|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On January 19, Leigh writes and thanks Mr. Henshaw for the postcard with a picture of what on it?
(a) Bears and a small cabin.
(b) A barren desert and pyramids.
(c) A lake and mountains in the snow.
(d) The Eiffel Tower in Paris.
2. Leigh says in his February 8 diary entry that most of the girls in his class are writing poems or stories about what for the Young Writers’ Yearbook?
3. What class does Leigh say he left to go to the bathroom because he was so mad about his lunch in his February 6 diary entry?
(b) Math class.
(c) Spelling class.
(d) Science class.
4. The butterflies that Leigh describes in his February 7 diary entry remind him of what story his mom read to him when he was younger?
(a) Snow White.
(b) The Cat and the Hat.
(c) Aesop’s Fables.
5. Leigh says in his February 5 diary entry that when he lived in the mobile home park the only places they ever went were what?
(a) The grocery store and the butcher.
(b) “School and to the truck stop.”
(c) The bookstore and the grocery store.
(d) The Laundromat and the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. On March 15, Leigh writes in his diary that he never found out what?
2. Leigh says he’s thinking of writing a poem about what for the Young Writers’ Yearbook in his March 1 diary entry?
3. What does the sign on Leigh’s door say?
4. What does Leigh say he and his mom went to eat after crying in his February 5 diary entry?
5. In his letter to Mr. Henshaw on February 15, Leigh writes to ask for help with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leigh relate to Mr. Henshaw about his diary in his letter from January 12?
2. What letter does Leigh describe receiving from his father in his diary entry on February 9? How does Leigh feel about the letter?
3. How does Leigh’s dad describe losing Bandit? Where was he when Bandit was lost?
4. What outcome does Leigh describe of his alarm invention in his diary entries from March 5 and 6?
5. What is revealed about Leigh’s story, “The Ten-Foot Wax Man,” in his February 15 letter?
6. What does Leigh describe as “the worst part” of his exchange with his dad in his February 4 diary entry?
7. How does Leigh describe his and his mother’s exchange after the phone call in his February 5 diary entry?
8. What does Leigh describe buying at the hardware store in his March 3 diary entry? What does Leigh say about the man who works there?
9. What frustrations does Leigh vent in his diary on January 20?
10. What progress does Leigh describe making with his lunch situation in his March 1 diary entry?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)