|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the girl Johnny was romantically interested in, as revealed in Chapter 4?
2. What term refers to a person, especially a child or young person, having extraordinary talent or ability?
3. In Chapter 3, Johnny's family celebrated his birthday with what?
4. When did the author receive notice from the school that their son had a stiff neck and was in the infirmary in Chapter 1?
5. On what date did Johnny's parents receive a call that a neurologist had seen their son, and they thought that Johnny had a brain tumor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's condition like when he entered Dr. Gerson's Nursing Home in Chapter 3? How was his recovery there?
2. What reason does John Gunther give for writing "Death Be Not Proud" in the Foreword of the book?
3. What interests did Johnny develop as he grew older, according to the author in the Foreword?
4. When were Johnny's parents informed that he might have a brain tumor? What did they do upon hearing the news?
5. Where did Johnny stay after leaving the Neurological Institute in Chapter 2? Why?
6. How does the author describe Johnny in the Foreword? What qualities did Johnny exhibit?
7. What did Johnny's family know about his condition in Chapter 4? Who helped him with his physical activity?
8. What interests drew Johnny as a young boy, according to the author in the Foreword?
9. What led to Johnny's not returning to school in Chapter 3? How did he respond?
10. How were Johnny's Christmas and Spring visits home described in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of radiation treatment for cancer. Who originated this method of treatment and when?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of Dr. Gerson's Diet on Johnny's tumor as discussed in Chapter 3. How did Johnny feel about the diet?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the world events which took place during Johnny's childhood. How exposed was Johnny to the events of World War II and what impact did they have on him?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)