|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny moved to where for the summer in Chapter 2, where he had a workshop and laboratory in the garage?
2. What refers to a sudden attack, as of epilepsy or some other disease?
3. Within how much time at Dr. Gerson's Nursing Home did Johnny begin to show improvement in Chapter 3?
4. Where was Johnny born?
5. Where did John Gunther grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Johnny's not returning to school in Chapter 3? How did he respond?
2. What concerns preoccupied Johnny following his first operation in Chapter 1?
3. When was Johnny first sent to the infirmary in Chapter 1? Why?
4. What does the author write of Johnny's bad moods in Chapter 3?
5. What treatment did Johnny receive at Dr. Gerson's Nursing Home in Chapter 3?
6. Where did Johnny stay after leaving the Neurological Institute in Chapter 2? Why?
7. How were Johnny's Christmas and Spring visits home described in Chapter 1?
8. How did Johnny act during his treatment in Chapter 1? What was his prognosis at this point?
9. How did Johnny's family react to the conflict between doctors in Chapter 3? What compromise was met?
10. What interests did Johnny develop as he grew older, according to the author in the Foreword?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Johnny's relationship with Mary in the narrative. How did Mary feel about Johnny? What was her reaction to his condition?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the narrative style of the book and the examples of foreshadowing presented in Chapter 1. In what tense and person is the book written?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of denial in the book. How did Johnny attempt to block out the seriousness of his condition?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)