|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grandpa Nye spent some of the finest times in his life ___________________.
2. What was Vanessa's attitude toward her grandfather's stories?
3. Where did Grandpa Nye attend college?
4. Miss Janice had been _________________ in Grandpa and Grandmother Nye's home.
5. How can Grandpa Nye's lawn be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vanessa begin the story?
2. How does Vanessa's mother maintain appearances for her husband's sake?
3. What advice does Grandpa Nye give Vanessa about keeping company with rivers, lakes and books?
4. What does Vanessa keep by her bedside?
5. How do Vanessa and Lisa try to come to terms with the changes in their childhood home?
6. Why does Vanessa get especially melancholy about Uncle Joab?
7. What aspect of history has always intrigued Grandpa Nye?
8. What careers did Grandpa Nye have in his lifetime?
9. What is especially poignant about the family's leaving Grandpa Nye's hospital room?
10. Why was Grandpa Nye determined to speak at the library cornerstone ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of loss. Identify at least two motifs about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each example.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Vanessa. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Ancestry and heritage take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)