|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the cousin with whom Alphonse is traveling?
2. At dinner, Diz and Jane talk about their divorce and __________________.
3. Why does Abe call Diz in Chapter 26?
4. Where is Sam's body found?
5. Who does Diz blame for his son's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Steven beginning to recover and what is his relationship with his parents now?
2. How does Dismas finally know who had made the 911 call reporting Eddie's death?
3. What are the circumstances of Linda Polk's death?
4. Dismas meets with Father Cavanaugh and does not realize that the priest reveals a huge piece of information in the case. What is it?
5. Why does Dismas go to the small town of Gonzalez?
6. What personal pain does Dismas come to terms with in Chapter 25 and how does Jane respond?
7. What surprises Abe when he meets Father Cavanaugh?
8. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
9. Why is Frannie having a hard time understanding Eddie's death and her possible role in it?
10. What feeling does Dismas get that Eddie's death has not been related to a drug deal or trouble at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dismas, Jane, and the Cochrans. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)