|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Grandpa Nye not recall about his childhood days?
(a) Digging for arrowheads.
2. What is the topic of Grandpa Nye's story today?
(a) The family's first Christmas in America.
(b) Learning to speak French in Quebec.
(c) The family's move from Quebec to Cincinnati.
(d) Learning how to skate in Ohio.
3. From whom did Vanessa's great-great-grandfather receive a message?
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His wife.
(d) The mayor.
4. Who did Grandpa Nye marry after the death of Grandmother Nye?
(a) Miss Janice.
(b) Miss Janie.
(c) Miss Janine.
(d) Miss Julie.
5. In what city does Grandfather Nye live?
(a) Cincinnati, Ohio.
(b) Duluth, Minnesota.
(c) Elizabeth, Pennsylvania.
(d) Atlanta, Georgia.
6. Grandpa Nye spent some of the finest times in his life ___________________.
(a) Paddling canoes.
(b) Drinking cold beer.
(c) Playing baseball.
(d) Kissing his wife.
7. In what year do Vanessa's ancestors come to America?
8. What outward sign does Vanessa think Grandpa Nye's lawn signifies?
(a) He is an artist at heart.
(b) He is different from everybody else.
(c) He needs some help around the house.
(d) He still has a good eye for detail.
9. What does Vanessa consider Grandpa Nye's lawn to be?
(a) An embarrassment.
(b) A cry for help.
(c) An outward sign.
(d) A showplace.
10. Vanessa has the ______________ of a person far beyond her years.
11. Who was Bronson Alcott's daughter?
(a) Regina Sue Alcott.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Louisa May Alcott.
12. Where are Vanessa and her grandfather when he tells her the story of her ancestors again?
(a) Taking a walk.
(b) Driving in the car.
(c) The local Starbucks.
(d) The front porch of his house.
13. What does Grandpa Nye have all over the house?
(a) Family pictures.
14. What was Vanessa's reaction to seeing her grandmother in her casket?
(a) She wanted to kiss her.
(b) She cried.
(c) She fainted.
(d) She went into hysterics.
15. Who has been the major influence in Vanessa's life?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the message given to Vanessa's great-great-grandfather?
2. In which religion did Vanessa's great-great-grandfather preach?
3. How can Grandpa Nye's lawn be described?
4. Who befriended Grandpa Nye while in school?
5. What was Vanessa's attitude toward her grandfather's stories?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)