|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ____________ fur trappers were killed in 1839 and two park visitors in 1877.
2. The Blackfeet to the _____________ and the Crows to the northeast.
3. The largest aircraft death was the first, when ___________________ crashed.
(a) US Air 149.
(c) Boeing 747.
(d) US Air Force B-17 Bomber.
4. LeRoy R. Piper disappeared on July 30th, _________.
5. It is _____________ that forest fires take lives in Yellowstone.
(b) Not uncommon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Horse and stage coach accidents were fairly common, about _________ times more common than auto accidents today.
2. Between where was the first aircraft traveling when it crashed in Yellowstone?
3. There is a challenge of balancing what?
4. What else is important regarding the boat?
5. A self-defense shooting happened in 1886 when stockmen Alex Ferguson and Charles Carpenter had just had a fight about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Whittlesey think about the suicides that take place?
2. What is known about stagecoach wrecks in the park? What was the cause of most accidents? Why might this have been a consistent problem?
3. Describe the one fight that led to a death. Are you surprised by this death? Why or why not?
4. What does the author say about people and their interest in chasms? Why is this significant?
5. How many have died in the Yellowstone River? What most likely led to these deaths?
6. What does Whittlesey think about these early deaths? Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
7. Describe the violent deaths in Yellowstone. What does this reveal about the wild and national parks?
8. Describe the first suicide at Yellowstone. How is this story important?
9. Did any drownings take place simultaneously? Why or why not?
10. What happened to Charles Kenck and Richard Dietrch? Why did this happen?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)