|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do crocodiles catch their prey?
2. What kind of hippos are most likely to attack humans?
3. How do crocodiles view humans?
4. What makes it difficult to shoot crocodiles?
5. What was the snake's tail pinned down by?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do cobra snakes attack their enemies?
2. Describe the career of J. A. Hunter.
3. Why does Capstick give rhinoceros hunting less attention than other forms of hunting in the book?
4. What do they find inside the crocodile in Chapter 6.
5. Where does Charlie disappear to in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the different varieties of mamba snakes.
7. Describe how a hippopotamus attacked a native family in Chapter 5.
8. What does Alan Root describe in his article?
9. What does the gunbearer, Chagga, do when a hunter receives a spurt of cobra venom in his eyes?
10. What happens to the rhinoceros when Capstick shoots it in the base of its horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Capstick's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? What elements seem to be wholly fictionalized?
Essay Topic 2
What makes leopards Africa's best predators? How does Capstick show how the leopard's superior hunting skills are a serious danger to humans? How can either a human or animal defeat the leopard?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following snakes and examine when they are most likely to attack, how they attack and how to save someone somebody who has been attacked by that snake:
1) Black mamba
3) Puff adder
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)