|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the priest that has been a long time friend of the Cochran family?
2. What is the mortuary where Eddie Cochran's body is taken?
3. Who is Eddie Cochran's father?
4. Who had Fr. Cavanaugh encouraged Eddie Cochran to confront regarding the drug deal?
5. How had Sam hoped to get enough money to entice his young wife to stay with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dismas goes to a bar he used to go to frequently years before?
2. What physical evidence does Dismas glean that proves to him that Eddie did not commit suicide?
3. What business problems does Frannie tell Dismas that Eddie was experiencing?
4. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
5. How does the medical examiner rule on Eddie's death and what leeway does Abe Glitsky give Dismas regarding the case?
6. What is the premise of DEAD IRISH?
7. What is one line of thinking for why Eddie may have killed himself in the parking lot at Arturo Cruz' business?
8. Who is Abe Glitsky and how does he know Dismas?
9. What is the irony of Dismas seeming to come to life again while investigating Eddie's death?
10. What does Dismas speculate about Sam's wife, Nika's, possible interest in Eddie Cochran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Abe. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time DEAD IRISH was written in 1989. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards homosexuality in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)