|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the boys put into the carved initials on their chests?
2. Where did Vanessa's great-great-grandparents eventually settle?
3. What does Grandpa Nye have all over the house?
(a) Family pictures.
4. How did the L F B M Club members swear their faithfulness?
(a) They carved the club's initials into their chests.
(b) They cut off one of their earlobes.
(c) They did a pinky swear.
(d) They took a blood oath.
5. In what season does Vanessa read Uncle Joab's poetry outside?
6. How are the lawns around Grandpa Nye's house described?
(d) Not landscaped.
7. How can Grandpa Nye's lawn be described?
8. How many children did Vanessa's great-great-grandparents have?
9. At the beginning of the story, Vanessa's grandfather tells her the story of ____________________.
(a) Her ancestors.
(b) His musical career.
(c) His job as a professor.
(d) His apprenticeship.
10. What does Vanessa share with the reader at the beginning of the story?
(a) Her middle name.
(b) Her crush.
(c) Her family lineage.
(d) Her hiding place.
11. Where are Vanessa and her grandfather when he tells her the story of her ancestors again?
(a) Taking a walk.
(b) The front porch of his house.
(c) The local Starbucks.
(d) Driving in the car.
12. What was Vanessa's great-great-grandfather's profession?
13. Miss Janice had been _________________ in Grandpa and Grandmother Nye's home.
(a) The nanny.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) The secretary.
(d) The cook.
14. Vanessa has the ______________ of a person far beyond her years.
15. What was Vanessa's reaction to seeing her grandmother in her casket?
(a) She fainted.
(b) She went into hysterics.
(c) She cried.
(d) She wanted to kiss her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Grandfather Nye live?
2. What style house does Grandfather Nye have?
3. What waterway were the children used to playing on?
4. Which of the following do Grandmother Nye's children not say when describing her?
5. What mood does Uncle Joab's poetry create in Vanessa?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)