|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Diz summoned to a small town in Chapter 16?
2. What does Abe tell Alphonse that panics him a little bit?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Erin Cochran is dealing with in the aftermath of Eddie's death?
4. Where is Sam's body found?
5. Where does Alphonse say he was on the night of Eddie Cochran's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might the death of Eddie Cochran teach Dismas about coming to terms with the death of his own infant son?
2. How does the Drug Enforcement Agency or DEA view the case of Eddie's death?
3. Why does Dismas go to the small town of Gonzalez?
4. What personal pain does Dismas come to terms with in Chapter 25 and how does Jane respond?
5. How is Steven beginning to recover and what is his relationship with his parents now?
6. What bit of information does Rose, the rectory housekeeper, find to be out of place when Father Cavanaugh talks with Abe?
7. Why is Frannie having a hard time understanding Eddie's death and her possible role in it?
8. What surprises Abe when he meets Father Cavanaugh?
9. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
10. What feeling does Dismas get that Eddie's death has not been related to a drug deal or trouble at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dismas, Jane, and the Cochrans. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)