|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leigh says in his December 4 letter to Mr. Henshaw that maybe when he writes a book he’ll call it what?
(a) The Last of the Unicorns.
(b) The Great Potato Caper.
(c) The Ten-Foot Tall Wax Man.
(d) The Great Lunch Bag Mystery.
2. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2 that he wants to grow up to be what?
(a) “A doctor or a neuroscientist.”
(b) “A schoolteacher with a yellow school bus.”
(c) “A famous book writer with a beard like you.”
(d) “A scientist who travels in a van.”
3. How does Leigh say his father ends their calls in his December 1 letter?
(a) “I love you, son.”
(b) “Who’s my favorite kid? You are!”
(c) “Keep your eye on the ball, kid.”
(d) “Well, keep your nose clean kid.”
4. In his third letter to Mr. Henshaw, dated November 13, Leigh says he’s now in what grade?
(a) Sixth grade.
(b) Fourth grade.
(c) Third grade.
(d) Second grade.
5. What name does Leigh say he wrote on his lunch bag at school in his diary entry from January 3?
(a) Andrew Tucker.
(b) Bill Botts.
(c) James Reilly.
(d) Joe Kelly.
6. Where is Mr. Henshaw’s book in Moose on Toast set?
7. Where does Leigh say he’s gotten a postcard from Mr. Henshaw in his December 12 letter?
8. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his sixth letter, dated November 7, that he is now in what grade?
(a) Fifth grade.
(b) Seventh grade.
(c) Third grade.
(d) Second grade.
9. When does Leigh say he needs Mr. Henshaw’s answer to his ten questions by in order to complete his author report in his September 20 letter?
(a) By next Tuesday.
(b) By next Friday.
(c) By next Thursday.
(d) By Monday morning.
10. Leigh closes his September 20 letter to Mr. Henshaw with a limerick: “De Liver De Letter De Sooner De Better De Later De Letter De Madder” what?
(a) “I Getter.”
(b) “I Seemer.”
(c) “I Liver.”
(d) “I Starter.”
11. Leigh writes in his diary entry for December 25 that who brought him his Christmas package from his father?
(a) A bus driver.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A trucker.
(d) A policeman.
12. In his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2, Leigh asks why some of the grownups in Mr. Henshaw’s book didn’t do what?
(a) Give Joe their dogs.
(b) Offer to let Joe use their slide.
(c) Make Moose stew.
(d) Take Joe’s dog to the vet.
13. What is the ninth question from Mr. Henshaw that Leigh answers in his letter from December 1?
(a) “Where do you live?”
(b) “Who are you?”
(c) “What do you wish?”
(d) “What bothers you?”
14. What color is Leigh’s dog in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
15. Where did Leigh live with his parents prior to their divorce?
(b) San Jose.
(d) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leigh says in his November 15 letter that the back cover of one of Mr. Henshaw’s books, it states that he lives where?
2. Where did Leigh and his mother move after his parents’ divorce?
3. What does Leigh say his teacher has said there should be when a different person speaks in his December 12 letter?
4. What is Leigh’s first response to Mr. Henshaw’s question “What do you wish?” in his December 1 letter?
5. Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw on November 15 to say he was angry he didn’t receive Mr. Henshaw’s reply before his report was due, but he used information from where to complete it?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)