|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the dead man at the ballpark?
2. Why is Sam Polk angry with himself?
3. Whose death does Dismas Hardy investigate?
4. Where does Dismas visit Frannie Cochran?
5. How old is Linda Polk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steven Cochran do when it seems as if Eddie has even eclipsed him in death?
2. What is revealed about Father Cavanaugh's motive for killing Eddie Cochran and his need to commit another murder?
3. What is Father Cavanaugh's relationship with the Cochran family?
4. What physical evidence does Dismas glean that proves to him that Eddie did not commit suicide?
5. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
6. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
7. What is the irony of Dismas seeming to come to life again while investigating Eddie's death?
8. What does Father Cavanaugh tell Dismas about Eddie's concerns about what was going on at Army Distributing?
9. Who is Matthew R. Brody III and what information does he give Dismas regarding blackmailing Arturo Cruz?
10. How does Dismas figure that Father Cavanaugh got the gun with which he killed Eddie?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Abe. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
DEAD IRISH is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time DEAD IRISH was written in 1989. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards homosexuality in both positive and negative ways?
This section contains 1,805 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)