|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is Leigh’s dog in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
2. In his third diary entry on December 24, Leigh writes that his dad had once remarked that when he was driving he often saw a lone shoe on the highway, so Leigh and his parents spent that Christmas Eve thinking up songs about shoes. What was Leigh’s song?
(a) “A lonesome hiker was unluckee / To lose his boot near Truckee / He hitched a ride with one foot dam / Down the road to Angels Camp.”
(b) “I saw a shoe / Wet with dew / Oh Highway 2 / It made me blue / What’ll I do?”
(c) “A dirty shoe / Makes me so blue / I’m lost at sea / Where shall I be.”
(d) “Driving with a heavy load / I saw a shoe upon the road / Squashed like a toad.”
3. What is the ninth question from Mr. Henshaw that Leigh answers in his letter from December 1?
(a) “Who are you?”
(b) “What bothers you?”
(c) “What do you wish?”
(d) “Where do you live?”
4. Leigh says he hates living where in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2?
(a) By the railroad tracks.
(b) Near the ocean.
(c) In a mobile home park.
(d) In a small town.
5. Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw on September 20 with ten questions. Number ten is not really a question. What is this statement?
(a) “Please include a biographical reference with your reply.”
(b) “Please tell me how to get an ‘A.’”
(c) “Please send a photograph.”
(d) “Please give me some tips on how to write a book.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2 that he wants to grow up to be what?
2. What does Leigh say is on the middle of the California flag in his December 12 letter to Mr. Henshaw?
3. How does Leigh sign his name in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3?
4. What is Leigh’s middle name?
5. What is Leigh’s mother studying at the community college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Leigh say his father phoned him from in his January 8 diary entry?
2. What does Leigh write about in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw, dated December 3? What grade is Leigh in now?
3. Which of Mr. Henshaw’s questions does Leigh respond to on November 20? What are his responses?
4. On December 1, Leigh answers the final questions sent by Mr. Henshaw. How does he respond to “What do you wish?”
5. What question does Leigh respond to in his November 24 letter? How does he respond?
6. How are Leigh’s diary entries differentiated from his letters in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
7. What is the third question Leigh responds to on November 22? What is his response?
8. What does Leigh say about Mr. Henshaw’s questions in his letter from November 16?
9. What does Leigh remark about Mr. Henshaw’s response in his November 15 letter?
10. What does Leigh write about his lunch situation in his diary on January 9 and 10?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)