|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dallas back up Ben in Lambeer's class?
2. What examples does Ben use of prejudice and racism?
3. What does Coach say about the question Ben asks?
4. How does Coach offer to help Ben?
5. To what does Hey-Soos compare life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben do about his therapist's assignment?
2. What does Mr. Lambeer tell Ben about the school bond levy, what is Ben's response and what does Mr. Lambeer then do with Ben?
3. What does Rudy tell Ben is the reason he is an alcoholic?
4. What does Ben tell Lambeer when the teacher asks him if he is going to change his project?
5. What does Rudy's note to Ben say and what is Ben's response?
6. What other school official becomes involved in the debate about Ben's project, what does this official do and what does Ben tell him?
7. What has changed in November for Ben with football, how is the team doing and what does Coach think about Cody? How does he feel about Ben and the team?
8. What does Ben ask Coach about his book report, how does one of the students respond and what does Coach do to demonstrate democracy to the class?
9. How does Ben tell Dallas his secret, and what is her reaction?
10. Why does Ben go to see Rudy at three in the morning, and what does he find there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Deadline based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Deadline" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Deadline" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Ben and Cody. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ben and Sooner. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Deadline" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Deadline".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Deadline". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Deadline". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)