|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the singing group Santina formed with her sisters?
2. Who calls and wakes Brunetti with information on the case?
3. Which of the following people was put under house arrest?
4. How old is the Brunettis' son?
5. In what department does the ex-husband work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brunetti's assessment of the situation? Does it help Lynch and/or Petrelli?
2. What is Erich Steinbrunner's occupation? What does Brunetti learn from the conversation with Erich Steinbrunner?
3. Brunetti goes back to Clemenza's apartment. What is the nature of the visit? What does Brunetti learn?
4. Discuss the scene in which Wellauer's second wife was found. What happened?
5. Why does Brunetti begin to question himself about the possibility of Lynch's guilt?
6. What is Brunetti's final decision regarding Wellauer's death? What is Patta's reaction to the final report?
7. What is Signora Wellauer's explanation of the injection marks on her husband's body?
8. What is Brunetti's response to Paola's questions about Petrelli being a likely candidate for Wellauer's murder?
9. Who calls Brunetti in the middle of the night? What new information is revealed?
10. What became of Santina's sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maestro Helmut Wellauer was a world renowned conductor and musician. Study the job of a conductor. Why is being a conductor much more difficult than being a music director or musician? What special training is involved? Do you think Wellauer's job was the most important in the orchestra? Explain. What might happen if there had not been a replacement conductor in the theater? Would the performance continue? Who would decide how to handle the situation? Also explain the important relationship between Wellauer, the musicians, stagehands, and actors.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of revenge as it is used in the book. Focus on the relationship between Elizabeth and Helmut Wellauer. What is the couple's relationship? What tarnished it? What did Elizabeth do to get revenge? Did it work? How did Helmut return the revenge? Which was most effective? Choose one other example from the book and examine it in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Chiara Brunetti is the fourteen-year-old daughter of Guido Brunetti and Paola Falier. Chiara and her father are very close and often play-act, although it annoys Paola. Examine Chiara's relationship with her father. How does the girl feel about having a professoressa as a mother and the commissario of police as a father? How does Brunetti's work affect Chiara? What type of decisions might Chiara make due to her father's profession? Do you think the relationship would cause Chiara to go into law enforcement or to rebel? Explain.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)