|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year do Vanessa's ancestors come to America?
2. In which religion did Vanessa's great-great-grandfather preach?
3. How can Grandpa Nye's lawn be described?
4. Who were the members of the L F B M Club?
(a) Grandpa Nye and five friends.
(b) Grandpa Nye and his girlfriend.
(c) Grandpa Nye and his brothers.
(d) Grandpa Nye and four friends.
5. What style house does Grandfather Nye have?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, Vanessa's grandfather tells her the story of ____________________.
2. What does Vanessa call Grandmother Nye, Nathaniel, Joab and Great Grandmother Vanessa?
3. Who is the narrator of the story?
4. From whose perspective is the story told?
5. Who did Grandpa Nye marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vanessa recall about noticing how Grandpa Nye is different from everybody else?
2. How does Vanessa's father struggle to manage his grief about Grandpa Nye's imminent death?
3. How does the novel get its title?
4. How does Grandpa Nye help the girls to appreciate the historic trail they will take on the way to Michigan?
5. How does Vanessa's mood brighten on a gloomy October day as she approaches Grandpa Nye's house?
6. How does Vanessa learn that Grandpa Nye is near death?
7. Where are Vanessa and her grandfather as he tells her more about her ancestors?
8. Whose spirit is strong in the room while Vanessa looks over the engravings and books about William Henry Harrison?
9. How does Vanessa begin the story?
10. How did Grandpa Nye adapt to life as a boy in Cincinnati?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)