|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the beautiful girl Tchitchikov bumps his chaise into?
2. For what is Nozdroyov arrested?
3. What do Tchitchikov's new friends promise to help him do?
4. Who does the girl Tchitchikov runs into with his chaise turn out to be?
5. What does Tchitchikov ask the servant at the hotel about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people at the police captain's house treat Tchitchikov at the end of Part 1, Chapter 7?
2. What does Sobakevitch say about Plyushkin?
3. Why does Tchitchikov need to go to the government building?
4. Why does Plyushkin sell his dead souls to Tchitchikov?
5. Why does Madame Korobotcha sell her souls to Tchitchikov?
6. Why does Tchitchikov decide to try his scheme on Manilov even though he has just met him?
7. Why does Manilov decide to sell his dead souls to Tchitchikov?
8. Why does Tchitchikov tell Nozdroyov that he wants dead souls?
9. How do the women at the ball feel about Tchitchikov's interest in the general's daughter?
10. Describe Tchitchikov's hotel room.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Manilov and Nozdroyov. How are they alike? How are they different? How would the novel be different without them? Who has more of an effect on the plot of the novel? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character of Andrey. Why do you think so much description is given about him when he does not even appear again in the story? How does Gogol use him to make fun of Russian noblemen?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant that the narrator refuses to quote Sofia and Anna speaking in French to each other? How does Gogol use his novel to call for a change in Russian society? What is he critical of? Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)