|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Steven think his mother is trying to show him more attention?
2. Why is Diz summoned to a small town in Chapter 16?
3. Who does Diz need to see when he is unable to find the answers in Eddie's death?
4. Whose voice does Diz realize is on the 911 call reporting Eddie's body?
5. Who does Diz meet for lunch in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which murder does Alphonse Page admit to and which can he not be named as a suspect?
2. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
3. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
4. How is Steven beginning to recover and what is his relationship with his parents now?
5. What are the circumstances of Linda Polk's death?
6. What does Arturo Cruz tell Dismas about the night Eddie died and how can he prove that he did not kill him?
7. How does Dismas finally know who had made the 911 call reporting Eddie's death?
8. What advice does Dismas get from his former father-in-law, Judge Fowler, about the case?
9. Who is Matthew R. Brody III and what information does he give Dismas regarding blackmailing Arturo Cruz?
10. Why does Dismas go to the small town of Gonzalez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dismas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in DEAD IRISH. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family of most Irish families living during the late-20th century in America?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)