|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rudy show Ben when he stops by his room?
2. Why did Ben's parents hold him back in school?
3. What talk does Ben's father mention to Ben?
4. What does Ben want to do with his teachers in his senior year?
5. What does Ben decide to do about his illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ben do about the Horseshoe Bend game, and why?
2. How does Lambeer find out what Ben is reading and what does he say about it?
3. What does Ben say about having a terminal illness at such a young age?
4. What does the doctor tell Ben and what does the doctor do to be certain about his information?
5. What do Ben and Cody find when they get home, what does it tell them and what does their father say about the situation?
6. What does Hey-Soos say to Ben about Dallas's sharing, and why is Ben worried?
7. What are Ben's two other main goals for his senior year besides his academic goal?
8. What does Dallas ask Ben when he sees her after the Horseshoe Bend game and what does she tell him?
9. Where does Dr. Wagner take Ben to learn more about his illness, what does he learn, and what does Ben decide to do for treatment?
10. What does Ben ask his father about his mother and what is his father's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The day after Rudy dies, Ben goes to the courthouse. His conversation with the sheriff gets him thinking about the value of life. The man seemed more interested in talking about the football game than he did in dealing with the life of the town drunk. That day Ben has a hard time concentrating because the events of the past few months have Ben really thinking about people and their lives. He thinks about factors in their lives that contributed to the way each person ended out.
1. Do you think Ben handled the situation with Rudy correctly? Do you think he should have called the police right after Rudy told him? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think people devalue a human life if it is someone like the town drunk? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. Chose either Ben, Rudy, Dallas or Sooner and discuss how the factors in his or her life contributed to how that person became who he or she is. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Deadline".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Deadline". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Deadline". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)