|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What help will Brunetti offer to the woman from the bar?
2. This particular organization linked to Trevisan was supposedly located in which city?
3. Who becomes hysterical and waits for Brunetti's help?
4. Brunetti gets a lead on the item by remembering a conversation he had with which other character?
5. How does the pimp receive his instructions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brunetti think of the pimp? How does Brunetti characterize Franco?
2. What are the first questions Brunetti asks the prostitute?
3. How does Brunetti know the Chief Justice? What is the connection between the two men?
4. What piece of evidence is Brunetti finally able to get? What information does it provide?
5. What is Franco able to tell Brunetti about his contact? How do they communicate?
6. What does the prostitute tell Brunetti?
7. What does Brunetti expect when questioning the pimp
8. What is the logical conclusion that could be drawn regarding Martucci's motives to kill Trevisan?
9. What is the Chief Justice's opinion of Ubaldo Lotto?
10. How does Brunetti act when meeting the prostitute? What is the purpose of the act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brunetti does not always follow the rules, however he is adept at getting results. One way in which Brunetti may have broken the rules is by lying to or coercing the interviewees and suspects. Examine Brunetti's interview and investigation techniques. Which are questionable? What is the punishment for improper methods? What might Patta do if he found out about Brunetti's methods? How did Brunetti handle the pimp and the prostitute?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Brunetti was presented with various leads that might help to solve the case. There are also leads that could distract Brunetti and lead him on a wild goose chase. Discuss how Brunetti could tell a valuable lead from one that may not turn out to be anything important. Does one get precedence in the investigation? If so, how do the police decide? Do you think that the clues Brunetti chose to follow were the best ones? How might you have handled the case?
Essay Topic 3
Pinetta's bar was used in several instances in the story. Discuss the reason to use Pinetta's bar for meetings, interviews, stakeouts and corralling suspects. What benefits are there to using a bar opposed to a coffee shop or restaurant? What did Brunetti learn at Pinetta's? Do you think Franco will continue to do business at Pinetta's even after he was taken into Questura for questioning? What might the other patrons and bartender think of cops being in the bar?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)