|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story about a dog that Leigh describes in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3, he says that Joe’s dad told him he had to think of how many ways to entertain a dog?
2. In his third letter to Mr. Henshaw, dated November 13, Leigh says he’s now in what grade?
(a) Sixth grade.
(b) Fourth grade.
(c) Second grade.
(d) Third grade.
3. What color is Leigh’s dog in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
4. What is the ninth question from Mr. Henshaw that Leigh answers in his letter from December 1?
(a) “Where do you live?”
(b) “What do you wish?”
(c) “Who are you?”
(d) “What bothers you?”
5. Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw on November 15 to say he was angry he didn’t receive Mr. Henshaw’s reply before his report was due, but he used information from where to complete it?
(a) A review from the New York Times.
(b) The back cover of Ways to Amuse a Dog.
(c) The back cover of Moose on Toast.
(d) The newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh says in his first letter to Mr. Henshaw that his teacher read Mr. Henshaw’s book about what on May 12?
2. How does Leigh sign his name in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3?
3. How does Leigh describe most of the grownups by where he lives in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2?
4. What color is the composition book that Leigh buys to use as a diary?
5. Leigh remarks in his letter on December 21 that he received Mr. Henshaw’s postcard with a picture of what on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ploy does Leigh develop to thwart the lunch bag robber after the Christmas holidays? Is he successful?
2. Why does Leigh write to Mr. Henshaw on September 20? How old is Leigh in this letter?
3. What does Leigh write about in his diary over the Christmas holidays (December 24-25)?
4. How are Leigh’s diary entries differentiated from his letters in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
5. What is the third question Leigh responds to on November 22? What is his response?
6. What advice has Leigh taken from Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter? What further advice does he ask for?
7. What new writing exercise does Leigh try out in his diary on January 10? Why?
8. Where does Leigh say his father phoned him from in his January 8 diary entry?
9. What is related of Mr. Henshaw’s advice to Leigh in Leigh’s letter from December 21?
10. What does Leigh write about his lunch situation in his diary on January 9 and 10?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)