Part One: Chapter 1, (pages 5-18)
* Tchitchikov arrives in the town of N. and checks into a hotel.
* Tchitchikov travels with his servants, Selifan and Petrushka.
* Tchitchikov asks one of the servants at the hotel about prominent people in town and how many souls these important men own.
* The servant is quite taken with Tchitchikov and will do whatever he can to please him.
* Tchitchikov spends the next two days viewing different buildings and visiting different important people in the town.
* Tchitchikov is careful to compliment the important people on their standing and profession, and he reveals very little about himself.
* Tchitchikov is very popular in town and is invited to dine at the homes of important people.
* The narrator, who has a personality and agenda of his own, reveals that everyone seems quite enthused about the new collegiate councilor in town.
Part One: Chapter 2 (pages 18-38)
* After a...
This section contains 2,435 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)