|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Tchitchikov not be Captain Kopeykin?
2. How many souls does Platon own?
3. What is Pyetuh's first name?
4. Who agrees to loan Tchitchikov money?
5. How many bottles of champagne does Tchitchikov drink with the man he buys land from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nozdroyov go to visit Tchitchikov?
2. What does Andrey do for work?
3. What gossip does Sofia tell Anna?
4. Describe Ulinka's appearance.
5. Why do Tchitchikov and Platon set out on a journey together?
6. Why does Andrey stop pursuing Ulinka?
7. What happens when Tchitchikov tries to go to the governor's house?
8. Why do people assume that Tchitchikov caused the prosecutor's death?
9. Why does the postmaster of N. think Tchitchikov might be Captain Kopeykin?
10. How does the general react when Tchitchikov tells him that Andrey is sorry for their disagreement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What point does Gogol make about the important men of Russia? List two characters that Gogol uses as caricatures of Russian noblemen. How are these characters used to make fun of the noblemen? What is Gogol criticizing? Is his attempt at making a point using caricatures effective?
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that the narrator waits until the end of Part 1 to reveal the true nature of Tchitchikov? How does he try to make the reader feel sorry for Tchitchikov? Is he successful? Why do you think the narrator is so intent on making Tchitchikov out to be a hero when he has done so many horrible things?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the important people of N. become so interested in Tchitchikov? What is the significance of their interest in him? How does their interest in him drive the plot? What does Tchitchikov do to gain their interest?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)