|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whittlesey understands that humans want to do what regarding large animals?
(a) Run away from them.
(b) Touch them.
(c) Hug them.
(d) Kill them.
2. What did the bear do with Walker?
(a) It bit him.
(b) It dragged him away.
(c) It ignored him.
(d) It ran away from him.
3. Both gases are found in high concentrations where?
(a) In caves and caverns.
(b) In the thermal areas and the caves.
(c) In thermal areas and pools of water.
(d) In the forest and ponds.
4. When was Walker's body found?
(a) At 5:00 am.
(b) At 5:00 pm.
(c) At 12:00 am.
(d) At 12:00 pm.
5. The worst accident happened June 28th, __________, when Andy C. Hect, 9, was walking with his family along Crested Pool near Old Faithful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Other people added their injuries to his campaign and it resulted in increased funding for what and more warnings in handout literature?
2. How many human deaths have occurred because of poisonous gases?
3. What caused most trees to fall down?
4. Nineteen have died due to hot springs and ______________ were children.
5. Kirwan prepared to go in the spring and a bystander yelled what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yellowstone National Park fascinating for many visitors?
2. What happened to Harry Walker? Are you surprised by this story? Why or why not?
3. What does the author understand about how humans feel about large, wild animals? What advice does he give?
4. How did Andy Hecht's death affect the park? Does the author see this change as good or bad? Why?
5. When people feed bears, who is at fault? Why?
6. What has the author noticed about people's behavior around the wild animals found at the park? Why might they act this way?
7. Why did many of the deaths described in this book take place?
8. Why were people killed in the 1930s by bears? Why might the bears have killed in these cases?
9. How did Harry Walker and Crow's story affect life for the bears at Yellowstone? Is this good or bad?
10. What are the two naturally occurring poisonous gases at Yellowstone? Where can they be found? Why is this important to know?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)