|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing about which Nicodemus says Harry needs to learn?
2. How do Harry and the others catch up with Nicodemus' train?
3. What does Cassius refuse to reveal despite threats from Harry?
4. Who is Deirdre?
5. Why is Marcone willing to help bring down Nicodemus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicodemus offer Harry and what is Harry's reply?
2. What is Harry's reaction to the sample of the Shroud he picks up on the way to the meeting about the duel?
3. Why does Susan want to leave Harry's apartment and why can't she?
4. Describe the interaction between Marcone and Harry at the charity benefit.
5. How does Harry restrain Susan?
6. What does Susan say happened after she and Anna left the motel the day before?
7. Describe the battle for the Shroud on the train.
8. What does Shiro say to Harry about the duel and Harry's culpability for the war between the Red Court and the White Council?
9. Who captures Harry and where is he taken?
10. Describe the fight between the demons and Harry and Anna.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While facing the prospect of a duel with a vengeful and powerful vampire, Harry also has to navigate the temptations posed by the return of a sexy ex-girlfriend, track a missing religious artifact, and honestly answer some difficult personal questions about faith. As the action builds relentlessly to a final, apocalyptic confrontation between the forces of good and evil, the narrative also explores thematic questions related to the value of personal integrity and the temptations of power.
1. Explain two situations in which Harry had to rely on faith to get through the situation. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss three examples in Death Masks where Harry or another character demonstrated integrity in dealing with a situation. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, what you think draws people to power and why some people seem to need power and others ignore it. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Butcher' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout Death Masks and discuss Butcher' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Butcher and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)