|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leigh says in his diary entry from January 20 that he wishes he had a grandfather like whom?
(a) Mr. Jameson.
(c) Mr. Fridley.
(d) Mr. Henshaw.
2. Who suggests taping a cardboard shelf in Leigh’s lunchbox so his sandwich won’t muffle the alarm?
(a) Leigh’s dad.
(b) Miss Neely.
(c) Mr. Henshaw.
(d) Leigh’s mom.
3. Leigh writes in his March 3 diary entry that he bought what at the hardware store today?
(a) A potato bag, a lunchbox, and a lamp.
(b) A light switch, a battery, and a doorbell.
(c) A telephone wire, a box of paperclips, and a flashlight.
(d) A radio, a spool of wire, and a notebook.
4. What does Leigh say he’s decided to save the money his dad sent him for in his February 9 diary entry?
(a) Music lessons.
(b) A new dog.
(c) Writing classes.
(d) A typewriter.
5. What does Leigh write that his dad said to buy with the money he sent in his February 9 diary entry?
(a) A new jacket.
(b) A typewriter.
(c) A new dog.
(d) An ice cream cone.
6. What does Leigh describe white bread as tasting like in his March 15 diary entry?
7. What new vocabulary word does Leigh use to mean “to print” in his letter to Mr. Henshaw on January 19?
8. What advice does Leigh say his dad gave him about the person stealing his lunch in his diary entry from February 4?
(a) “Tell the teacher and see what she’ll do.”
(b) “Let your mom know.”
(c) “Set a burglar alarm in your lunchbox.”
(d) “Find him and punch him in the nose.”
9. On January 19, Leigh writes and thanks Mr. Henshaw for the postcard with a picture of what on it?
(a) The Eiffel Tower in Paris.
(b) Bears and a small cabin.
(c) A lake and mountains in the snow.
(d) A barren desert and pyramids.
10. In his letter to Mr. Henshaw on February 15, Leigh writes to ask for help with what?
(a) Learning to write in a diary.
(b) ow to make an alarm.
(c) An ending for his story.
(d) An author report.
11. What does “CB” stand for in “CB radio”?
(a) Contract Basis.
(b) Control Basis.
(c) Compact Band.
(d) Citizens’ Band.
12. Leigh says in his January 30 diary entry that he looked in his book of highway maps and figured out that his dad should be where now?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
13. In his January 31 diary entry, Leigh writes “I am mad at Mom for” what?
(a) “Forgetting to call me.”
(b) “Making me go to school.”
(c) “Making me write this.”
(d) “Divorcing Dad.”
14. Leigh says in his February 8 diary entry that he’s started on a new story for the Young Writers’ Yearbook. What is the title of Leigh’s new story?
(a) “The Lone Shoe on the Highway.”
(b) “The Cat from Muskogee.”
(c) “The Ten-Foot Wax Man.”
(d) “The Great Lunch Bag Mystery.”
15. In his March 1 diary entry, Leigh writes that he had to buy a new notebook for his diary for what reason?
(a) He filled up the first one.
(b) He spilled juice on the first one.
(c) He dropped the old one in the toilet.
(d) He burned the first one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leigh say always looks worried when kids throw out their lunches except for the cookies in his March 15 diary entry?
2. How does the mother bear die in Beggar Bears?
3. Leigh says in his February 5 diary entry that his mom and dad got married where?
4. On March 15, Leigh writes in his diary that he never found out what?
5. Where was Leigh’s dad traveling when he lost Leigh’s dog?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)