|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rose's job?
2. What was one of the things that Abe and Fr. Cavanaugh tried to accomplish at Berkeley?
3. What is the name of Diz and Jane's son?
4. Who does Diz meet for lunch in Chapter 28?
5. With what type of weapon is Linda killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Arturo Cruz and his knowledge about Eddie Cochran in Chapter 17?
2. Why do Linda Polk and Alphonse Page go to Sam's office to check the safe?
3. What does Arturo Cruz tell Dismas about the night Eddie died and how can he prove that he did not kill him?
4. How does the Drug Enforcement Agency or DEA view the case of Eddie's death?
5. What are the circumstances of Sam Polk's death?
6. What bit of information does Rose, the rectory housekeeper, find to be out of place when Father Cavanaugh talks with Abe?
7. Why is Frannie having a hard time understanding Eddie's death and her possible role in it?
8. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
9. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
10. What personal pain does Dismas come to terms with in Chapter 25 and how does Jane respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Father Cavanaugh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time DEAD IRISH was written in 1989. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards homosexuality in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)