|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Anna and Sofia think is helping Tchitchikov with his plan?
2. What do the men of N start to think Tchitchikov is?
3. Why do Anna and Sofia think Tchitchikov buys dead souls?
4. To whom does Tchitchikov tell the general his uncle might leave his house?
5. Who helps Tchitchikov get out of prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrey quit his first job in Petersburg?
2. What reason does Tchitchikov give for why he wants to buy General Betrishtchev's dead souls?
3. Why does the postmaster of N. think Tchitchikov might be Captain Kopeykin?
4. Why do people assume that Tchitchikov caused the prosecutor's death?
5. What does Skudronzhoglo tell Tchitchikov about getting rich?
6. How does Tchitchikov feel about General Betrishtchev when he meets him?
7. Why is Tchitchikov thrown in prison in Part 2, Chapter 5?
8. Why does Tchitchikov spend time in prison prior to coming to N?
9. Why is Tchitchikov apprehensive about buying land from Hlobuev?
10. Why do Tchitchikov and Platon set out on a journey together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of immorality as a theme in the novel. Which characters are immoral? How does immorality drive the plot? What does the author seem to be saying about immorality, especially within the nobility?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character of Andrey. Why do you think so much description is given about him when he does not even appear again in the story? How does Gogol use him to make fun of Russian noblemen?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Manilov and Nozdroyov. How are they alike? How are they different? How would the novel be different without them? Who has more of an effect on the plot of the novel? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)