|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his sixth letter, dated November 7, that he is now in what grade?
2. What new word in Leigh’s vocabulary does he use in his December 12 letter to refer to any of various lines or tackles for hoisting a flag?
3. When does Leigh say he needs Mr. Henshaw’s answer to his ten questions by in order to complete his author report in his September 20 letter?
4. Why does Leigh say he can’t complain to the teacher about someone stealing from his lunch bag in his first diary entry from December 22?
5. Leigh says to Mr. Henshaw in his November 7 letter that if his dad shot a moose, he’d feed the tough parts to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leigh write about in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw, dated December 3? What grade is Leigh in now?
2. Which of Mr. Henshaw’s questions does Leigh respond to on November 20? What are his responses?
3. What advice has Leigh taken from Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter? What further advice does he ask for?
4. Describe the narrative style of Dear Mr. Henshaw. From whose perspective is the story related?
5. What is related of Mr. Henshaw’s advice to Leigh in Leigh’s letter from December 21?
6. What is the third question Leigh responds to on November 22? What is his response?
7. Why does Leigh apologize in his December 4 letter to Mr. Henshaw? What excuse does Leigh give in his apology?
8. Why does Leigh write to Mr. Henshaw on September 20? How old is Leigh in this letter?
9. What new writing exercise does Leigh try out in his diary on January 10? Why?
10. What does Leigh say about the questions Mr. Henshaw sent him in his November 15 letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Bonnie and Bill Botts as described in Leigh’s letters. How does Leigh feel about each of his parents? Where do they work? Do you think Leigh is partial to one parent over the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define “protagonist” in literature and develop a list of the common qualities seen in protagonists. How do these qualities apply to Leigh Botts in Dear Mr. Henshaw? Why does Leigh choose to write to Mr. Henshaw? What information does Leigh relate of his personal life in these first letters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the observations that Leigh makes in his phone call with his father on February 4. What does Leigh learn about his dog, Bandit? Where is Leigh’s dad located during the phone call? How long has he been there?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)