|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Leigh’s diary entries differentiated from his letters to Mr. Henshaw in the novel?
(a) He writes the day of the week as well as the date on his letters.
(b) He writes the day of the week as well as the date on the diary entries.
(c) He addresses his diary entries “Dear Diary” and his letters “Dear Mr. Henshaw.”
(d) He signs his diary entries from “Leigh” and his letters from “Leigh Botts.”
2. What name does Leigh say he wrote on his lunch bag at school in his diary entry from January 3?
(a) James Reilly.
(b) Andrew Tucker.
(c) Bill Botts.
(d) Joe Kelly.
3. In his second diary entry, dated December 23, Leigh writes that he asked his mom if his dad might come to visit for Christmas. What was her response?
(a) “We’re divorced. Remember?”
(b) “You never know.”
(c) “I’m not so sure, dear.”
(d) “He told me he’d be here.”
4. What is described by Leigh in his December 3 letter as “the first thick book with chapters that I have read”?
(a) Ways to Amuse a Dog.
(b) A Dog Named Sam.
(c) Run, Spot, Run!
(d) Ten Dogs and Ten Owners.
5. In his diary entry on January 10, Leigh writes that he wishes his dad were there so that he could teach Leigh how to do what?
(a) Make a burglar alarm for his lunch bag.
(b) Drive a semi truck.
(c) Make a model car for his school assignment.
(d) Camp, hike and kayak.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leigh say his father ends their calls in his December 1 letter?
2. What word from Leigh’s November 13 letter refers to a three-dimensional model?
3. How does Leigh say he felt about Mr. Henshaw’s list of questions in his November 15 letter?
4. Leigh says in his November 15 letter that the back cover of one of Mr. Henshaw’s books, it states that he lives where?
5. Why does Leigh say he can’t complain to the teacher about someone stealing from his lunch bag in his first diary entry from December 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Mr. Henshaw’s questions does Leigh respond to on November 20? What are his responses?
2. On December 1, Leigh answers the final questions sent by Mr. Henshaw. How does he respond to “What bothers you?”
3. What does Leigh remark about Mr. Henshaw’s response in his November 15 letter?
4. What does Leigh say about the questions Mr. Henshaw sent him in his November 15 letter?
5. What is related of Mr. Henshaw’s advice to Leigh in Leigh’s letter from December 21?
6. What is the third question Leigh responds to on November 22? What is his response?
7. What does Leigh say about Mr. Henshaw’s questions in his letter from November 16?
8. What does Leigh ask Mr. Henshaw in his December 2 letter? What does Leigh relate about himself in this letter?
9. What does Leigh write about in his diary over the Christmas holidays (December 24-25)?
10. What new writing exercise does Leigh try out in his diary on January 10? Why?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)