|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time did Johnny die?
(a) 10:10 p.m.
(b) 11:02 p.m.
(c) 12:01 a.m.
(d) 4:10 a.m.
2. Johnny's letters from 1937 and 1938 in "A Few More of His Letters" showed that the young boy had an avid interest in what?
(c) Art and literature.
(d) The solar system.
3. When Johnny returned home in Chapter 5, he stayed relatively well for a while, although it was increasingly difficult for him in regard to what?
(a) Math skills.
(b) Reading ability.
(c) Motor skills.
4. What refers to keen mental suffering or distress over affliction or loss; sharp sorrow; painful regret?
5. At what hospital did Johnny die?
(a) The Neurological Institute.
(b) Kings Hospital.
(c) Jefferson Hospital.
(d) Memorial Hospital.
6. Johnny's graduation date was when in Chapter 5?
(a) May 27.
(b) June 12.
(c) June 27.
(d) June 4.
7. Johnny Gunther is buried in what city in New York?
(c) New York.
8. In "Aftermath," Johnny's family was told that what would be very important to the neurological institutes in the world because it was so unique that Johnny remained so well up to the very end?
(a) The slides from Johnny's brain.
(b) Johnny's memoir.
(c) Johnny's brain samples.
(d) Johnny's DNA.
9. In 1939, Johnny's letters highlighted his interest in what in "A Few More of His Letters"?
(a) English literature.
10. In "Aftermath," the author reprints how many letters from doctors who expressed their sympathies and regret for the unfulfilled promise Johnny had?
11. When did John Gunther die?
12. When did Henry DeWolf Smyth die?
13. In "The Diary", Johnny mentioned that he discussed fears of death with whom?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
14. After Johnny died, Frances had a hard time facing all the things that he used to love and remembered how he had especially loved his what?
(b) Chem lab.
(c) Horse saddle.
(d) Catching mitt.
15. What was John Gunther's first novel titled?
(a) The Lost City.
(b) Bright Nemesis.
(c) Inside U.S.A.
(d) The Red Pavilion.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem, "Holy Sonnet X," the author writes, "Death be not proud, though some have called thee / Mighty and" what?
2. What was a research and development program, led by the United States with participation from the United Kingdom and Canada, that produced the first atomic bomb during World War II?
3. Johnny had difficulty with what elements of his attire after returning home in Chapter 5?
4. What part of Johnny's body was clumsy and wouldn't open properly when he returned home in Chapter 5?
5. In what state was Johnny when he died in the hospital?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)