|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of pest does Tchitchikov see on the clock in Plyushkin's house?
2. What does Sobakevitch tell Tchitchikov about Plyushkin?
3. What does Petrushka do for Tchitchikov?
4. How many children does Plyushkin's wife give him?
5. What does Nozdroyov tell everyone at the police chief's ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tchitchikov think Nozdroyov would be a good person to buy dead souls from?
2. What does Tchitchikov see as he approaches Sobakevitch's house?
3. How does the narrator describe Nozdroyov's character?
4. Why does Manilov decide to sell his dead souls to Tchitchikov?
5. How does Tchitchikov make himself feel better about not going after the young girl he meets?
6. Why is Plyushkin so miserable?
7. Why does Tchitchikov decide to try his scheme on Manilov even though he has just met him?
8. How do the women at the ball feel about Tchitchikov's interest in the general's daughter?
9. Describe Plyushkin's appearance.
10. Why does Tchitchikov need to go to the government building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Plyushkin's role in the book. What is his significance? How is his character more believable than Gogol's other landowners? Do you think he is meant to be a caricature? Why or why not? How does his presence enhance the reader's understanding of Tchitchikov? What can be learned about Tchitchikov by examining his treatment of Plyushkin?
Essay Topic 2
How are Russian women portrayed in the novel? What is the significance of this portrayal? How are the women used to satirize Russian life? How do the women drive the novel's plot? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about the houses of the people that Tchitchikov visits? Why do you think the author gives such vivid descriptions of the houses and their furnishings? How do the homes reflect their owners? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)