• The opening ceremonies for the new school year are held in the stone chapel on the Welton Academy campus.
• Three hundred boys and some parents observe as a procession is lead to the front of the chapel by a an old man in a flowing robe and carrying a candle followed by four students carrying banners.
• The banners have the words: Honor, Discipline, Excellence, and Tradition.
• Bagpipe music plays.
• Gale Nolan, the headmaster welcomes everyone and explains that the candle the old man carries is the “light of knowledge.”
• The year is 1959, the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the school.
• The banners and the words upon them represent the four pillars of the school.
• Four older students stand and explain what each of these pillars mean.
• The new English teacher, John Keating, is introduced.
• A graduate of Welton, he just came from a teaching position...
This section contains 2,787 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)