|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ryan want in return for helping Brennan in Chapter 33?
2. In Chapter 31, where does Brennan find Jeannotte?
3. In Chapter 29, Brennan and Ryan know what about the mystery leader who commands the Saint Helena and Texas compounds?
4. Who shows up during a storm at the end of Chapter 24?
5. What is Kathryn's response when told that Heidi is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 21, what is the main suspenseful event? What does Brennan say or do that heightens the suspense?
2. The climax occurs at the end of Chapter 33. What happens? Why is this the climax and not a later event?
3. Kathryn gives Brennan more information to connect St-Jovite to the Saint Helena commune in Chapter 25. What does she tell Brennan that shows this connection?
4. In Chapter 28, Ryan calls Brennan. What happened to the people at the Saint Helena compound? What happened to the people in Texas? Why is this odd?
5. What is the anti-climactic event that happens in Chapter 24? Why is it anti-climatic?
6. In Chapter 23, Ryan calls Brennan to tell her about the owner of the Saint Helena property. Who owns it? What other property does this person own? What might this mean?
7. In Chapter 24, there are now three pieces of evidence to tie the Murtry Island victims to the St-Jovite victims. What are they? Why might this be significant?
8. What does Red tell Brennan about cults in Chapter 28 that worries her?
9. In Chapter 35, Ryan stays Brennan while healing and loose ends are tied up. What loose ends are resolved? Give at least two examples.
10. In Chapter 31, Jeannotte visits Brennan. What is the tone in the conversation? Why does Brennan believe Jeannotte is involved with the cult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is "Death Du Jour" a work of hope or despair? Write an essay using examples and citing the book to defend your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of rejection of the world comes up not only in the cults philosophies, but also in Brennan and Harry's response to religion. What might cause someone to reject a faith they grew up with their whole life? What is the difference between the cult's, as well as Brennan's and Harry's reactions? Write a paper comparing and contrasting motivations and outcomes.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the red-herrings in the novel. How does a red-herring effect the suspense of the novel? What genres typically use red-herrings? Why would Kathy Reichs choose to use a red-herring? Is it effective? Why?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)