|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leigh remarks in his letter on December 21 that he received Mr. Henshaw’s postcard with a picture of what on it?
2. Leigh says in his December 1 letter to Mr. Henshaw that no one is supposed to be on his school grounds until what time?
(a) 15 minutes before the bell rings.
(b) 10 minutes before the bell rings.
(c) 5 minutes before the bell rings.
(d) 20 minutes before the bell rings.
3. What does Leigh say he noticed about the California flag when the custodian raised it that day in his December 12 letter?
(a) It was upside down.
(b) It was dirty.
(c) It was ripped on the side.
(d) It was sideways.
4. Leigh closes his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2 with an enclosure, saying that his class is studying what?
(a) Nonfiction essays.
(c) Business letters.
(d) Atomic science.
5. What does Leigh say his teacher has said there should be when a different person speaks in his December 12 letter?
(a) A period.
(b) A question mark.
(c) A dash and ellipses.
(d) A new paragraph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh writes in his diary entry for December 25 that who brought him his Christmas package from his father?
2. What word from Leigh’s November 13 letter refers to a three-dimensional model?
3. Who does Leigh say stands by the garbage cans in the lunchroom to make sure kids don’t throw their retainers away in his diary entry from January 8?
4. What name does Leigh say he wrote on his lunch bag at school in his diary entry from January 3?
5. Who does Leigh say is his favorite character in Mr. Henshaw’s book that he’s read in his third letter, dated November 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Leigh respond to in his November 24 letter? How does he respond?
2. What does Leigh write about in his diary over the Christmas holidays (December 24-25)?
3. What does Leigh write about in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw, dated December 3? What grade is Leigh in now?
4. What advice has Leigh taken from Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter? What further advice does he ask for?
5. Describe the narrative style of Dear Mr. Henshaw. From whose perspective is the story related?
6. How old is Leigh when he writes his third letter to Mr. Henshaw on November 13? What does Leigh say about Mr. Henshaw’s book?
7. What is the third question Leigh responds to on November 22? What is his response?
8. How are Leigh’s diary entries differentiated from his letters in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
9. What does Leigh remark about Mr. Henshaw’s response in his November 15 letter?
10. Which of Mr. Henshaw’s questions does Leigh respond to on November 20? What are his responses?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)