|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a summer activity at the lake?
(c) Fires at the beach.
2. Where does the family go to dinner the night before they leave for vacation?
(b) Olive Garden.
(c) Grandpa Nye's house.
(d) Buck's Diner.
3. What topic especially intrigues Grandpa Nye about history?
(a) The Ohio Valley.
(b) The Wild West.
(c) Canadian provinces.
(d) New England.
4. Which of the following does Vanessa's family not do when they come for dinner at Grandpa Nye's house?
(a) Listen to stories.
(b) Look at old photographs.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Drink homemade wine.
5. Which U.S. President does Grandpa Nye have a lot of interest in?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) William Henry Harrison.
(d) Ulysses S. Grant.
6. What type of figurines are in the armoire at Grandpa Nye's house?
7. What is the time period of Summer Afternoon, Summer Afternoon?
(a) June 1960.
(b) August 1954.
(c) June 1940.
(d) December 1941.
8. James DeGolyer came to Canada, moved to Massachusetts and eventually settled in _____________.
(c) New York.
9. What does Vanessa do in her bedroom?
(a) Listens to music.
(b) Combs her hair.
(c) Changes clothes.
(d) Reads a book.
10. Where is Vanessa headed when the story picks up in October?
(a) Grandpa Nye's house.
(b) A birthday party.
(d) The library.
11. What does Vanessa want to be when she finishes school?
(a) A writer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A lawyer.
12. Today is the day Grandpa Nye has promised to tell Vanessa about ____________________.
(a) His lost loves.
(b) His Canadian expeditions.
(c) The DeGolyer branch of the family tree.
(d) His writing career.
13. What plans to Vanessa and Dirk make?
(a) To go to the same college.
(b) To get married.
(c) To co-author a book.
(d) To always vacation in Michigan.
14. What do Lisa and Vanessa go to the basement with Grandpa Nye to do?
(a) Bring up some apples.
(b) Look at scrapbooks.
(c) Find their old bicycles.
(d) Pick out a bottle of wine.
15. What does Vanessa find in the pocket of her jacket?
(a) A pinecone.
(b) Dead leaves.
(c) Stone and sand.
(d) A dollar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not how Vanessa describes the cottage?
2. What does Vanessa's mother talk to her about while Dirk is in town?
3. Where does the Nye family go on their summer vacation during the first year of World War II?
4. Who is Vanessa's best friend?
5. Who does Vanessa flirt with all summer?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)