|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of Sunday night, when does Rose recall Fr. Cavanaugh's last meeting with Eddie Cochran?
2. What does Diz think Eddie Cochran was not capable of?
3. What message does Abe leave on Diz' home answering machine?
4. What does Alphonse leave at the scene of Linda's murder?
5. Where does Sam go when he cannot sleep for worrying about the money in his safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony of Sam's doing the drug deal to get more money to keep Nika.
2. How does Dismas finally know who had made the 911 call reporting Eddie's death?
3. What might the death of Eddie Cochran teach Dismas about coming to terms with the death of his own infant son?
4. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
5. What feeling does Dismas get that Eddie's death has not been related to a drug deal or trouble at work?
6. Dismas meets with Father Cavanaugh and does not realize that the priest reveals a huge piece of information in the case. What is it?
7. Why is Frannie having a hard time understanding Eddie's death and her possible role in it?
8. How does the Drug Enforcement Agency or DEA view the case of Eddie's death?
9. What are the circumstances of Sam Polk's death?
10. Why do Linda Polk and Alphonse Page go to Sam's office to check the safe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dismas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)