|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through December 1 – January 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leigh say his teacher has said there should be when a different person speaks in his December 12 letter?
(a) A new paragraph.
(b) A question mark.
(c) A period.
(d) A dash and ellipses.
2. Leigh writes to Mr. Henshaw on September 20 with ten questions. Number ten is not really a question. What is this statement?
(a) “Please give me some tips on how to write a book.”
(b) “Please include a biographical reference with your reply.”
(c) “Please tell me how to get an ‘A.’”
(d) “Please send a photograph.”
3. In his December 12 letter, Leigh writes, “Mr. Fridley said maybe I should come to school a few minutes early every morning to help him with the flags, but please stop” doing what because it makes him nervous?
(a) “Walking in circles.”
(b) “Walking backwards.”
(c) “Standing on your head.”
(d) “Running across the road.”
4. What color is Leigh’s dog in Dear Mr. Henshaw?
5. What new word in Leigh’s vocabulary does he use in his December 12 letter to refer to any of various lines or tackles for hoisting a flag?
Short Answer Questions
1. In his third diary entry on December 24, Leigh writes that his dad had once remarked that when he was driving he often saw a lone shoe on the highway, so Leigh and his parents spent that Christmas Eve thinking up songs about shoes. What was Leigh’s song?
2. Leigh says in his November 15 letter that the back cover of one of Mr. Henshaw’s books, it states that he lives where?
3. Leigh remarks in his letter on December 21 that he received Mr. Henshaw’s postcard with a picture of what on it?
4. Who does Leigh say is his favorite character in Mr. Henshaw’s book that he’s read in his third letter, dated November 13?
5. Leigh says in his first letter to Mr. Henshaw that his teacher read Mr. Henshaw’s book about what on May 12?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)