|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gao find the body?
(a) Stuck in the boat propeller.
(b) Half burried next to a trail.
(c) Floating in a swamp.
(d) Hidden in some bushes.
2. What is Chen throwing when he is first introduced in the book?
(a) A surprise party.
(b) A housewarming party.
(c) A rock.
(d) A fit.
3. Where does the person who sent Chen a gift live?
(a) New York.
4. Who else does Chen notice in the background of Guan's photos?
(a) A hooded figure reflected in a mirror.
(b) No one.
(c) A child about 7 years old.
(d) A middle-aged man.
5. How much progress has been made on the case by the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Chen believes he know who the killer is.
(b) A few promising leads are left to be investigated.
(c) No progress.
(d) A witness has been located.
6. How did Guan's neighbors feel about her?
(a) They admired her.
(b) They disliked and resented her.
(c) They hardly saw her.
(d) They thought she was very loving and friendly.
7. What is the body that Gao finds wrapped in?
(a) A blanket.
(c) A plastic bag.
(d) A tarp.
8. Why does Lu ask Chen for a loan?
(a) To start a restaurant.
(b) To buy his wife a ring.
(c) To pay off a gambling debt.
(d) To send his ailing mother.
9. Who is the picture that Chen finds in Guan's photo album addressed to?
(a) Xie Rong.
(b) Comrade Zhaodi.
(c) Wu Xiaoming.
(d) Guan Hongying.
10. What else is Chen, besides a cop?
(a) A poet.
(b) A photographer.
(c) A runner.
(d) A golfer.
11. What type of accent did the man who called Guan on her last night alive have?
12. What is Chen's nickname for Lu?
(a) "Overseas Chinese."
(b) "Lucky Lu."
(c) "American Lou."
(d) "Lucy Lu."
13. What do Yu and Chen agree on regarding the political aspects of the case?
(a) They will make the case too suseptable to blackmail.
(b) They will make the case too public.
(c) They are overblown.
(d) They are frightening.
14. Where does Chen go to examine Guan's photos in Chapter 12?
(a) Chen's office.
(b) Guan's room.
(c) A coffeeshop.
(d) Yu's office.
15. What does Wang need Chang's help obtaining?
(a) A suitcase.
(c) A passport.
(d) A driver's license.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chen deduce, based on Guan's photos?
2. What does Yu's report confirm that the body found in the canal died of?
3. What does Party Secretary Li Guoha suggest Chen do with the murder case?
4. What gift does Chen receive in Chapter 11?
5. Wu Xiaoming had once photographed Guan for a _________.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)