|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a piece of music in which a refrain is repeated between episodes and often constitutes the form of the last movement of a sonata or concerto?
2. Johnny was how old when he wrote about going to an observatory and asked his father to send him his chemistry books?
3. During his brief life, Johnny had discovered a new way to liquefy what compound?
4. When was Henry DeWolf Smyth born?
5. What refers to keen mental suffering or distress over affliction or loss; sharp sorrow; painful regret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the goal of Johnny's doctors and family after his graduation in Chapter 5?
2. What did Johnny write to this father when he was sixteen in "A Few More of His Letters"?
3. How does Gunther describe the weather at Johnny's funeral in "Aftermath"?
4. What interests were revealed in letters from 1939 in "A Few More of His Letters"?
5. What interests did Johnny write about in his letters from age thirteen to fifteen in "A Few More of His Letters"?
6. What problems with motor skills did Johnny have after leaving the hospital on May 15 in Chapter 5?
7. What did Johnny write about his medical treatments in "The Diary"?
8. What did Johnny write about in 1937 and 1938 in "A Few More of His Letters"?
9. How did Johnny describe his operations and treatment in "A Few More of His Letters"?
10. When was the first letter written in "A Few More of His Letters"? What perspective do the letters lend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the narrative style of the book and the examples of foreshadowing presented in Chapter 1. In what tense and person is the book written?
Essay Topic 2
What did Johnny go through physically and emotionally as he was given x-ray treatment in New York in the narrative? How difficult was the treatment for Johnny's parents?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss amnesia in brain cancer patients and the symptoms exhibited by Johnny in January and February of 1947. How was Johnny's cancer affecting his motor abilities at this point?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)