|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he grew older, Johnny developed an interest in games, especially what?
2. Johnny's diet at Dr. Gerson's Nursing Home had no salt or fat, and what were at an extreme minimum?
3. What specialist told Johnny's family that Johnny would not live more than a few more months in Chapter 2?
4. Where in Connecticut did Johnny's family live after leaving Europe?
5. Max Gerson immigrated to the United States in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Johnny's family receive after his surgery in Chapter 4? How did Johnny recover from the operation?
2. How was Johnny's health after his tumor was drained in Chapter 3?
3. How did Johnny's family react to the conflict between doctors in Chapter 3? What compromise was met?
4. What led to Johnny's not returning to school in Chapter 3? How did he respond?
5. Where did Johnny stay after leaving the Neurological Institute in Chapter 2? Why?
6. How does the author describe the autumn of 1946 in Chapter 3?
7. How does the author describe Johnny's intelligence and temperament in the Foreword of the book?
8. What concerns preoccupied Johnny following his first operation in Chapter 1?
9. What did a specialist recommend for Johnny's treatment in Chapter 4? How did his treatment change?
10. Who helped arrange a meeting between Johnny and Mary in Chapter 4? How was Johnny's health during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Johnny's ambitions in education in the narrative. Why did Johnny hope to attend Harvard? How successful was Johnny at Deerfield Academy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Max Gerson and his controversial treatment method. When and where did Gerson establish his nursing home?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and effectiveness of alternative therapies in the treatment of cancer. What do the statistics indicate in terms of remission? How much reliable data is there for alternative therapies?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)