|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jack Davis die?
(a) He fell off a high scaffolding.
(b) He tripped and fell into the canyon.
(c) He fell out of a tree.
(d) He was bitten by a snake.
2. Phillip Bassett died on May 1st, 1884 from what?
(a) An unknown poison.
(b) Shooting himself.
(c) An overdose of morphine.
(d) Stabbing himself.
3. When is the only time Whittlesey will consider sailing on the Lake?
(a) When it is late at night.
(b) When it is in the middle of the day.
(c) When it is early morning or late night.
(d) When it is early in the morning.
4. Who does the author fear will destroy the park?
(a) The park rangers.
(b) The animals.
(c) Irresponsible, litigious park visitors.
(d) The government.
5. How deep is this dangerous lake in some places?
(a) 450 feet deep.
(b) 350 feet deep.
(c) 45 feet deep.
(d) 750 feet deep.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1937, a horrible fire killed fifteen __________________ and injured thirty-nine others.
2. Between where was the first aircraft traveling when it crashed in Yellowstone?
3. The era of drowning began in the __________________, when many private boats and boat rentals occurred there.
4. In 1949 a bus accident killed who?
5. Prevailing winds can produce waves __________________ feet high.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author end the book? Why does he end it in this way?
2. Did any drownings take place simultaneously? Why or why not?
3. How often do forest fires take place? Why might this be?
4. What does Whittlesey think about these early deaths? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
5. What were the causes of the earliest Yellowstone deaths? Why is little known about these deaths?
6. How do most drownings occur?
7. How many people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning? How is this relevant to today?
8. Describe the first suicide at Yellowstone. How is this story important?
9. When did the era of drowning begin? How could this have been prevented or lessened?
10. Describe the one fight that led to a death. Are you surprised by this death? Why or why not?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)