|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________ fur trappers were killed in 1839 and two park visitors in 1877.
2. The Shoshones and Bannocks lived to the ___________________.
(a) East and north.
(b) West and north.
(c) West and south.
(d) East and south.
3. What else is important regarding the boat?
(a) It should be large and heavy.
(b) It should be in good shape and not overloaded.
(c) It should be made of wood.
(d) It should be new.
4. Whittlesey argues that Yellowstone must not be what?
(b) Left wild.
(c) Viewed by the general public.
(d) Allowed to continue.
5. During a later physical fight, Zutavern starting beating Weber with a rock. How did Weber respond?
(a) He stabbed Zutavern.
(b) By shooting Zutavern in the left breast.
(c) He started screaming.
(d) He hit Zutavern with another rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes people simply do what, regarding their time in the park?
2. The era of drowning began in the __________________, when many private boats and boat rentals occurred there.
3. ____________ murders have occurred inside Yellowstone and ten in nearby towns.
4. Most suicides have been by whom?
5. What must everyone in the boat have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How often do forest fires take place? Why might this be?
2. Did any drownings take place simultaneously? Why or why not?
3. Describe one of the shootings. What does this story reveal about those who were involved in this shooting and about guns?
4. How does the author end the book? Why does he end it in this way?
5. What does Whittlesey think about these early deaths? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
6. What was the 'Grand Tour?' How did this affect the safety of those in the park?
7. When did the era of drowning begin? How could this have been prevented or lessened?
8. How many have died in the Yellowstone River? What most likely led to these deaths?
9. Describe the violent deaths in Yellowstone. What does this reveal about the wild and national parks?
10. Where have the most drownings occurred? Why?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)