|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the arm that identifies it as the local woman's?
2. Why do hunters prize a rhino's horn so highly?
3. What kind of snake is a black mamba?
4. What does the hippo use to scissor Root's flesh from the bone?
5. What does Capstick say killing a hippo can lead to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Charlie disappear to in Chapter 7?
2. Why are hippopotami important to the ecosystem?
3. What does Capstick do when he finds a large black mamba in the restroom?
4. Describe the hippo attack on Alan and his wife.
5. Describe how a hippopotamus attacked a native family in Chapter 5.
6. What happens to the rhinoceros when Capstick shoots it in the base of its horn?
7. Why is the rhinoceros so dangerous?
8. How do crocodiles kill their prey?
9. What does Capstick state has led to the rhincerosi decline?
10. What makes a crocodile attack so unnerving for observers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think made Capstick a good hunter? What did Capstick have to learn to become a successful hunter?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following animals from the text--leopard, lion, snake and crocodile--and examine it in relation to its:
1) Hunting skills
3) Methods it uses to kill its prey
Essay Topic 3
Examine Capstick's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Capstick's style give to the story?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)