|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Harry want to avoid?
2. According to Waldo Butters, what has disappeared?
3. What does Dresden's silver bracelet do?
4. What question does the spirit Harry summons about the Shroud ask Harry?
5. What is the living repository of all knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Harry's suppression spell slips?
2. Why does Harry turn over the cell phone from the boat to Karrin Murphy?
3. What does Susan ask Harry and what is his reply?
4. How does Father Vincent respond when Harry updates Vincent about Harry's attempts to recover the Shroud, and how does Harry react?
5. Who calls Harry after he has gone to bed and what does she want?
6. What does Michael reveal about the demon that the men just fought?
7. Who helps Harry overcome several demons after he leaves the morgue?
8. What are Harry's options for weapons in the duel and what does he at first choose?
9. What is a suppression spell and why does Harry have to cast it?
10. Where and with whom does Harry appear in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Butcher' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout Death Masks and discuss Butcher' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Butcher and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Death Masks? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Death Masks including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Death Masks and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
While facing the prospect of a duel with a vengeful and powerful vampire, Harry also has to navigate the temptations posed by the return of a sexy ex-girlfriend, track a missing religious artifact, and honestly answer some difficult personal questions about faith. As the action builds relentlessly to a final, apocalyptic confrontation between the forces of good and evil, the narrative also explores thematic questions related to the value of personal integrity and the temptations of power.
1. Explain two situations in which Harry had to rely on faith to get through the situation. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss three examples in Death Masks where Harry or another character demonstrated integrity in dealing with a situation. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss, in depth, what you think draws people to power and why some people seem to need power and others ignore it. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)