|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Alphonse admit during questioning?
2. Who suspects that Fr. Cavanaugh may be wrong about the last time he met with Eddie Cochran?
3. What does Diz tell Frannie that lifts her spirits regarding Eddie's death?
4. What happened to make Diz essentially drop out of his life?
5. At dinner, Diz and Jane talk about their divorce and __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
2. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
3. What advice does Dismas get from his former father-in-law, Judge Fowler, about the case?
4. Dismas meets with Father Cavanaugh and does not realize that the priest reveals a huge piece of information in the case. What is it?
5. What might the death of Eddie Cochran teach Dismas about coming to terms with the death of his own infant son?
6. What feeling does Dismas get that Eddie's death has not been related to a drug deal or trouble at work?
7. What is revealed about Arturo Cruz and his knowledge about Eddie Cochran in Chapter 17?
8. Why do Linda Polk and Alphonse Page go to Sam's office to check the safe?
9. Why does Dismas go to the small town of Gonzalez?
10. Why is Frannie having a hard time understanding Eddie's death and her possible role in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lescroart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)