|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 29, Brennan and Ryan know what about the mystery leader who commands the Saint Helena and Texas compounds?
2. Why does Brennan wake up suddenly in Chapter 21?
3. Who does Brennan think the second Murtry Island victim might be in Chapter 26?
4. In Chapter 31, where does Brennan find Jeannotte?
5. In Chapter 22, what does Dr. Skyler say is one difference between cults and organized religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 21, what is the main suspenseful event? What does Brennan say or do that heightens the suspense?
2. In Chapter 27, why is Kit worried about Harry?
3. In Chapter 34, what is one internal conflict that Brennan faces? Describe why it is a problem for her.
4. Kathryn gives Brennan more information to connect St-Jovite to the Saint Helena commune in Chapter 25. What does she tell Brennan that shows this connection?
5. In Chapter 26, what are the three things that have probably set off Dom Owens' cult into a violent phase? Who tells Brennan this?
6. In Chapter 19, Kathryn talks about what the group she belongs to does. What does she say that reminds her of Harry? Is it significant?
7. The climax occurs at the end of Chapter 33. What happens? Why is this the climax and not a later event?
8. In Chapter 25, Kathryn shows up at Brennan's door. What does she say was Heidi's motivation for leaving the commune?
9. In Chapter 24, there are now three pieces of evidence to tie the Murtry Island victims to the St-Jovite victims. What are they? Why might this be significant?
10. In Chapter 35, Brennan finally reveals the mystery of the Elisabeth Nicolet bones. What was the mystery? Why might it be a problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of rejection of the world comes up not only in the cults philosophies, but also in Brennan and Harry's response to religion. What might cause someone to reject a faith they grew up with their whole life? What is the difference between the cult's, as well as Brennan's and Harry's reactions? Write a paper comparing and contrasting motivations and outcomes.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses allusions in the novel, "Death Du Jour." These allusions are meant to be easily recognized by the reader and add to the scene. Find at least three allusions used in the novel and write an essay about how the allusions support the mood, setting, and/or characterization in the scene. Moreover, you will need to do some research into the allusion. Who or what was alluded? What is most well-known about the allusion?
Essay Topic 3
A climax chart helps organize the events of a story. Looking at a climax chart for "Death Du Jour," would you change the order? Why or why not? How does the order of the rising action help the effectiveness of the climax? Does it weaken the climax? In an analytical essay, determine the effectiveness of the organization of the novel. Use example from "Death Du Jour" to defend your position.
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)