|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Suggestions 7 - 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Adichie upset about in regards to emotions in Suggestion 4?
(a) Adichie is accused of being too pushy, because she pressured other feminist speakers to join her at a rally; she felt she was justified to gather other like-minded women.
(b) Adichie is accused of being too emotional, because she cried after a book review; she argued that she is human and has feelings.
(c) Adichie is accused of being angry, as if that was something to be ashamed of; she goes on to say that she is angry about both sexism and racism.
(d) Adichie is accused of being irrational, because she interrupted a sexist during a conference; she believes she had a right to stop the negative tone of the conference.
2. In Suggestion 9, what is one part of Igbo culture that should be not valued?
(b) Physical beauty.
3. How does Adichie feel about Sanders' advice?
(a) Adichie believes is will make Chizalum a better person.
(b) Adichie believes it is wise and moving.
(c) Adichie believes it is strong and thoughtful.
(d) Adichie believes it will make Chizalum a better feminist.
4. In Suggestion 1, what piece of advice does the pioneering journalist, Marlene Sanders, give?
(a) Sanders says, "Everybody will have an opinion about what you should do, but what matters most is what you want for yourself."
(b) Sanders says, "Please reject the idea that motherhood and work are mutually exclusive."
(c) Sanders says, "Never apologize for working. You love what you do, and loving what you do is a great gift to give to your child."
(d) Sanders says, "You don't even have to love your job; merely love what your job does for you."
5. What does Adichie suggest Ijeawele do in the coming weeks of motherhood for Suggestion 1?
(a) Adichie suggests that she be kind to herself and ask for help.
(b) Adichie suggests that men are not involved with the child's raising.
(c) Adichie suggests that everybody will have opinions, and she should reject them.
(d) Adichie suggests that she be active in her daughter's life and promote strong values.
Short Answer Questions
1. As stated in the Introduction, how long ago did the author, Adichie, receive a request her for advice?
2. How does Adichie's choice about her name represent a specific bigger issue as she states in Suggestion 7?
3. At the start of Suggestion 4, what does Adichie warn her friend about?
4. What does the absurd idea of "men will be men" mean at the start of the letter?
5. At the start of Suggestion 6, how does the author define "language"?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)