|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ryan ask Brennan to do in Chapter 9?
2. What evidence makes Brennan believe that she has the bones of Sister Elisabeth Nicolet?
3. What does Brennan always get to drink?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Brennan learn about Elisabeth's mother?
5. What are the unique features of a young woman found dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pierre LaManche call Brennan at three in the morning in Chapter 1?
2. What type of person is Sandy O'Reilly? Is she a reliable character? Give evidence to support your assertions.
3. In Chapter 14, Brennan resists helping Ryan, but ends up agreeing to meet with him. What were her reasons? Give more than one.
4. What evidence in Chapter 2 makes Brennan worry about finding children in St-Jovite?
5. What happens when Brennan asks Jeannotte if Anna participates in a Satanic cult?
6. What is ironic about Dr. Jeannotte telling Dr. Brennan that evil people don't exist and that "the myth continues, even here in Montreal, only now there's a new bogeyman practicing ritual child killing" (113)?
7. What do the events in Chapters 16 and 17 reveal about Brennan's character?
8. Where is Temperance Brennan from and what does she do? What is she working on in Chapter 1?
9. What type of procedure does Brennan have to do on the murdered infants bodies in Chapter 7? Describe the procedure. Why does she need to do this?
10. In Chapter 6, Dr. Brennan visits Dr. Jeannotte to find out if she can help her find information about Elisabeth Nicolet's birth. At the end of the conversation, Jeannotte asks Brennan if she believes in God and Brennan replies that she does not always believe in the next day. What does this dialogue reveal about Jeannotte? About Brennan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Keeping in mind that the narrator is not necessarily the voice, a novel still reveals an author's values. What does Kathy Reichs value in life? How do you know? What does she disvalue in life? Defend your assertions by using examples in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the red-herrings in the novel. How does a red-herring effect the suspense of the novel? What genres typically use red-herrings? Why would Kathy Reichs choose to use a red-herring? Is it effective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of the resolution. Does it resolve too quickly or not quick enough? Was the climax strong enough or was there a moment in rising action that felt stronger? Does it make sense for Ryan to stay with Brennan? Why or why not? Does Daisy Jeannotte's death make sense? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)