|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leigh address his diary entries for most of the novel?
(a) “Dear Mr. Pretend Henshaw.”
(b) “Dear Unnamed Notebook.”
(c) “Dear Journal of Leigh Botts.”
(d) “Dear Diary.”
2. What advice does Leigh say his dad gave him about the person stealing his lunch in his diary entry from February 4?
(a) “Tell the teacher and see what she’ll do.”
(b) “Let your mom know.”
(c) “Find him and punch him in the nose.”
(d) “Set a burglar alarm in your lunchbox.”
3. By what name does Leigh say his dad goes by on the CB radio in his diary entry from February 2?
(a) "Billy the Kid."
(b) “Billy Badger from Bentley.”
(c) “Bill Bonito of Barsdale.”
(d) “Wild Bill from Bakersfield.”
4. What is the name of the man who works at the gas station by Leigh’s house?
5. What does Barry never use when he constructs his models?
6. Leigh writes in his diary on February 2 that he is trapped in his room with what on his bed?
(a) Sleeping babies.
(b) Sleeping puppies.
(c) His friend Barry.
(d) His sister.
7. Where does Leigh say he and his mother ate their dinner in his February 5 diary entry?
(a) By the butterfly tree.
(b) At the mobile home park.
(c) At the truck stop.
(d) By the ocean.
8. Who does Leigh say he and his mom used to scoop up the mashed potatoes and gravy with their dinner in his February 5 diary entry?
(a) An ice cream cone.
(c) Their fingers.
(d) Chicken bones.
9. What does Leigh describe white bread as tasting like in his March 15 diary entry?
10. How much money does Leigh say was included in his letter from his dad in his February 9 diary entry?
11. In his January 31 diary entry, Leigh writes “I am mad at Mom for” what?
(a) “Making me go to school.”
(b) “Forgetting to call me.”
(c) “Divorcing Dad.”
(d) “Making me write this.”
12. Leigh says in his January 12 letter to Mr. Henshaw that he is on what page of Beggar Bears?
13. Leigh says in his diary entry from January 20 that he wishes he had a grandfather like whom?
(b) Mr. Henshaw.
(c) Mr. Jameson.
(d) Mr. Fridley.
14. In his diary entry from January 20, Leigh writes that yesterday someone stole what from his lunch bag?
(a) Mini canapés.
(b) A piece of wedding cake.
(c) Chicken livers wrapped in bacon.
(d) Deviled eggs.
15. The butterflies that Leigh describes in his February 7 diary entry remind him of what story his mom read to him when he was younger?
(a) Snow White.
(c) Aesop’s Fables.
(d) The Cat and the Hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leigh say he is filled with due to his father’s failure to call him in his January 31 diary entry?
2. Leigh writes in his February 6 diary entry that he tried to start a story for Young Writers but only got as far as the title, which was what?
3. What does Leigh say he and his mom went to eat after crying in his February 5 diary entry?
4. In his letter to Mr. Henshaw on January 12, Leigh writes that his mother won’t do what because she wants Leigh’s “brain to stay in good shape”?
5. What does Leigh say he’s decided to save the money his dad sent him for in his February 9 diary entry?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)