|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh says in his November 13 letter to Mr. Henshaw that his teacher is making his class write to authors for what?
2. Why does Leigh say he can’t complain to the teacher about someone stealing from his lunch bag in his first diary entry from December 22?
3. What is the ninth question from Mr. Henshaw that Leigh answers in his letter from December 1?
4. What is the name of the school custodian that Leigh likes?
5. Leigh says in his November 15 letter that he hadn’t realized Mr. Henshaw had moved where, although he could have guessed from Moose on Toast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leigh write about in his diary over the Christmas holidays (December 24-25)?
2. What does Leigh ask Mr. Henshaw in his December 2 letter? What does Leigh relate about himself in this letter?
3. Which of Mr. Henshaw’s questions does Leigh respond to on November 20? What are his responses?
4. What does Leigh say about Mr. Henshaw’s questions in his letter from November 16?
5. Why does Leigh write to Mr. Henshaw on September 20? How old is Leigh in this letter?
6. What books are discussed in Leigh’s letters to Mr. Henshaw on October 2 and November 2 in the beginning of the book?
7. Describe the narrative style of Dear Mr. Henshaw. From whose perspective is the story related?
8. What advice has Leigh taken from Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter? What further advice does he ask for?
9. What does Leigh write about in his December 12 letter to Mr. Henshaw? Where did Leigh receive a postcard from?
10. What ploy does Leigh develop to thwart the lunch bag robber after the Christmas holidays? Is he successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the differences noted in the text between Leigh’s letters and his diary entries. How does Leigh change the way he prints the date on each document? How does Leigh address his diary entries? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Leigh’s concerns about his lunch bag being robbed and the potential solutions for this problem. Why does Leigh say he can’t tell the teacher about the robbery? What else might Leigh do in order to stop the thief? What does he eventually do in order to thwart the thief?
Essay Topic 3
Define “dialogue” in literature. How is dialogue typically depicted in novels and short stories? How is dialogue depicted differently in plays and drama? How realistic is Leigh’s dialogue in his January 10 entry? Where else in the story does Leigh experiment with writing dialogue?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)