|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leigh writes in his February 1 diary entry that there was bad news in the newspaper. What is the bad news?
(a) The sugar refinery is shutting down.
(b) The U.S. is going to war in the Middle East.
(c) The telephone company has gone bankrupt.
(d) The stock market crashed.
2. In his January 15 letter to Mr. Henshaw, Leigh writes that he finished Beggar Bears in how much time?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 2 nights.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 3 nights.
3. In his letter to Mr. Henshaw on February 15, Leigh writes to ask for help with what?
(a) Learning to write in a diary.
(b) An author report.
(c) An ending for his story.
(d) ow to make an alarm.
4. In his letter to Mr. Henshaw on January 12, Leigh writes that his mother won’t do what because she wants Leigh’s “brain to stay in good shape”?
(a) Have the TV repaired.
(b) Let him visit with his friends after school.
(c) Let him stay home from school.
(d) Let him eat candy after dinnertime.
5. What does “CB” stand for in “CB radio”?
(a) Compact Band.
(b) Citizens’ Band.
(c) Contract Basis.
(d) Control Basis.
Short Answer Questions
1. On January 19, Leigh writes and thanks Mr. Henshaw for the postcard with a picture of what on it?
2. Leigh writes in his diary on March 15 that this week several kids showed up with what?
3. Leigh says in his January 30 diary entry that sometimes truckers lose the hearing in their left ear from what?
4. In his March 1 diary entry, Leigh writes that he had to buy a new notebook for his diary for what reason?
5. What does Leigh describe on the sign where the butterflies gather in his February 7 diary entry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leigh’s dad describe losing Bandit? Where was he when Bandit was lost?
2. What outcome does Leigh describe of his alarm invention in his diary entries from March 5 and 6?
3. What progress does Leigh describe making with his lunch situation in his March 1 diary entry?
4. How do Leigh’s diary entries change on February 6? What does Leigh relate in this entry?
5. Who do you think is symbolized by the protagonist in Leigh’s story “The Ten-Foot Wax Man”?
6. What is the tone of Leigh’s diary entries from January 31 and February 1?
7. What exchange does Leigh describe between himself and Mr. Fridley in his February 6 diary entry?
8. What is related in Leigh’s “review” of Beggar Bears in his January 15 letter?
9. Where does Leigh describe going on a walk in his diary entry from February 7?
10. What letter does Leigh describe receiving from his father in his diary entry on February 9? How does Leigh feel about the letter?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)