|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his December 12 letter, Leigh writes, “Mr. Fridley said maybe I should come to school a few minutes early every morning to help him with the flags, but please stop” doing what because it makes him nervous?
(a) “Walking in circles.”
(b) “Running across the road.”
(c) “Standing on your head.”
(d) “Walking backwards.”
2. Leigh says in his December 4 letter that he wishes his dad still hauled sugar beets for the refinery where?
(a) San Jose.
(b) Los Rios.
3. Where does Leigh say he’s gotten a postcard from Mr. Henshaw in his December 12 letter?
4. Leigh says in his November 13 letter to Mr. Henshaw that his teacher is making his class write to authors for what?
(a) The school paper.
(b) Book Week.
(c) The school yearbook.
(d) Author Month.
5. Where does Leigh say his dad phoned him from in Oregon in his January 8 diary entry?
6. What name does Leigh say he wrote on his lunch bag at school in his diary entry from January 3?
(a) Andrew Tucker.
(b) Joe Kelly.
(c) Bill Botts.
(d) James Reilly.
7. How does Leigh say his father ends their calls in his December 1 letter?
(a) “I love you, son.”
(b) “Keep your eye on the ball, kid.”
(c) “Who’s my favorite kid? You are!”
(d) “Well, keep your nose clean kid.”
8. How are Leigh’s diary entries differentiated from his letters to Mr. Henshaw in the novel?
(a) He writes the day of the week as well as the date on his letters.
(b) He signs his diary entries from “Leigh” and his letters from “Leigh Botts.”
(c) He addresses his diary entries “Dear Diary” and his letters “Dear Mr. Henshaw.”
(d) He writes the day of the week as well as the date on the diary entries.
9. Leigh says in his December 4 letter to Mr. Henshaw, “When you answered my questions, you said the way to get to be an author was to” what?
10. What is Leigh’s mother studying at the community college?
(a) Veterinary medicine.
(c) English literature.
11. What color is Leigh’s dog in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
12. How does Leigh describe most of the grownups by where he lives in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2?
(a) “Real bad with names.”
(b) “Real old with cats.”
(c) “Really cranky and bitter.”
(d) “Real funny and wise.”
13. In Mr. Henshaw’s response to Leigh that Leigh read aloud to his class, he answered that his real name was what?
(a) “William Shakespeare.”
(b) “Will I. Am.”
(c) “Messing A. Round.”
(d) “James C. Smarts.”
14. Leigh remarks in his letter on December 21 that he received Mr. Henshaw’s postcard with a picture of what on it?
15. Who does Leigh say invited Leigh and his mother to Christmas dinner in his December 25 diary entry?
(a) Miss Neely.
(c) Mr. Henshaw.
(d) Leigh’s dad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Leigh in when he writes his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3?
2. In his diary entry on January 10, Leigh writes that he wishes his dad were there so that he could teach Leigh how to do what?
3. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter that the first page of his diary looks the way he feels – which is what?
4. Who does Leigh say stands by the garbage cans in the lunchroom to make sure kids don’t throw their retainers away in his diary entry from January 8?
5. What is Leigh’s middle name?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)