|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Harry consult the spirit?
2. What chases Harry after he leaves Murphy?
3. What does Fr. Vincent imply when talking with Harry?
4. What did LeRouche steal?
5. Who does Harry call after Kincaid and The Archive leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Susan ask Harry and what is his reply?
2. What is Harry's reaction to the mention of the focusing coin?
3. Who helps Harry overcome several demons after he leaves the morgue?
4. What does the spirit of Bob the Skull tell Harry?
5. Why does Harry lead Susan into his apartment but not invite her in?
6. What does Harry learn about the corpse while at the morgue?
7. Why does Harry turn over the cell phone from the boat to Karrin Murphy?
8. What does Harry discuss with Sanya and Shiro?
9. What is a suppression spell and why does Harry have to cast it?
10. Who has arrived at Harry's door, and why are they there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Death Masks, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Death Masks. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Death Masks interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Harry. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Susan. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ortega. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)