|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how old was Quan when he was arrested for the first time?
2. What movie was Quan watching the night his father was arrested?
3. In Chapter 4, what was the name of the kid at Quan's school who got expelled for screaming, cussing, flipping tables, and swinging at teachers?
4. Where did Dwight find some money that Quan's mother had hidden in Chapter 3?
5. In 2010, what was the name Quan's mother's boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Trish's relationship with her sister Tiff and her family?
2. What does Quan remember in Chapter 2 about stealing a cell phone?
3. What pushed Quan over the edge in 2012?
4. In Chapter 3, how long had it been since Trish worked and why?
5. What did Quan and Justyce have in common when they met in 2010?
6. What does Quan know about Aunt Tiff and her husband's financial situation?
7. What was Quan's favorite spot at the Wynwood Heights Park in 2010?
8. How has Liberty Ayers turned her life around?
9. In Chapter 2, what does Quan thank Justyce for sending him?
10. In Chapter 4, why does Quan not tell someone about the violence Dwight inflicts on his mother and how he treats the kids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What a reader knows about events and characters is determined by the point of view in a book. What is the point of view in the book? How does the point of view influence what readers know about events and people?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 3
Out of loyalty, Quan does not testify against Martel or his boys. Why does Quan feel loyalty to Martel and his boys? Why is he concerned about being loyal to them and associating with them when he is released? How does his sense of loyalty lead to an internal conflict for him?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)