|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A ________________ soldier drowned due to falling in the water and another died from falling due to intoxication.
2. More people in Yellowstone have died from _________________ than any other single cause of death save those not included in the book.
(a) Heart attacks.
(c) Insect bites.
3. When did the first two drownings occur?
(a) In 1783.
(b) In 1893.
(c) In 1873.
(d) In 1883.
4. Whittlesey argues that Yellowstone must not be what?
(a) Viewed by the general public.
(b) Left wild.
(c) Allowed to continue.
5. One death from _______________ occurred when, on August 15th, 1919, Louis Boatman was touring the park with his aunt and sister and decided to swim in the Yellowstone River.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seven have drowned from _______________ and due to falling in the Gardner River.
2. Does the wild does care whether you live or die?
3. Mrs. Joseph Lippman was killed in ___________ when their stagecoach struck a rock on the road and flipped over.
4. ______________________ occur in Yellowstone nearly every day but no known deaths have been caused by them.
5. Weber accused Zutavern of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one of the shootings. What does this story reveal about those who were involved in this shooting and about guns?
2. What were the causes of the earliest Yellowstone deaths? Why is little known about these deaths?
3. When were automobiles first seen in the park? How did this affect the death rate?
4. How many have died in the Yellowstone River? What most likely led to these deaths?
5. What is the single most likely cause of death at Yellowstone? Why might this be?
6. What does Whittlesey think about the suicides that take place?
7. What does the author say about people and their interest in chasms? Why is this significant?
8. Where did the Native Americans in Yellowstone live?
9. Why did Britton kill Cunningham? Should he have done this? Why or why not?
10. How do most drownings occur?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)