|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny's letters from 1937 and 1938 in "A Few More of His Letters" showed that the young boy had an avid interest in what?
2. After Johnny died, Frances had a hard time facing all the things that he used to love and remembered how he had especially loved his what?
3. After his first operation, Johnny wrote to some school friends describing his hospital stay and explained that they had to drill three holes into his skull in "A Few More of His Letters"?
4. Johnny was hospitalized once again on what date in Chapter 5, being then discharged and having two or three good days during which he went out to films and spent time with friends?
5. When Johnny returned home in Chapter 5, he stayed relatively well for a while, although it was increasingly difficult for him in regard to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johnny write to his mother about when he was sixteen in "A Few More of His Letters"?
2. What thoughts and themes are revealed in "A Word From Frances"?
3. What caused Johnny's death in Chapter 5? Where did he die?
4. What problems with motor skills did Johnny have after leaving the hospital on May 15 in Chapter 5?
5. What did Johnny write about in 1937 and 1938 in "A Few More of His Letters"?
6. How was Johnny's recovery after his operation progressing in the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. When was the first letter written in "A Few More of His Letters"? What perspective do the letters lend?
8. How did Johnny's letters in "A Few More of His Letters" reveal his love of education?
9. Why did Johnny's father tell him an outright lie in Chapter 5?
10. What is revealed about the traveling of Johnny's family in "A Few More of His Letters"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Johnny's relationship with Mary in the narrative. How did Mary feel about Johnny? What was her reaction to his condition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the world events which took place during Johnny's childhood. How exposed was Johnny to the events of World War II and what impact did they have on him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the progression of Johnny's tumor in the winter of 1946. What medically was happening to the tumor? How did doctors hope to treat it?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)