|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alphonse waits at the airport to board a plane to ____________.
2. What does Fr. Cavanaugh do when Rose challenges him on the last time he met with Eddie Cochran?
3. What ethnicity is Arturo Cruz?
4. Where does Abe meet with Fr. Cavanaugh?
5. What favor does Diz do for his friend, Pico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Matthew R. Brody III and what information does he give Dismas regarding blackmailing Arturo Cruz?
2. What is revealed about Arturo Cruz and his knowledge about Eddie Cochran in Chapter 17?
3. What are the circumstances of Linda Polk's death?
4. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
5. What personal pain does Dismas come to terms with in Chapter 25 and how does Jane respond?
6. What advice does Dismas get from his former father-in-law, Judge Fowler, about the case?
7. What feeling does Dismas get that Eddie's death has not been related to a drug deal or trouble at work?
8. How does Dismas finally know who had made the 911 call reporting Eddie's death?
9. How has Glitzky's murder case unraveled at this point?
10. What bit of information does Rose, the rectory housekeeper, find to be out of place when Father Cavanaugh talks with Abe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lescroarts is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)