|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mr. Henshaw’s book in Moose on Toast set?
2. What is Leigh’s middle name?
3. Where does Leigh say he’s gotten a postcard from Mr. Henshaw in his December 12 letter?
4. What new word in Leigh’s vocabulary does he use in his December 12 letter to refer to any of various lines or tackles for hoisting a flag?
5. Leigh writes in his diary entry for December 25 that he received what gift from his father for Christmas?
(a) A notebook and pencils.
(b) A BB gun.
(c) A quilted down jacket.
(d) A radio-controlled car.
6. Who does Leigh say stands by the garbage cans in the lunchroom to make sure kids don’t throw their retainers away in his diary entry from January 8?
(a) Miss Neely.
(b) Mr. Fridley.
(c) Miss Martinez.
(d) Miss Bassett.
7. In the story about a dog that Leigh describes in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3, he says that Joe’s dad told him he had to think of how many ways to entertain a dog?
8. Leigh says in his first letter to Mr. Henshaw that his teacher read Mr. Henshaw’s book about what on May 12?
(a) The moose.
(b) The dog.
(c) The cat.
(d) The bears.
9. In his third diary entry on December 24, Leigh writes that his dad had once remarked that when he was driving he often saw a lone shoe on the highway, so Leigh and his parents spent that Christmas Eve thinking up songs about shoes. What was Leigh’s song?
(a) “I saw a shoe / Wet with dew / Oh Highway 2 / It made me blue / What’ll I do?”
(b) “A lonesome hiker was unluckee / To lose his boot near Truckee / He hitched a ride with one foot dam / Down the road to Angels Camp.”
(c) “A dirty shoe / Makes me so blue / I’m lost at sea / Where shall I be.”
(d) “Driving with a heavy load / I saw a shoe upon the road / Squashed like a toad.”
10. Leigh says he hates living where in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2?
(a) In a small town.
(b) By the railroad tracks.
(c) In a mobile home park.
(d) Near the ocean.
11. In his diary entry on January 10, Leigh writes that he wishes his dad were there so that he could teach Leigh how to do what?
(a) Camp, hike and kayak.
(b) Make a burglar alarm for his lunch bag.
(c) Make a model car for his school assignment.
(d) Drive a semi truck.
12. Who does Leigh say invited Leigh and his mother to Christmas dinner in his December 25 diary entry?
(b) Mr. Henshaw.
(c) Leigh’s dad.
(d) Miss Neely.
13. What color is Leigh’s dog in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
14. Leigh says in his December 4 letter to Mr. Henshaw that maybe when he writes a book he’ll call it what?
(a) The Ten-Foot Tall Wax Man.
(b) The Great Lunch Bag Mystery.
(c) The Last of the Unicorns.
(d) The Great Potato Caper.
15. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2 that he wants to grow up to be what?
(a) “A famous book writer with a beard like you.”
(b) “A doctor or a neuroscientist.”
(c) “A scientist who travels in a van.”
(d) “A schoolteacher with a yellow school bus.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leigh say he can’t complain to the teacher about someone stealing from his lunch bag in his first diary entry from December 22?
2. In his third diary entry on December 24, Leigh writes that his dad had once remarked that when he was driving he often saw a lone shoe on the highway, so Leigh and his parents spent that Christmas Eve thinking up songs about shoes. What was the song Leigh’s dad made up?
3. Where did Leigh live with his parents prior to their divorce?
4. What is Leigh’s first response to Mr. Henshaw’s question “What do you wish?” in his December 1 letter?
5. Leigh writes in his diary entry for December 25 that who brought him his Christmas package from his father?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)