|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the 1918 flu epidemic commonly known as?
2. What brand of tampon turned out to be closely associated with cases of TSS in the 1980s?
3. When did Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans?
4. What was the average life-expectancy in the United States in the year 1900?
5. Which family member of Osterholm's contracted the HIV virus through a blood transfusion in the 1980s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Osterholm say public health science is based on, and how does the public perceive these things?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Osterholm reveal as what he thinks is the probable cause of the world's next pandemic?
3. What does Osterholm view as the scariest means of transmission for microbes, and why?
4. How does Osterholm distinguish between a so-called good death and a bad death?
5. What are two major diseases the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has put large amounts of money into developing vaccines for?
6. What is one of the factors Osterholm thinks contributed to the anti-vaccine movement?
7. Why was Dr. Jonas Salk such a hero to so many parents in the 1950s?
8. In the Introduction, what are the two metaphors for disease that Osterholm sets out for use throughout the book?
9. How was Osterholm personally affected by the AIDS epidemic?
10. What is the term Osterholm uses for the process of a microbe moving from one place to another host?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Osterholm's view, why is Dr. John Snow such an important figure in the field of epidemiology, and what is Dr. Snow most famous for? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, what is Osterholm's opinion about Dr. Carlo Urbani, the Italian doctor who first identified SARS as the deadly pathogen it is? What are some of the personal and professional attributes Urbani demonstrated that informed Osterholm's opinion of him? Write an essay explaining your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, what were some of the most important measures doctors and public health officials around the world enacted to help get the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s under control? Write an essay explaining your answers.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)