|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator note is unusual about Tchitchikov's hotel room?
(a) Only one window.
(b) Children's books on the shelf.
(c) A painting of a nymph.
(d) Orange ceilings.
2. Which horse does Selifan become angry with?
(a) The Appaloosa.
(b) The dapple-grey.
(c) The bay.
(d) The quarter horse.
3. About what time is it when Tchitchikov wakes up when he spends the night at Madame Korobotcha's?
(a) 10 a.m.
(b) 9 a.m.
(c) 6 a.m.
4. What is Tchitchikov's most attractive feature?
(a) His cheekbones.
(b) His nose.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His chin.
5. How many souls does Plyushkin own?
(a) More than 500.
(b) More than 3,000.
(c) More than 1,000.
(d) More than 800.
6. Where does the president invite Tchitchikov and Manilov?
(a) To the police-chief's home.
(b) To a tavern.
(c) To his home.
(d) To a play.
7. How many sleepless nights does Madame Korobotcha spend worrying about being cheated?
8. How old is Manilov's youngest child?
9. What piece of furniture is unfinished in Manilov's study?
10. What does Madame Korobotcha complain about to Tchitchikov?
(a) Her drinking problem.
(b) Her insomnia.
(c) Her animals that will not breed.
(d) Her terrible servants.
11. Who does the girl Tchitchikov runs into with his chaise turn out to be?
(a) The postmaster's niece.
(b) The governor's daughter.
(c) The president's wife.
(d) The police chief's sister.
12. What does Nozdroyov reveal to Tchitchikov in Part 1: Chapter 4?
(a) He has a drinking problem.
(b) He never finished school.
(c) He has been cheating on his wife.
(d) He has gambled away a lot of money.
13. What does Tchitchikov often say about Petrushka?
(a) He is ugly.
(b) He smells.
(c) He is stupid.
(d) He has a terrible voice.
14. Why are the townspeople interested in Tchitchikov?
(a) He is rich.
(b) He is new.
(c) He is good looking.
(d) He is strong.
15. What do Tchitchikov's new friends promise to help him do?
(a) Purchase land.
(b) Plant a garden.
(c) Buy more souls.
(d) Find a bride.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are most of the women of N shaped?
2. What talent of the governor's impresses Tchitchikov?
3. What happens to Plyushkin's son?
4. Whom does Tchitchikov tell Nozdroyov he wants to impress?
5. Where is Tchitchikov invited to dine after becoming popular?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)