|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Italian term used for police officer?
2. What is the Italian term used as the title for attorney?
3. Why did the cop get forced out of the police?
4. What is the relationship between the interviewee and the murdered man?
5. What is the surname of the character's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first scene in the book? What time of year is it? Why are the scene and the weather important to the rest of the story?
2. How might the deaths tie into the corruption case Brunetti had been working on for months?
3. What did a bystander have to say about the presence of the women at the scene? What made the bystanders change their minds about the women?
4. Who is the next victim in the story? Where is the body found? Prominent accountant Rino Favero, the second victim, is found dead in his garage.
5. Who discovers Trevisan's body? What is the character's initial reaction? What does the character do?
6. Describe the people found at the scene at the accident. What questions are asked? What is the determination of the accident victims?
7. What is Chiara's opinion about her new role in the case? How does she hope her parents will react to the news?
8. Who is the next person to be visited by Brunetti?
9. What is the conversation between Paola and Brunetti after Chiara goes to bed? How does each character feel about the discussion?
10. What is the plan between Brunetti and Vianello regarding Pinetta's? What is decided? How does the plan turn out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The prostitutes often have little or no choice when it comes to their own freedom. Brunetti attempted to help the prostitute from the bar by having her talk to Elletra. Examine what might be done to help the woman get back on her feet and off the streets. What kind of help might Elletra offer? What options does the woman have in regards to ending her life of prostitution? Do you think she will stay in Italy? Would it be wise to return to her own country or make a new start in Italy? What kind of programs are available in your area to help people that have fallen on hard times and wish to start anew?
Essay Topic 2
Rondini often did work for the Questura and Brunetti. The work was not always necessarily legal but helpful and/or necessary. Examine Rondini's role in the story, how he helped the Questura, and his relationship with Brunetti and Zorzi. What do you think Patta would say about Rondini's work? Is all of the work illegal? Could it jeopardize Brunetti's case? How could Brunetti get the same information in a more routine and acceptable way?
Essay Topic 3
Pinetta's bar was used in several instances in the story. Discuss the reason to use Pinetta's bar for meetings, interviews, stakeouts and corralling suspects. What benefits are there to using a bar opposed to a coffee shop or restaurant? What did Brunetti learn at Pinetta's? Do you think Franco will continue to do business at Pinetta's even after he was taken into Questura for questioning? What might the other patrons and bartender think of cops being in the bar?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)