|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style house does Grandfather Nye have?
2. From what country do Vanessa's ancestors come?
3. From whom did Vanessa's great-great-grandfather receive a message?
(a) His wife.
(b) The mayor.
(d) His neighbor.
4. Who were the members of the L F B M Club?
(a) Grandpa Nye and his girlfriend.
(b) Grandpa Nye and his brothers.
(c) Grandpa Nye and five friends.
(d) Grandpa Nye and four friends.
5. Who does Vanessa think Grandpa Nye looks like?
(a) Groucho Marx.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vanessa's great-great-grandmother thought moving to America was a _____________ idea.
2. What was Vanessa's attitude toward her grandfather's stories?
3. Grandpa had his theories of creationism tested by Alfred Russel Wallace, ____________ partner.
4. What was the L F B M Club?
5. In what season does Vanessa read Uncle Joab's poetry outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vanessa get especially melancholy about Uncle Joab?
2. How is the sour wine a metaphor for this phase of Grandpa Nye's life?
3. What topic of conversation does Vanessa's father bring up which surprises her in light of the sad news about Grandpa Nye?
4. What book did Grandpa Nye write about his adventures in Canada?
5. What amazing war story does Grandpa Nye tell Vanessa about James DeGolyer?
6. Why was Grandpa Nye determined to speak at the library cornerstone ceremony?
7. Who did Grandpa Nye marry and who were their children?
8. Where is Vanessa when she learns about the bombs being dropped on Pearl Harbor and what effect does World War II have on her life?
9. How does Vanessa's father struggle to manage his grief about Grandpa Nye's imminent death?
10. What does Vanessa recall about noticing how Grandpa Nye is different from everybody else?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)