|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh says in his first letter to Mr. Henshaw that his teacher read Mr. Henshaw’s book about what on May 12?
2. What is the name of Leigh’s dog in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
3. Leigh writes in his diary entry for December 25 that who brought him his Christmas package from his father?
4. Why does Leigh say he can’t complain to the teacher about someone stealing from his lunch bag in his first diary entry from December 22?
5. How does Leigh describe most of the grownups by where he lives in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leigh remark about Mr. Henshaw’s response in his November 15 letter?
2. What ploy does Leigh develop to thwart the lunch bag robber after the Christmas holidays? Is he successful?
3. What does Leigh say about Mr. Henshaw’s questions in his letter from November 16?
4. Why does Leigh apologize in his December 4 letter to Mr. Henshaw? What excuse does Leigh give in his apology?
5. What does Leigh say about the questions Mr. Henshaw sent him in his November 15 letter?
6. What books are discussed in Leigh’s letters to Mr. Henshaw on October 2 and November 2 in the beginning of the book?
7. Where does Leigh say his father phoned him from in his January 8 diary entry?
8. What does Leigh write about his lunch situation in his diary on January 9 and 10?
9. On December 1, Leigh answers the final questions sent by Mr. Henshaw. How does he respond to “What bothers you?”
10. What is related of Mr. Henshaw’s advice to Leigh in Leigh’s letter from December 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Dear Mr. Henshaw, Leigh writes to his favorite author from second through sixth grades. Discuss Beverly Cleary’s use of language to depict the maturity of Leigh as he continues writing to Mr. Henshaw. For instance, what grammatical and spelling errors can you find in Leigh’s early letters? How do Leigh’s mistakes change as he gets older?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ten questions submitted by Leigh to Mr. Henshaw. Are these effective questions to base an author report on? Why or why not? What questions would you ask your favorite author? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Define “dialogue” in literature. How is dialogue typically depicted in novels and short stories? How is dialogue depicted differently in plays and drama? How realistic is Leigh’s dialogue in his January 10 entry? Where else in the story does Leigh experiment with writing dialogue?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)