|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Johnny died how long after he had been diagnosed with a brain tumor?
(a) 12 months.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 4 months.
(d) 15 months.
2. In "Aftermath," the author reprints how many letters from doctors who expressed their sympathies and regret for the unfulfilled promise Johnny had?
3. In "Aftermath," Johnny's family was told that what would be very important to the neurological institutes in the world because it was so unique that Johnny remained so well up to the very end?
(a) The slides from Johnny's brain.
(b) Johnny's brain samples.
(c) Johnny's memoir.
(d) Johnny's DNA.
4. Johnny's very last entry in "The Diary" relates a trip to the public library, where he collected information on what?
(b) Liquid H2O.
(c) Liquid NH3.
(d) Liquid Helium.
5. In 1939, Johnny's letters reveal that he wanted his parents to send him what in "A Few More of His Letters"?
(a) A telescope.
(b) A chemistry set.
(c) A violin.
(d) A flute.
6. When was "Death Be Not Proud" first published?
7. Johnny wrote to his parents that he had identified how many alloys or metals in "A Few More of His Letters"?
8. Henry DeWolf Smyth was a commissioner on the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission from 1949 to when?
9. What book of Pierre Lecomte du Nouy's did Johnny read shortly before his death?
(a) Human Destiny.
(b) Afterward Calling.
(c) Human Reward.
(d) Ancient Science.
10. When was Pierre Lecomte du Nouy born?
11. Johnny's family received news that he would be able to do what in Chapter 5?
(a) Graduate with his class.
(b) Go to Carnegie Hall.
(c) Have multiple surgeries.
(d) Live to be 25.
12. Who played John Gunther in the TV movie based on the narrative from "Death Be Not Proud"?
(a) Arthur Hill.
(b) Robby Benson.
(c) Michael Williams.
(d) James Archer.
13. How does the author describe the weather at Johnny's funeral in "Aftermath"?
14. In what state was Johnny when he died in the hospital?
15. What part of Johnny's body was clumsy and wouldn't open properly when he returned home in Chapter 5?
(a) His right leg.
(b) His left leg.
(c) His right hand.
(d) His left hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny Gunther is buried in what city in New York?
2. When was a TV movie made based on the narrative from "Death Be Not Proud"?
3. Johnny's mother was of what religion?
4. What refers to indication of future excellence or achievement?
5. Who was a teacher who drove down from Deerfield to spend a day with Johnny while he was ill?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)