|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh says in his December 4 letter to Mr. Henshaw that maybe when he writes a book he’ll call it what?
2. When does Leigh say he needs Mr. Henshaw’s answer to his ten questions by in order to complete his author report in his September 20 letter?
3. In his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2, Leigh asks why some of the grownups in Mr. Henshaw’s book didn’t do what?
4. What word does Leigh use in his December 1 letter meaning a refrigerated trailer?
5. How many pounds of moose meat does the boy’s family have in their freezer in Moose on Toast?
Short Essay Questions
1. On December 1, Leigh answers the final questions sent by Mr. Henshaw. How does he respond to “What do you wish?”
2. What ploy does Leigh develop to thwart the lunch bag robber after the Christmas holidays? Is he successful?
3. What advice has Leigh taken from Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter? What further advice does he ask for?
4. What does Leigh write about in his December 12 letter to Mr. Henshaw? Where did Leigh receive a postcard from?
5. Describe the narrative style of Dear Mr. Henshaw. From whose perspective is the story related?
6. Where does Leigh say his father phoned him from in his January 8 diary entry?
7. What does Leigh write about his lunch situation in his diary on January 9 and 10?
8. What does Leigh write about in his diary over the Christmas holidays (December 24-25)?
9. What new writing exercise does Leigh try out in his diary on January 10? Why?
10. What does Leigh say about the questions Mr. Henshaw sent him in his November 15 letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of disappointment in Dear Mr. Henshaw. How is this theme illustrated through Leigh’s relationship with his father? How else in the story does the author illustrate this theme? What symbolism does the author use to support this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Leigh’s feelings about Mr. Henshaw’s questions in his response letter. Why was Leigh mad about the questions? Why is his mother making him answer them? Do you agree with his mother’s demands? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the observations that Leigh makes in his phone call with his father on February 4. What does Leigh learn about his dog, Bandit? Where is Leigh’s dad located during the phone call? How long has he been there?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)