|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dismas' boss at the bar?
2. Whose death does Dismas Hardy investigate?
3. Who is the medical examiner who inspects Eddie's body?
4. Who is the homicide detective assigned to the case at the ballpark?
5. Why does Frannie think that Eddie may have been overwhelmed on the day he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Steven Cochran and how does Dismas try to befriend him?
2. What is Father Cavanaugh's relationship with the Cochran family?
3. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
4. What happens when Dismas goes to a bar he used to go to frequently years before?
5. What does Steven Cochran do when it seems as if Eddie has even eclipsed him in death?
6. How does Dismas get involved in another murder investigation while with Abe?
7. How do the people who cared for Eddie Cochran seem to be managing during the time after his funeral?
8. Who is Linda Polk and why does she speak to a man named Alphonse Page at Army Distributing, her father's company?
9. What does Dismas learn from Linda Polk about the troubles of Army Distributing?
10. What does Dismas surmise about Linda Polk's feelings about her father's new marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Pico. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Pico's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)