|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do Grandmother Nye's children not say when describing her?
2. How can Grandpa Nye's lawn be described?
3. What was the message given to Vanessa's great-great-grandfather?
(a) Become an architect.
(b) Become a minister.
(c) Go to America.
(d) Open an orphanage.
4. What was Vanessa's attitude toward her grandfather's stories?
(a) She hated them.
(b) She couldn't get enough of them.
(c) She endured them.
(d) She could take them or leave them.
5. From what country do Vanessa's ancestors come?
6. Where are Vanessa and her grandfather when he tells her the story of her ancestors again?
(a) The local Starbucks.
(b) Taking a walk.
(c) Driving in the car.
(d) The front porch of his house.
7. What waterway were the children used to playing on?
(a) Lake Champlain.
(b) Lake Ontario.
(c) The St. Lawrence Seaway.
(d) Lake Superior.
8. Grandpa Nye is filled with sadness for _____________________.
(a) His lost youth.
(b) Dead soldiers.
(d) Starving children.
9. Vanessa's only recollection of Grandmother Nye is seeing her ____________________.
(a) Baking pies.
(b) Playing croquet.
(c) Lying in her casket.
10. What is the name of Vanessa's grandfather?
(a) Grandfather Nye.
(b) Grandfather Williams.
(c) Grandfather Nyberg.
(d) Grandfather Shannon.
11. What was the L F B M Club?
(a) The Lively Five of the Blue Miami.
(b) The Lovely Flowers of the Bijou Maiden.
(c) The Last Five Buddies of the Miami.
(d) The Last Five Big Men.
12. Where did the children play when they moved to Cincinnati?
(a) Anderson Park.
(b) Lake Longworth.
(c) Their backyard.
(d) The Ohio River.
13. In which religion did Vanessa's great-great-grandfather preach?
14. Who persuades Grandpa Nye's grandfather to move from Canada to Ohio?
(a) His boss.
(b) His father-in-law.
(c) His brother.
(d) One of his wife's cousins.
15. How are the lawns around Grandpa Nye's house described?
(a) Not landscaped.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season does Vanessa read Uncle Joab's poetry outside?
2. Miss Janice had been _________________ in Grandpa and Grandmother Nye's home.
3. Who was Bronson Alcott's daughter?
4. What did the boys put into the carved initials on their chests?
5. What is the topic of Grandpa Nye's story today?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)