|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general doing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. How many Corinthian columns are outside the general's house?
3. What do the men of N start to think Tchitchikov is?
4. How many bottles of champagne does Tchitchikov drink with the man he buys land from?
5. Why does Andrey quit his job in Petersburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the postmaster of N. think Tchitchikov might be Captain Kopeykin?
2. Why does Andrey stop pursuing Ulinka?
3. Why does Tchitchikov get a late start on his day the morning after Nozdroyov visits him?
4. Why do the men of N. decide they do not want to be associated with Tchitchikov?
5. How does Vassilyevitch offer to help Hlobuev with his money problems?
6. Why does Andrey quit his first job in Petersburg?
7. What happens when Tchitchikov tries to go to the governor's house?
8. Why does Tchitchikov spend time in prison prior to coming to N?
9. How does the general react when Tchitchikov tells him that Andrey is sorry for their disagreement?
10. Why do people assume that Tchitchikov caused the prosecutor's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Gogol divided his story into two parts? How does the division help the reader understand the story better? How does it make the story more complex? Could each section stand alone and be successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Plyushkin's role in the book. What is his significance? How is his character more believable than Gogol's other landowners? Do you think he is meant to be a caricature? Why or why not? How does his presence enhance the reader's understanding of Tchitchikov? What can be learned about Tchitchikov by examining his treatment of Plyushkin?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Manilov and Nozdroyov. How are they alike? How are they different? How would the novel be different without them? Who has more of an effect on the plot of the novel? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)