|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doctor vehemently opposed to removing Johnny's tumor in Chapter 3, stating that the tumor was dead and that it was sloughing itself out of his head?
(a) Dr. Gerson.
(b) Dr. Hahn.
(c) Dr. Masson.
(d) Dr. Mount.
2. On what date was Johnny's first operation performed in Chapter 1?
(a) July 3, 1945.
(b) April 29, 1946.
(c) September 12, 1946.
(d) April 25, 1946.
3. Where did John Gunther attend college?
(a) Louisiana State University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Yale University.
(d) The University of Chicago.
4. Who had been helping Johnny with physical activity in Chapter 4?
5. Max Gerson immigrated to the United States in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what month had Johnny passed the English examination for school in Chapter 4?
2. What school had John Gunther attended for his high school education?
3. Where is Deerfield Academy located?
4. Where did John Gunther grow up?
5. When did Johnny's parents establish a regular routine for visitation in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Johnny's first operation. When did it take place and where? What was the objective of the operation?
2. What concerns preoccupied Johnny following his first operation in Chapter 1?
3. When was Johnny first sent to the infirmary in Chapter 1? Why?
4. When were Johnny's parents informed that he might have a brain tumor? What did they do upon hearing the news?
5. What was Johnny's condition like when he entered Dr. Gerson's Nursing Home in Chapter 3? How was his recovery there?
6. What did a specialist recommend for Johnny's treatment in Chapter 4? How did his treatment change?
7. What reason does John Gunther give for writing "Death Be Not Proud" in the Foreword of the book?
8. What was controversial about Dr. Gerson's form of treatment, as discussed in Chapter 3? How did Johnny feel about it?
9. What interactions with others did Johnny have while at Dr. Gerson's Nursing Home in Chapter 3?
10. What did Johnny's family know about his condition in Chapter 4? Who helped him with his physical activity?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)