|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Madame Korobotcha's servant?
2. What do Tchitchikov and Selifan hear while traveling in the rain that makes them realize they have reached a village?
3. In what Ianguage do the women of N often speak?
4. What does Nozdroyov reveal to Tchitchikov in Part 1: Chapter 4?
5. How does Tchitchikov respond when Sobakevitch agrees to sell his dead souls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Nozdroyov's character?
2. What happens when Tchitchikov asks the clerk to complete his sales?
3. How does Tchitchikov end up at Madame Korobotcha's house?
4. Describe Plyushkin's estate.
5. How do the women at the ball feel about Tchitchikov's interest in the general's daughter?
6. Why does Plyushkin sell his dead souls to Tchitchikov?
7. Describe Madame Korobotcha's house.
8. Why does Tchitchikov decide to try his scheme on Manilov even though he has just met him?
9. What does Sobakevitch say about Plyushkin?
10. Why does Tchitchikov need to go to the government building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of gossip in the story? How does gossip drive the plot? Which characters gossip? What does the author seem to be saying about gossip?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Manilov and Nozdroyov. How are they alike? How are they different? How would the novel be different without them? Who has more of an effect on the plot of the novel? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of immorality as a theme in the novel. Which characters are immoral? How does immorality drive the plot? What does the author seem to be saying about immorality, especially within the nobility?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)