|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests taping a cardboard shelf in Leigh’s lunchbox so his sandwich won’t muffle the alarm?
2. In his diary entry from January 20, Leigh writes that yesterday someone stole what from his lunch bag?
3. In his February 28 letter to Mr. Henshaw, Leigh writes, “I think you are right. Maybe I am not ready to” what?
4. Leigh writes in his February 1 diary entry that there was bad news in the newspaper. What is the bad news?
5. What does Leigh say he’s decided to save the money his dad sent him for in his February 9 diary entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of Leigh’s diary entries from January 31 and February 1?
2. Why are there babies in Leigh’s room when he writes his diary entry on February 2?
3. What is revealed about Leigh’s story, “The Ten-Foot Wax Man,” in his February 15 letter?
4. With what passionate line does Leigh begin his diary entry on February 4? What drives this passion?
5. What does Leigh reveal about Mr. Henshaw’s advice in his letter from February 28?
6. How does Leigh’s dad describe losing Bandit? Where was he when Bandit was lost?
7. What does Leigh relate about Mr. Henshaw’s new book in his January 12 letter?
8. What does Leigh describe as “the worst part” of his exchange with his dad in his February 4 diary entry?
9. What does Leigh relate to Mr. Henshaw about his diary in his letter from January 12?
10. How do Leigh’s diary entries change on February 6? What does Leigh relate in this entry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “dialogue” in literature. How is dialogue typically depicted in novels and short stories? How is dialogue depicted differently in plays and drama? How realistic is Leigh’s dialogue in his January 10 entry? Where else in the story does Leigh experiment with writing dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters and setting of Beggar Bears. Where previously in the novel did the author foreshadow the appearance of this book by Mr. Henshaw? How? What does Leigh think of the story? How does it compare with Mr. Henshaw’s other books?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of Bakersfield and Pacific Grove, California. How big are these towns? How does Leigh describe them in his letters? What is the weather like in Bakersfield and Pacific Grove? How do these settings differ?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)