|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Tchitchikov and Selifan hear while traveling in the rain that makes them realize they have reached a village?
(a) A barking dog.
(b) A meowing cat.
(c) A braying mule.
(d) A singing bird.
2. Whom does Tchitchikov tell Sobakevitch he likes the most of everyone he has met?
(a) The police chief.
(c) The vice-governor.
(d) The governor.
3. Where does Tchitchikov meet with Nozdroyov in Part 1: Chapter 4?
(b) A government function.
(c) In the forest.
(d) A tavern.
4. Why does Manilov sell Tchitchikov his dead souls?
(a) He is afraid of looking stupid.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) His wife tells him to.
(d) He wants to cheat Tchitchikov.
5. How many souls does Tchitchikov have at the start of Part 1, Chapter 7?
6. What happens to Plyushkin's son?
(a) He dies.
(b) He marries down.
(c) He becomes a soldier.
(d) He goes to prison.
7. What piece of furniture is unfinished in Manilov's study?
8. What does Tchitchikov often say about Petrushka?
(a) He is stupid.
(b) He smells.
(c) He has a terrible voice.
(d) He is ugly.
9. What subject is the postmaster interested in?
10. What type of pest does Tchitchikov see on the clock in Plyushkin's house?
(a) A fly.
(b) A spider.
(c) A roach.
(d) An ant.
11. Where is Tchitchikov invited to dine after becoming popular?
(a) At the mayor's.
(b) At the governor's.
(c) At the minister's.
(d) At the police chief's.
12. What is Tchitchikov's first name?
13. What is Plyushkin sad about?
(a) The death of his daughter.
(b) The death of his mother.
(c) Losing his job.
(d) Losing his favorite suit.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 8, why do people become more attracted to Tchitchikov?
(a) They want to find him a girlfriend.
(b) They feel sorry for him.
(c) They find out that he is poor.
(d) They think he is a millionaire.
15. What is the name of the clerk Tchitchikov must speak to in order to complete his transaction?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plyushkin wish he had given Tchitchikov after he leaves?
2. How much does the president believe a good steward costs?
3. What does Madame Korobotcha complain about to Tchitchikov?
4. What is the name of Plyushkin's eldest daughter?
5. How much does Tchitchikov speculate the beautiful young woman's dowry is?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)