|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's job?
2. The boss tells Brunetti he must find the killer to protect the ____ of the city.
3. What is the name of the port being worked by Brunetti's colleague?
4. Salvatore Rezzonico points out that on the night of the last performance Wellauer seemed to have difficulties with which of the following?
5. According to the Signora, how many inheritors are listed in Wellauer's will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wellauer's reputation? What is the man's family situation?
2. What was Santore's opinion of Wellauer? What was Wellauer's response to Santore?
3. What does Padovani tell Brunetti about his first meeting with Paola?
4. What does the police report reveal about the fingerprints in Wellauer's dressing room?
5. Paola introduces Brunetti to which one of her old college friends? What is the purpose of the introduction?
6. Officer Riverre reports back to Brunetti on the search of the Wellauer house. What did Riverre observe while he was on site?
7. Discuss the scene in which Brunetti meets Santore. What information is gained about Santore?
8. Patta calls Brunetti to his office. What does Patta want? How does Brunetti respond?
9. What comment does Santore make that intrigues Brunetti?
10. Discuss at least a part of Signora Elizabeth Wellauer's history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elitist behavior. Write an essay regarding the use of elitist behavior throughout the story. How does the behavior affect the case? How does Brunetti respond? One example can be found in Brett Lynch, a wealthy, well educated and highly respected archeologist. Explain how Lynch shows elitist behavior toward Brunetti and the other police. What is the basis of the behavior? Is it societal or a conscious behavior on Lynch's part? Answer the same questions in regards to the Count and Countessa Falier.
Essay Topic 2
In at least two cases, Leon focuses on the loyalty of family and loved ones. Why is the topic important? Who is affected and why? How intense is loyalty regarding Clemenza Santina, Brett Lynch, Flavia Petrelli, Paola and her parents? Explain how loyalty plays a large part in the lives of these and other characters. How might the story be different if the loyalty was not such a strong element? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Brunetti and Vice-Questore Patta have a rocky relationship. Compare and contrast the jobs of the men as well as their personalities. What might make the relationship better? Is there any problem with authority? How might you handle the situation if you were Brunetti? Patta? Explain how Patta views Brunetti and his work as the commissario. Explain Brunetti's opinion of Patta, personally and as Vice-Questore.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)