|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grade is Leigh in when he writes his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3?
(a) Third grade.
(b) Second grade.
(c) Fourth grade.
(d) First grade.
2. How does Leigh describe most of the grownups by where he lives in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2?
(a) “Real funny and wise.”
(b) “Real old with cats.”
(c) “Really cranky and bitter.”
(d) “Real bad with names.”
3. In his December 12 letter, Leigh writes, “Mr. Fridley said maybe I should come to school a few minutes early every morning to help him with the flags, but please stop” doing what because it makes him nervous?
(a) “Standing on your head.”
(b) “Walking backwards.”
(c) “Running across the road.”
(d) “Walking in circles.”
4. In his third diary entry on December 24, Leigh writes that his dad had once remarked that when he was driving he often saw a lone shoe on the highway, so Leigh and his parents spent that Christmas Eve thinking up songs about shoes. What was the song Leigh’s mom made up?
(a) “Driving with a heavy load / I saw a shoe upon the road / Squashed like a toad.”
(b) “A dirty shoe / Makes me so blue / I’m lost at sea / Where shall I be.”
(c) “A lonesome hiker was unluckee / To lose his boot near Truckee / He hitched a ride with one foot dam / Down the road to Angels Camp.”
(d) “I saw a shoe / Wet with dew / Oh Highway 2 / It made me blue / What’ll I do?”
5. Who does Leigh say invited Leigh and his mother to Christmas dinner in his December 25 diary entry?
(a) Mr. Henshaw.
(b) Leigh’s dad.
(c) Miss Neely.
6. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his fifth letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 2 that he wants to grow up to be what?
(a) “A schoolteacher with a yellow school bus.”
(b) “A famous book writer with a beard like you.”
(c) “A doctor or a neuroscientist.”
(d) “A scientist who travels in a van.”
7. Leigh says in his December 1 letter to Mr. Henshaw that no one is supposed to be on his school grounds until what time?
(a) 5 minutes before the bell rings.
(b) 15 minutes before the bell rings.
(c) 20 minutes before the bell rings.
(d) 10 minutes before the bell rings.
8. Where did Leigh live with his parents prior to their divorce?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) San Jose.
9. Where is Mr. Henshaw’s book in Moose on Toast set?
10. Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw on September 20 with ten questions. Number ten is not really a question. What is this statement?
(a) “Please give me some tips on how to write a book.”
(b) “Please tell me how to get an ‘A.’”
(c) “Please send a photograph.”
(d) “Please include a biographical reference with your reply.”
11. In the story about a dog that Leigh describes in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3, he says that Joe’s dad told him he had to think of how many ways to entertain a dog?
12. How many pounds of moose meat does the boy’s family have in their freezer in Moose on Toast?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 2,000 pounds.
(c) 500 pounds.
(d) 300 pounnds.
13. Who does Leigh say stands by the garbage cans in the lunchroom to make sure kids don’t throw their retainers away in his diary entry from January 8?
(a) Miss Martinez.
(b) Miss Neely.
(c) Mr. Fridley.
(d) Miss Bassett.
14. Leigh says in his December 4 letter to Mr. Henshaw, “When you answered my questions, you said the way to get to be an author was to” what?
15. Leigh closes his November 16 letter with a postscript that says, “If my Dad was here, he would tell you to” do what?
(a) “Get lost.”
(b) “Go climb a tree.”
(c) “Write me a letter.”
(d) “Write a new book.”
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Leigh’s diary entries differentiated from his letters to Mr. Henshaw in the novel?
2. How does Leigh sign his name in his second letter to Mr. Henshaw on December 3?
3. Leigh tells Mr. Henshaw in his December 13 letter that the first page of his diary looks the way he feels – which is what?
4. Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw on September 20 with ten questions. What is his first question for the author?
5. In Mr. Henshaw’s response to Leigh that Leigh read aloud to his class, he answered that his real name was what?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)