|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh says he got books from the library about what in his March 1 diary entry?
2. Leigh says in his January 30 diary entry that he looked in his book of highway maps and figured out that his dad should be where now?
3. On January 19, Leigh writes and thanks Mr. Henshaw for the postcard with a picture of what on it?
4. Of the man at the hardware store, Leigh says in his March 3 diary entry, “He called me son, and my Dad calls me” what?
5. What does Leigh say he’s decided to save the money his dad sent him for in his February 9 diary entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leigh relate about Mr. Henshaw’s new book in his January 12 letter?
2. Where does Leigh describe going on a walk in his diary entry from February 7?
3. What does Leigh describe buying at the hardware store in his March 3 diary entry? What does Leigh say about the man who works there?
4. What letter does Leigh describe receiving from his father in his diary entry on February 9? How does Leigh feel about the letter?
5. What frustrations does Leigh vent in his diary on January 20?
6. What is related in Leigh’s “review” of Beggar Bears in his January 15 letter?
7. How does Leigh describe the butterflies when he first sees them in his February 7 diary entry?
8. What progress does Leigh describe making with his lunch situation in his March 1 diary entry?
9. What is the tone of Leigh’s diary entries from January 31 and February 1?
10. What worries consume Leigh about his dad in his January 30 diary entry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Leigh’s feelings of despair and jealousy following his phone call with his dad in February. Why does Leigh believe he hates his father? What actions has Leigh’s dad committed that have injured Leigh emotionally? How is this situation resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of disappointment in Dear Mr. Henshaw. How is this theme illustrated through Leigh’s relationship with his father? How else in the story does the author illustrate this theme? What symbolism does the author use to support this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the books Ten Ways to Amuse a Dog and Moose on Toast. What similarities and differences are there between these books by Mr. Henshaw? Discuss the characters, setting, and plot of each story. What does Leigh like about Moose on Toast?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)