|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A park bus killed a woman on July 15th, ___________.
2. After serving five years President ________________ pardoned Weber after the German consul pulled for him.
3. The era of drowning began in the __________________, when many private boats and boat rentals occurred there.
4. Where should one steer this boat?
5. When Ferguson shot Carpenter, killing him, did a jury find him guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where have the most drownings occurred? Why?
2. How often do forest fires take place? Why might this be?
3. Where did the Native Americans in Yellowstone live?
4. When have plane crashes occurred? Which was the largest craft to crash? Why is this significant?
5. Describe the first suicide at Yellowstone. How is this story important?
6. What is the single most likely cause of death at Yellowstone? Why might this be?
7. Describe the one fight that led to a death. Are you surprised by this death? Why or why not?
8. How do many visitors enter a park? What can be done to protect these people? How does this affect the park? What does the author have to say about these safety measures?
9. Why did Britton kill Cunningham? Should he have done this? Why or why not?
10. When did the era of drowning begin? How could this have been prevented or lessened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There have been several horse-related fatalities.
Part 1) Describe the use of the horse in the park's history. Why were horses so important? How did this change over time? Why did this change over time? How did this evolution affect Yellowstone?
Part 2) Describe four horse-related fatalities. Why did they take place? Could they have been prevented? If so, how? If not, why not? Who was found to be at fault, the victim, the park, or others? Why? Does the author agree with this decision? Why or why not?
Part 3) Overall, was the use of horses in the park a serious danger? Why or why not? How does this compare to the use of the automobile?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the suicides at Yellowstone were those of employees.
Part 1) Describe the suicides that took place at Yellowstone. Why did many of them take place? How do these deaths compare to other deaths that have taken place at Yellowstone?
Part 2) How does the author feel about the suicides? Why might he feel this way? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? How do the author's feelings regarding these suicides compare to how he feels about other deaths at Yellowstone?
Part 3) How does the author treat these suicide cases? Does he speak of them in a different tone than he does the other deaths? Why or why not? How does he show his compassion for all who have died at Yellowstone?
Essay Topic 3
Yellowstone National Park is a beautiful place yet it is full of fatal dangers.
Part 1) Describe Yellowstone National Park. How is it beautiful, yet dangerous? Why is this important to the author that the reader understand? How is the author's background and interests tied to the writing of this book?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this book? Does the author fulfill this purpose? If so, how? If not, why not? Can you relate to the purpose of this book? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might other places around the world be both beautiful and dangerous? Might the information in this book pertain to those places as well? Why or why not? What can be learned about the U.S. view of dangerous and beautiful places such as Yellowstone through this book? How might this compare to other views around the world?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)