|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first name of Brunetti's friend Signorina Narasconi?
2. Brunetti learns that Flavia became a superstar after her first appearance as a(n):
3. What kind of vitamins were supposedly taken by Wellauer?
4. What is the occupation of the signorina?
5. What does Brunetti see in the distance when he looks outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brunetti begin to question himself about the possibility of Lynch's guilt?
2. What is Brunetti's final decision regarding Wellauer's death? What is Patta's reaction to the final report?
3. What information does Dami give to Brunetti regarding Flavia Petrelli's ex-husband?
4. What does Brunetti note about Wellauer's datebook? What is the Signora's reaction to Brunetti's questions?
5. What is Brunetti's assessment of the situation? Does it help Lynch and/or Petrelli?
6. Discuss the scene in which Wellauer's second wife was found. What happened?
7. What is Signora Wellauer's explanation of the injection marks on her husband's body?
8. Who calls Brunetti in the middle of the night? What new information is revealed?
9. What became of Santina's sisters?
10. Brunetti goes back to Clemenza's apartment. What is the nature of the visit? What does Brunetti learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500 word essay on the following topic: Examine the sense of place used by Leon. Describe the locations mentioned in the book and how the story would suffer if the author would move it to a different location. What is the influence of old Europe in the story? How does the structure and culture of Venice play into the characters' thoughts and behavior? In what ways are the Venetians more traditional than people in the United States? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Brunetti was presented with various leads that might help to solve the case. There are also leads that could distract Brunetti and lead him on a wild goose chase. Discuss how Brunetti could tell a valuable lead from one that may not turn out to be anything important. Does one get precedence in the investigation? If so, how do the police decide? Do you think that the clues Brunetti chose to follow were the best ones? How might you have handled the case?
Essay Topic 3
Brett Lynch seems to be a cold and calculating woman while Flavia Petrelli seems to be more impulsive and hotheaded. Create complete character studies of Lynch and Petrelli. Compare and contrast the personalities of the two women. Which characteristics were real and which were contrived? How were they perceived by Brunetti? What was Brunetti's opinion of each?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)