* This is a murder mystery set in China in the early 1990s, when China is transitioning from Communism to a market-driven economy.
* Chapter 1 - May 11th, 1990 Captain Gao Ziling was fishing with a friend (instead of being on duty) in a remote canal near Shanghai and found a the naked body of a young woman wrapped in a large plastic bag stuck in their propeller.
* Gao covers the body and calls the Shanghai police.
* Chapter 2 - Chief Inspector Chen Cao, head of the special case squad of the Shanghai police, is throwing a housewarming party.
* Chen is a poet, as well as a cop, and uses his poetry to flirt with Wang Feng, a young reporter.
* Lu asks Chen for a loan in order to open a restaurant, and Chen gives the money requested free of interest.
* When only Chen and Wang are left at his...
This section contains 3,201 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)