|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Tchitchikov think Sobakevitch looks like?
2. What does Tchitchikov ask the servant at the hotel about?
3. What do Tchitchikov's new friends promise to help him do?
4. Whom does Tchitchikov tell Sobakevitch he likes the most of everyone he has met?
5. What does Tchitchikov accuse Selifan of in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Tchitchikov asks the clerk to complete his sales?
2. How does Tchitchikov make himself feel better about not going after the young girl he meets?
3. Why does Tchitchikov need to go to the government building?
4. Why does become Nozdroyov become angry with Tchitchikov and attacks him?
5. Why does Plyushkin sell his dead souls to Tchitchikov?
6. What does the Narrator say about the women of N?
7. Why does the narrator not go into detail about Selifan?
8. How does Tchitchikov end up at Madame Korobotcha's house?
9. How does the narrator describe Nozdroyov's character?
10. How does Tchitchikov feel when looking at his list of acquired souls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Sobakevitch play in the novel? How is he described? What is his significance? Why is it important that he sell his souls to Tchitchikov so easily? What does that say about him? What does it say about Tchitchikov?
Essay Topic 2
How are Russian women portrayed in the novel? What is the significance of this portrayal? How are the women used to satirize Russian life? How do the women drive the novel's plot? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant that the narrator refuses to quote Sofia and Anna speaking in French to each other? How does Gogol use his novel to call for a change in Russian society? What is he critical of? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)