|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, just before Johnny became critically ill, he and his father discussed books and writing and talked about going to the country on what day?
2. In "The Diary", Johnny wrote that he had decided to accept death without what?
3. How many siblings did Johnny have?
4. In "A Few More of His Letters," Johnny demonstrated a _____ relationship with his parents through his letters.
5. When was Pierre Lecomte du Nouy born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who encouraged Johnny to keep a diary in "The Diary"? What is revealed in his diary?
2. What was the goal of Johnny's doctors and family after his graduation in Chapter 5?
3. How was Johnny's illness and the progression of his illness unusual for the type of cancer that he had?
4. What did Johnny write to this father when he was sixteen in "A Few More of His Letters"?
5. What led to Johnny's father calling Frances on June 27 in Chapter 5?
6. What did Johnny write to his mother about when he was sixteen in "A Few More of His Letters"?
7. How did Johnny feel about his illness during his hospitalization in June 12 in Chapter 5?
8. How does Gunther describe the weather at Johnny's funeral in "Aftermath"?
9. What interests were revealed in letters from 1939 in "A Few More of His Letters"?
10. What did the surgeons tell Johnny's family would be helpful for the medical community in "Aftermath"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the progression of Johnny's tumor in the winter of 1946. What medically was happening to the tumor? How did doctors hope to treat it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of Dr. Gerson's Diet on Johnny's tumor as discussed in Chapter 3. How did Johnny feel about the diet?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the interests of Johnny Gunther as revealed in the book's Foreword. What inspired Johnny's interest in music and the sciences?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)