|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brennan collect bugs while exhuming the bodies?
2. Brennan's friend Mitch describes Dr. Jeannotte as the Professor of Religious Studies and what?
3. What is Brennan's daughter's name?
4. What evidence makes Brennan believe that she has the bones of Sister Elisabeth Nicolet?
5. In Chapter 16, a monkey dropped what on the shelter Brennan was relaxing in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point of view is the novel written in and what does the reader learn about the narrator as a result? Give specifics from the novel.
2. What do the events in Chapters 16 and 17 reveal about Brennan's character?
3. In Chapter 14, Brennan resists helping Ryan, but ends up agreeing to meet with him. What were her reasons? Give more than one.
4. What suspenseful event happens at the end of Chapter 11? What might it foreshadow? Was there anything that foreshadowed this happening? If so, what?
5. Chapter 3 introduces Detective Ryan. What type of relationship do Ryan and Brennan have?
6. Describe Harry's character. What does she look like? How does she act? What does she value?
7. What suspenseful event happens at the end of Chapter 15 ? What makes it suspenseful? What does it lead to in Chapter 16?
8. By the end of Chapter 4, Temperance Brennan is already working on two cases. What are the two cases and why was she asked to take them?
9. In Chapter 13, what types of things does Brennan do to establish boundaries between her ex-husband and herself?
10. In Chapters 15 through 18, Brennan becomes snippy with Ryan. What is the probable cause of her wish to not see Ryan and her rude behavior when speaking with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the red-herrings in the novel. How does a red-herring effect the suspense of the novel? What genres typically use red-herrings? Why would Kathy Reichs choose to use a red-herring? Is it effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Temperance Brennan and Andrew Ryan work together often and feel attracted to each other. At the same time, they drive each other crazy. Write a paper comparing and contrasting Brennan and Ryan. Conclude with an analysis of why they like each other and still fight all the time.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of isolation is most clearly evident in Dr. Brennan's character. How does she isolate herself? What motivates her to isolate herself? Does she change at the end of the novel? What is the author's view of isolation based on her treatment of Brennan? What does the ending suggest will happen to Brennan?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)