|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman who takes care of the rectory?
2. How had Sam hoped to get enough money to entice his young wife to stay with him?
3. Who calls Diz at The Shamrock wanting to meet to talk?
4. Where was Eddie Cochran's body found?
5. Who is Dismas' boss at the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Linda Polk and why does she speak to a man named Alphonse Page at Army Distributing, her father's company?
2. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
3. What does Dismas speculate about Sam's wife, Nika's, possible interest in Eddie Cochran?
4. What is the nature of Father Cavanaugh's relationship with Eddie Cochran's mother, Erin?
5. What is the dynamic of the Cochran family as presented after Eddie's death?
6. What does Dismas do after identifying Eddie Cochran's body?
7. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
8. Why does Father Cavanaugh think he is responsible for Eddie's death?
9. What does Father Cavanaugh tell Dismas about Eddie's concerns about what was going on at Army Distributing?
10. What is one line of thinking for why Eddie may have killed himself in the parking lot at Arturo Cruz' business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Father Cavanaugh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in DEAD IRISH. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family of most Irish families living during the late-20th century in America?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)