|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what has Susan become involved?
2. What is the living repository of all knowledge?
3. What chases Harry after he leaves Murphy?
4. To whom was the cell phone Harry took off the Erlanger contracted?
5. Why does Dresden push Fr. Vincent into a car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry lead Susan into his apartment but not invite her in?
2. Who is Susan and what does Mortimer say about her?
3. What does Harry discuss with Sanya and Shiro?
4. What does the spirit of Bob the Skull tell Harry?
5. How does Father Vincent respond when Harry updates Vincent about Harry's attempts to recover the Shroud, and how does Harry react?
6. Why does Harry turn over the cell phone from the boat to Karrin Murphy?
7. What do Ebenezar McCoy and Harry talk about on the phone?
8. What is a suppression spell and why does Harry have to cast it?
9. Where does Ulsharavas tell Harry the Shroud is and what does she say in addition to giving the location?
10. What does Michael reveal about the demon that the men just fought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Death Masks is difficult to gauge its success because it is one in a series of books about Harry Dresden. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of Death Masks that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of Death Masks that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 2
Death Masks belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Butcher' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout Death Masks and discuss Butcher' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Butcher and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)