|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh says in his January 30 diary entry that he looked in his book of highway maps and figured out that his dad should be where now?
2. Who does Leigh say he and his mom used to scoop up the mashed potatoes and gravy with their dinner in his February 5 diary entry?
3. What does the sign on Leigh’s door say?
4. What does Barry never use when he constructs his models?
5. What does “CB” stand for in “CB radio”?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what passionate line does Leigh begin his diary entry on February 4? What drives this passion?
2. What frustrations does Leigh vent in his diary on January 20?
3. What is related in Leigh’s “review” of Beggar Bears in his January 15 letter?
4. What progress does Leigh describe making with his lunch situation in his March 1 diary entry?
5. How does Leigh describe his and his mother’s exchange after the phone call in his February 5 diary entry?
6. What does Leigh describe buying at the hardware store in his March 3 diary entry? What does Leigh say about the man who works there?
7. What does Leigh relate to Mr. Henshaw about his diary in his letter from January 12?
8. What is the tone of Leigh’s diary entries from January 31 and February 1?
9. What do the butterflies in Leigh’s February 7 diary entry symbolize in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
10. What does Leigh reveal about Mr. Henshaw’s advice in his letter from February 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “dialogue” in literature. How is dialogue typically depicted in novels and short stories? How is dialogue depicted differently in plays and drama? How realistic is Leigh’s dialogue in his January 10 entry? Where else in the story does Leigh experiment with writing dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ten questions submitted by Leigh to Mr. Henshaw. Are these effective questions to base an author report on? Why or why not? What questions would you ask your favorite author? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the qualities and information revealed about Boyd Henshaw’s character based on Leigh’s replies from November 15 through November 23. What are Mr. Henshaw’s responses to Leigh’s questions? What do these responses say about Mr. Henshaw’s personality?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)