|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Alphonse play basketball against on the night of Eddie Cochran's death?
2. Who suspects that Fr. Cavanaugh may be wrong about the last time he met with Eddie Cochran?
3. Arturo Cruz says that Eddie's body was _____________ at Cruz' building.
4. Where does Sam go when he cannot sleep for worrying about the money in his safe?
5. Why is Diz summoned to a small town in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Drug Enforcement Agency or DEA view the case of Eddie's death?
2. Explain the irony of Sam's doing the drug deal to get more money to keep Nika.
3. What feeling does Dismas get that Eddie's death has not been related to a drug deal or trouble at work?
4. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
5. How is Steven beginning to recover and what is his relationship with his parents now?
6. Why do Linda Polk and Alphonse Page go to Sam's office to check the safe?
7. What might the death of Eddie Cochran teach Dismas about coming to terms with the death of his own infant son?
8. Who is Matthew R. Brody III and what information does he give Dismas regarding blackmailing Arturo Cruz?
9. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
10. What are the circumstances of Sam Polk's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book DEAD IRISH? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)