|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Dr. West, the bodies found on Murtry Island had been dead for how long?
2. In Chapter 35, who stays with Brennan for a while?
3. In Chapter 23, what does Ryan learn St-Jovite has in common with the Saint Helena property?
4. What is the weather like in Chapter 31?
5. What does the note in Chapter 21 say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Brennan believe that Anna Goyette was the second Murtry Island victim? Use Chapters 25 and 26 to help form your answer.
2. In Chapter 25, Kathryn shows up at Brennan's door. What does she say was Heidi's motivation for leaving the commune?
3. In Chapter 34, what does Brennan tell Elle that makes Elle angry?
4. What does Red tell Brennan about cults in Chapter 28 that worries her?
5. In Chapter 27, why is Kit worried about Harry?
6. In Chapter 26, what are the three things that have probably set off Dom Owens' cult into a violent phase? Who tells Brennan this?
7. In Chapter 23, Ryan calls Brennan to tell her about the owner of the Saint Helena property. Who owns it? What other property does this person own? What might this mean?
8. In Chapter 30, how does Anna know Amalie Provencher? What was their relationship?
9. In Chapter 21, what is the main suspenseful event? What does Brennan say or do that heightens the suspense?
10. In Chapter 32, Ryan updates Brennan on the case. How did the cult members avoid the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of the resolution. Does it resolve too quickly or not quick enough? Was the climax strong enough or was there a moment in rising action that felt stronger? Does it make sense for Ryan to stay with Brennan? Why or why not? Does Daisy Jeannotte's death make sense? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does foreshadowing affect the mood in "Death Du Jour." Find at least three examples of foreshadowing and write a five paragraph essay detailing what the author foreshadowed, how it affects the mood of the narrative, and how it affects the suspense. Use examples to support assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Although from the same home background, Temperance Brennan and her sister Harriet lead extremely different lives. Write a paper comparing and contrasting the sisters. Analyze how these similarities and differences play a role in their relationship with each other.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)