|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whose perspective is the story told?
2. Vanessa's only recollection of Grandmother Nye is seeing her ____________________.
3. How far back does Vanessa share her family lineage?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. What outward sign does Vanessa think Grandpa Nye's lawn signifies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amazing war story does Grandpa Nye tell Vanessa about James DeGolyer?
2. How does the novel get its title?
3. Why does Vanessa get especially melancholy about Uncle Joab?
4. What aspect of history has always intrigued Grandpa Nye?
5. Where are Vanessa and her grandfather as he tells her more about her ancestors?
6. Why does Vanessa think her grandfather looks like Tecumseh?
7. Explain the L F B M Club.
8. How long did it take for Dirk to finally kiss Vanessa?
9. What sort of ritual do Vanessa and Grandpa Nye engage in while thinking of Tecumseh?
10. Who is Vanessa's summer love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Nye. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Ancestry and heritage take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)