|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the cultivation of plants by placing the roots in liquid nutrient solutions rather than in soil?
2. Where was Max Gerson born?
3. Where did John Gunther attend college?
4. On what date was Johnny's first operation performed in Chapter 1?
5. Johnny moved to where for the summer in Chapter 2, where he had a workshop and laboratory in the garage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author of "Death Be Not Proud" related to the central figure in the memoir? What subject does the book revolve around?
2. What does the author write of Johnny's bad moods in Chapter 3?
3. What interests drew Johnny as a young boy, according to the author in the Foreword?
4. How did Johnny's studies progress in Chapter 4? What motivated Johnny in this regard?
5. How does the author describe Johnny's intelligence and temperament in the Foreword of the book?
6. Who helped arrange a meeting between Johnny and Mary in Chapter 4? How was Johnny's health during this time?
7. What was controversial about Dr. Gerson's form of treatment, as discussed in Chapter 3? How did Johnny feel about it?
8. What interactions with others did Johnny have while at Dr. Gerson's Nursing Home in Chapter 3?
9. How does the author describe Johnny in the Foreword? What qualities did Johnny exhibit?
10. When were Johnny's parents informed that he might have a brain tumor? What did they do upon hearing the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of denial in the book. How did Johnny attempt to block out the seriousness of his condition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and effectiveness of alternative therapies in the treatment of cancer. What do the statistics indicate in terms of remission? How much reliable data is there for alternative therapies?
Essay Topic 3
What did Johnny go through physically and emotionally as he was given x-ray treatment in New York in the narrative? How difficult was the treatment for Johnny's parents?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)