|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outward sign does Vanessa think Grandpa Nye's lawn signifies?
2. Grandpa Nye's mother's family can trace its roots to what country?
3. Who were Grandpa Nye's mother's family?
4. What was the L F B M Club?
5. At the beginning of the story, Vanessa's grandfather tells her the story of ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vanessa's view on life change with the onset of summer vacation?
2. What is Vanessa's only recollection of Grandmother Nye?
3. How does Vanessa's mother maintain appearances for her husband's sake?
4. How does Grandpa Nye feel now about his days of paddling canoes as a boy?
5. How does Vanessa learn that Grandpa Nye is near death?
6. Who is Vanessa's summer love?
7. What does Vanessa keep by her bedside?
8. What topic of conversation does Vanessa's father bring up which surprises her in light of the sad news about Grandpa Nye?
9. What is Grandpa Nye's condition when the family goes to visit him?
10. Why are Vanessa and Lisa uncomfortable in their parents' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tecumseh. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by writing about Tecumseh in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story THE DEAD OF THE HOUSE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Vanessa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)