|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Eddie's younger brother?
2. Why is Sam Polk angry at Eddie Cochran?
3. What is Dismas' current occupation?
4. How old is Linda Polk?
5. Why are Griffin and Glitsky not putting much effort into Eddie's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
2. What does Dismas learn from Linda Polk about the troubles of Army Distributing?
3. Why is Frannie having a hard time understanding Eddie's death and her possible role in it?
4. What were the circumstances of Eddie's murder?
5. Why is Father Cavanaugh's quasi-confession to Dismas so important?
6. What is the dilemma facing the funeral director if Eddie's death is ruled a suicide?
7. What physical evidence does Dismas glean that proves to him that Eddie did not commit suicide?
8. What is the dynamic of the Cochran family as presented after Eddie's death?
9. What is one line of thinking for why Eddie may have killed himself in the parking lot at Arturo Cruz' business?
10. Why does Frannie think that her pregnancy may have been a factor if Eddie did indeed commit suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lescroart uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lescroart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
DEAD IRISH is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,738 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)