|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Brennan's sister take her first classes?
2. What does Brennan find in the basement in Chapter 3?
3. Where were the bodies of the victims found in Chapter 7?
4. What problem does Brennan encounter with a fireman while waiting to go to the basement in Chapter 3?
5. What is the setting for Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Brennan is shocked when she sees the skull of Elisabeth Nicolet, but she does not indicate why. Why does Kathy Reich withhold this information? What is the effect? And what might be the problem based on Brennan's questions to the priest?
2. What happens when Brennan asks Jeannotte if Anna participates in a Satanic cult?
3. In Chapter 13, what types of things does Brennan do to establish boundaries between her ex-husband and herself?
4. What type of person is Brennan? How do you know?
5. While waiting to go into the basement to look at some remains, Brennan finds the fireman offensive. What does he say and do that makes her uncomfortable? What does this tell you about the type of world Brennan works in?
6. What do the events in Chapters 16 and 17 reveal about Brennan's character?
7. Kathy Reichs uses jargon to help create credibility for her character's professions. Which characters use jargon and why?
8. Why does Pierre LaManche call Brennan at three in the morning in Chapter 1?
9. Chapter 3 introduces Detective Ryan. What type of relationship do Ryan and Brennan have?
10. What is ironic about Dr. Jeannotte telling Dr. Brennan that evil people don't exist and that "the myth continues, even here in Montreal, only now there's a new bogeyman practicing ritual child killing" (113)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay comparing the diction used in North Carolina with the diction used in Montreal. What does diction show about characters and locations?
Essay Topic 2
Pick three scenes where dialogue played a vital role in either moving the action along or revealing something about a characters. In an essay, determine the importance of dialogue and why this was the best way or why there is a better way to do this.
Essay Topic 3
How does foreshadowing affect the mood in "Death Du Jour." Find at least three examples of foreshadowing and write a five paragraph essay detailing what the author foreshadowed, how it affects the mood of the narrative, and how it affects the suspense. Use examples to support assertions.
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)