|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28, what is another link Brennan believes exists among the murder victims?
2. Why does Jeannotte seek Brennan out in Chapter 31?
3. Who does Brennan think the second Murtry Island victim might be in Chapter 26?
4. In Chapter 35, which of Brennan's two homes is she staying in for the summer?
5. What does Brennan's cat like to chew on?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Kathryn lets a few clues slip about the investigation. What are they (give at least two) and how do they relate to the case?
2. In Chapter 34, what does Brennan tell Elle that makes Elle angry?
3. In Chapter 27, why is Kit worried about Harry?
4. What makes Brennan believe that Anna Goyette was the second Murtry Island victim? Use Chapters 25 and 26 to help form your answer.
5. In Chapter 21, what is the main suspenseful event? What does Brennan say or do that heightens the suspense?
6. In Chapter 32, Ryan updates Brennan on the case. How did the cult members avoid the police?
7. In Chapter 31, Kit tells that he missed a message from Harry. How did he miss it? What was significant about the message?
8. What is the anti-climactic event that happens in Chapter 24? Why is it anti-climatic?
9. In Chapter 22, Brennan visits her friend in the sociology department, Red Skyler. She asks Red questions about cults. What characteristics does Dom have in common with a typical cult leader?
10. In Chapter 28, Ryan calls Brennan. What happened to the people at the Saint Helena compound? What happened to the people in Texas? Why is this odd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a dynamic character who changed throughout the novel and write a character profile on him or her. Focus on his or her personality at the beginning, what catalyst causes him or her to change, and the result. Make sure to cite the book and use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay comparing the diction used in North Carolina with the diction used in Montreal. What does diction show about characters and locations?
Essay Topic 3
A climax chart helps organize the events of a story. Looking at a climax chart for "Death Du Jour," would you change the order? Why or why not? How does the order of the rising action help the effectiveness of the climax? Does it weaken the climax? In an analytical essay, determine the effectiveness of the organization of the novel. Use example from "Death Du Jour" to defend your position.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)