|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her report about the St -Jovite victim, what does Brennan conclude killed the victim?
2. What is Sam passionate about?
3. What shape left a bruise on one of the victims in Chapter 7?
4. Brennan's friend Mitch describes Dr. Jeannotte as the Professor of Religious Studies and what?
5. In Chapter 12, why does Claudel call Brennan.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, why does Brennan read from the Belanger journals?
2. In Chapter 14, Brennan resists helping Ryan, but ends up agreeing to meet with him. What were her reasons? Give more than one.
3. Describe Harry's character. What does she look like? How does she act? What does she value?
4. How does the information that Anna Goyette is Dr. Jeannotte's assistant increase the suspense?
5. In Chapter 6, Brennan meets Dr. Jeannotte's teaching assistant. Describe the teaching assistant based on Brennan's observations and conversation with her.
6. In Chapter 13, what types of things does Brennan do to establish boundaries between her ex-husband and herself?
7. In Chapter 17, Ryan complains about not being able to reach Sheriff Baker. What is ironic about this? Explain.
8. In Chapter 18, Brennan and Ryan find a commune on Saint Helena Island. What is suspicious about the behavior they encounter? Give examples.
9. What suspenseful event happens at the end of Chapter 15 ? What makes it suspenseful? What does it lead to in Chapter 16?
10. In Chapter 12, why does Monsieur Claudel think the woman he found dead is Anna Goyette and still think so after Brennan asks Sister Julienne? Why does Sister Julienne disagree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a dynamic character who changed throughout the novel and write a character profile on him or her. Focus on his or her personality at the beginning, what catalyst causes him or her to change, and the result. Make sure to cite the book and use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Although from the same home background, Temperance Brennan and her sister Harriet lead extremely different lives. Write a paper comparing and contrasting the sisters. Analyze how these similarities and differences play a role in their relationship with each other.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the red-herrings in the novel. How does a red-herring effect the suspense of the novel? What genres typically use red-herrings? Why would Kathy Reichs choose to use a red-herring? Is it effective? Why?
This section contains 1,529 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)