|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eddie's mother says that Eddie owned a gun _______________.
2. Which of the following occupations has Dismas NOT had?
3. In what city does Dismas live?
4. What bad habit does Linda Polk have?
5. What is the name of the bar where Dismas works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dismas do after identifying Eddie Cochran's body?
2. What does Moses ask Dismas to do about Eddie's death and what does he offer him in return?
3. Why does Frannie think that her pregnancy may have been a factor if Eddie did indeed commit suicide?
4. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
5. What is the dilemma facing the funeral director if Eddie's death is ruled a suicide?
6. What is Father Cavanaugh's relationship with the Cochran family?
7. How does the medical examiner rule on Eddie's death and what leeway does Abe Glitsky give Dismas regarding the case?
8. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
9. Who is Linda Polk and why does she speak to a man named Alphonse Page at Army Distributing, her father's company?
10. What is the irony of Dismas seeming to come to life again while investigating Eddie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dismas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pico. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Pico's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)