|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pictures of Grandmother Nye are hanging in the house?
2. What is the name of Vanessa's grandfather?
3. How many of Grandpa Nye's children died?
4. Grandpa Nye spent some of the finest times in his life ___________________.
5. In what year do Vanessa's ancestors come to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Vanessa and her grandfather as he tells her more about her ancestors?
2. How is Grandpa Nye present at the Nye house even though he is in the hospital?
3. How does Vanessa's self esteem suffer from comparisons to other people?
4. What do Vanessa and her father agree will be Grandpa Nye's legacy?
5. What is the setting of the "And Here Tecumseh Fell" chapter?
6. How does Vanessa's father struggle to manage his grief about Grandpa Nye's imminent death?
7. How does Grandpa Nye try to keep the family alive throughout the house?
8. What changes have Vanessa and Lisa noticed in their parents during this visit?
9. What does Eugenie reveal about what was found in Grandpa Nye's house when he moved?
10. What book did Grandpa Nye write about his adventures in Canada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ancestry and heritage take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Aunt Janice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)