|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ferguson shot Carpenter, killing him, did a jury find him guilty?
(b) Yes, but not right away.
(d) The jury was never able to come to an agreement.
2. This lake is 136 square miles with ____________ miles of shoreline.
3. An accidental shooting occurred on November 15th, 1938 when Robert Leroy 'Pud' Robinson, a thirteen year old son of the Master Mechanic of the park, was playing with a loaded .22 rifle. What happened?
(a) At 5:15 pm, he shot himself in the head.
(b) At 5:15 pm, he shot himself in the arm.
(c) At 5:15 pm, he shot his friend in the head.
(d) At 5:15 pm, he shot his sister in the head.
4. How does Whittlesey think Piper died?
(a) From falling into the canyon.
(b) From a plant poison.
(c) From falling into a hot spring and disintegrating.
(d) From being eaten by a bear.
5. Perhaps the last stagecoach wreck occurred on July 24th, _____________.
6. As of 1995, ___________________ people have died from falls in Yellowstone, four from man-made structures, three from mounts and the rest into canyons.
7. Horses combined with wagons have killed at least _____________ people.
8. Seven people have died from ______________ poisoning.
(a) Carbon monoxide.
(b) Hydrogen dioxide.
(c) Nitrous oxide.
(d) Carbon dioxide.
9. The automobile was allowed into Yellowstone in August, ___________ and the park has been motorized since the summer of 1917.
10. One death from _______________ occurred when, on August 15th, 1919, Louis Boatman was touring the park with his aunt and sister and decided to swim in the Yellowstone River.
11. The most drownings have occurred in __________________ Lake and arguably no body of water in the Park (and probably in the whole United States) is more potentially dangerous.
12. Where should one steer this boat?
(a) Across the lake.
(b) To the center of the lake.
(c) Near the north shore of the lake.
(d) Close to shore.
13. Is Yellowstone National Park a visitor's friend?
(c) Yes, but rarely.
(d) Yes, most of the time.
14. What is known about these early incidents?
(a) Absolutely nothing.
(b) Quite a bit.
(d) A great deal.
15. ____________ fur trappers were killed in 1839 and two park visitors in 1877.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding this balance, which way does the author believe our culture errs?
2. Between where was the first aircraft traveling when it crashed in Yellowstone?
3. Six people have drowned in fairly unusual places, such as ________________ Lake and Hellroaring Creek.
4. The era of drowning began in the __________________, when many private boats and boat rentals occurred there.
5. However, the Yellowstone River has claimed ____________________ lives.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)