|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Johnny died, Frances had a hard time facing all the things that he used to love and remembered how he had especially loved his what?
2. In one letter to his father in "A Few More of His Letters," Johnny commented on how the physics teacher had told the class that if the students spent how much a night on their subject, they would do all right?
3. What was a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
4. What word means marked by or showing bravery or valor; heroic?
5. Johnny wrote to his parents that he had identified how many alloys or metals in "A Few More of His Letters"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gunther describe the weather at Johnny's funeral in "Aftermath"?
2. How did Johnny feel about his illness during his hospitalization in June 12 in Chapter 5?
3. What thoughts and themes are revealed in "A Word From Frances"?
4. How was Johnny's recovery after his operation progressing in the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Who encouraged Johnny to keep a diary in "The Diary"? What is revealed in his diary?
6. What did Johnny write about in 1937 and 1938 in "A Few More of His Letters"?
7. What is notable about Johnny's parents in the narrative? What qualities did they exhibit in the face of Johnny's illness and death?
8. What "normal teen problems" did Johnny deal with as revealed in "A Few More of His Letters"?
9. What was Johnny reading and studying in his last entries from "The Diary"?
10. Describe Johnny's graduation in Chapter 5. How was Johnny received by his peers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the interests of Johnny Gunther as revealed in the book's Foreword. What inspired Johnny's interest in music and the sciences?
Essay Topic 2
What did Johnny go through physically and emotionally as he was given x-ray treatment in New York in the narrative? How difficult was the treatment for Johnny's parents?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of denial in the book. How did Johnny attempt to block out the seriousness of his condition?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)