|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what university had Abe and Fr. Cavanaugh met before?
2. Who did Alphonse play basketball against on the night of Eddie Cochran's death?
3. Where does Sam go when he cannot sleep for worrying about the money in his safe?
4. Instead of Sunday night, when does Rose recall Fr. Cavanaugh's last meeting with Eddie Cochran?
5. What favor does Diz do for his friend, Pico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dismas go to the small town of Gonzalez?
2. What advice does Dismas get from his former father-in-law, Judge Fowler, about the case?
3. What personal pain does Dismas come to terms with in Chapter 25 and how does Jane respond?
4. What are the circumstances of Sam Polk's death?
5. What feeling does Dismas get that Eddie's death has not been related to a drug deal or trouble at work?
6. Why do Linda Polk and Alphonse Page go to Sam's office to check the safe?
7. Explain the irony of Sam's doing the drug deal to get more money to keep Nika.
8. Why is Frannie having a hard time understanding Eddie's death and her possible role in it?
9. What does Big Ed share with Dismas about Father Cavanaugh and his place in the Cochran family?
10. Who is Matthew R. Brody III and what information does he give Dismas regarding blackmailing Arturo Cruz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lescroart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Lescroart's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)