|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do hunters tend to shoot hippos to kill them?
2. What are the two primary species of rhino?
3. What kind of snake did Seymour have to avoid when he was out driving with his wife?
4. What kind of snake is a black mamba?
5. What animal corpses do Capstick and Mason bait locations with to catch the crocodiles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Capstick eventually find the snake?
2. What happens to the rhinoceros when Capstick shoots it in the base of its horn?
3. What does the gunbearer, Chagga, do when a hunter receives a spurt of cobra venom in his eyes?
4. How does Capstick track down the crocodile in Chapter 6?
5. What does Capstick do when he finds a large black mamba in the restroom?
6. Describe crocodiles.
7. Describe how a hippopotamus attacked a native family in Chapter 5.
8. Why is the rhinoceros so dangerous?
9. Why does Capstick give rhinoceros hunting less attention than other forms of hunting in the book?
10. What makes a crocodile attack so unnerving for observers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare African and western cultures.
1) What are the differences between the two cultures?
2) In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
3) How have Westerners damaged the African environment including the wildlife?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the animals in the book and examine the myths surrounding that animal in popular culture. What myths are there? How did these myths develop? What is the truth behind the myth?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Rudraprayag leopard. Why did the Rudraprayag leopard terrorize the village? Have there been any similar incidents in the past? How could the villagers have lured and killed the leopard?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)