|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction, Chapters 1-2, Hold Fast to Your Children: Death in Hot Water, 'These Animals Are Not Real': The Myth That Can Kill You!.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Full board walkways were not introduced into thermal areas until the __________.
2. New trails were carved for what purpose?
(a) To give visitors something to do other than visit springs and geysers.
(b) To avoid springs and geysers.
(c) To encourage visitors to go hiking.
(d) To bring visitors closer to the springs and geysers.
3. James filed a wrongful death lawsuit and received _______________.
4. Two hard-and-fast rules in Yellowstone are what?
(a) To not walk or ski in a thermal area in dark or blizzard conditions and to always camp in your assigned backcountry site.
(b) To follow marked trails only and to avoid leaving food in open containers.
(c) To not go near thermal areas and to stay in your tent at night.
(d) To keep children in sight and to never bring pets.
5. One of the worst things about falling into the spring is realizing what?
(a) One could remain fully conscious for hours awaiting death.
(b) One could get second degree burns.
(c) One could become blind.
(d) One could die instantly.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author, Lee H. Whittlesey, was a Yellowstone Park Ranger and later a ______ student.
2. Nineteen have died due to hot springs and ______________ were children.
3. What soon happened when Kirwan got out of the water?
4. The injuries began early, at least in _________ when Macon Josey and photographer H.B. Calfee entered the area.
5. Death in Yellowstone covers ____________ hundred deaths and each one was a very emotional story for someone, so the author has tried to be delicate.
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)