|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sobakevitch tell Tchitchikov about Plyushkin?
2. What day of the week does Tchitchikov bathe?
3. What is the name of the town that Tchitchikov visits at the beginning of the novel?
4. What is Tchitchikov's most attractive feature?
5. Where does Tchitchikov meet with Nozdroyov in Part 1: Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sobakevitch speak about the people with whom Tchitchikov has become friends?
2. Why does the narrator not go into detail about Selifan?
3. Why does become Nozdroyov become angry with Tchitchikov and attacks him?
4. How do the women at the ball feel about Tchitchikov's interest in the general's daughter?
5. How does Tchitchikov spend his first day in N?
6. How does Tchitchikov end up at Madame Korobotcha's house?
7. Describe Madame Korobotcha's house.
8. Why is everyone in town talking about Tchitchikov at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 8?
9. Why does Tchitchikov tell Nozdroyov that he wants dead souls?
10. How do the people at the police captain's house treat Tchitchikov at the end of Part 1, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of having a biased narrator with a personality and opinions of his own? Does the narrator skew the reader's view of characters and events in the book? How is the book different once the biased narrator is gone?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Nozdroyov's dark side and immorality? What is the author saying by giving a nobleman such a violent personality? How does the reader discover more about Tchitchikov through Nozdroyov's dark side?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Manilov and Nozdroyov. How are they alike? How are they different? How would the novel be different without them? Who has more of an effect on the plot of the novel? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)