|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leigh’s middle name?
2. Who does Leigh say invited Leigh and his mother to Christmas dinner in his December 25 diary entry?
3. Leigh closes his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2 with an enclosure, saying that his class is studying what?
4. Leigh closes his September 20 letter to Mr. Henshaw with a limerick: “De Liver De Letter De Sooner De Better De Later De Letter De Madder” what?
5. What does Leigh say is on the middle of the California flag in his December 12 letter to Mr. Henshaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. On December 1, Leigh answers the final questions sent by Mr. Henshaw. How does he respond to “What do you wish?”
2. What advice has Leigh taken from Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter? What further advice does he ask for?
3. What does Leigh say about the questions Mr. Henshaw sent him in his November 15 letter?
4. What does Leigh write about his lunch situation in his diary on January 9 and 10?
5. What question does Leigh respond to in his November 24 letter? How does he respond?
6. What does Leigh write about in his diary over the Christmas holidays (December 24-25)?
7. On December 1, Leigh answers the final questions sent by Mr. Henshaw. How does he respond to “What bothers you?”
8. Where does Leigh say his father phoned him from in his January 8 diary entry?
9. What new writing exercise does Leigh try out in his diary on January 10? Why?
10. What ploy does Leigh develop to thwart the lunch bag robber after the Christmas holidays? Is he successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ten questions submitted by Leigh to Mr. Henshaw. Are these effective questions to base an author report on? Why or why not? What questions would you ask your favorite author? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of the struggles of divorce seen in Dear Mr. Henshaw. Why does Leigh have difficulty dealing with his parents’ divorce? What are the consequences that Leigh faces from this disruption? How does Leigh blame himself for the divorce?
Essay Topic 3
In Dear Mr. Henshaw, Leigh writes to his favorite author from second through sixth grades. Discuss Beverly Cleary’s use of language to depict the maturity of Leigh as he continues writing to Mr. Henshaw. For instance, what grammatical and spelling errors can you find in Leigh’s early letters? How do Leigh’s mistakes change as he gets older?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)