|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rudy think Ben was going to do earlier?
2. To what does Hey-Soos compare life?
3. What does Ben think one universal thing is?
4. Why does Dallas kick Ben out of the house?
5. What factor does Mr. Lambeer mention to tell Ben he can't do his project?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other school official becomes involved in the debate about Ben's project, what does this official do and what does Ben tell him?
2. Who is the first person Ben tells about his illness, what does he say to him and what is his response?
3. Where does Ben stop after leaving Rudy's, and what does he find out there?
4. What does Cody say to Ben after he tells him of his illness?
5. What has changed in November for Ben with football, how is the team doing and what does Coach think about Cody? How does he feel about Ben and the team?
6. How does Ben tell Dallas his secret, and what is her reaction?
7. What does Ben tell Lambeer when the teacher asks him if he is going to change his project?
8. What does Rudy's note to Ben say and what is Ben's response?
9. What does Ben do about his therapist's assignment?
10. What does Ben's family do for Thanksgiving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Ben and Cody. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ben and Sooner. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Deadline" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "Deadline" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Ben. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dallas. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of the Coach. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The day after Rudy dies, Ben goes to the courthouse. His conversation with the sheriff gets him thinking about the value of life. The man seemed more interested in talking about the football game than he did in dealing with the life of the town drunk. That day Ben has a hard time concentrating because the events of the past few months have Ben really thinking about people and their lives. He thinks about factors in their lives that contributed to the way each person ended out.
1. Do you think Ben handled the situation with Rudy correctly? Do you think he should have called the police right after Rudy told him? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think people devalue a human life if it is someone like the town drunk? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Chose either Ben, Rudy, Dallas or Sooner and discuss how the factors in his or her life contributed to how that person became who he or she is. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)