|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dismas know Abe?
2. Who is Eddie Cochran's father?
3. What position in the police department is Carl Griffin hoping to get?
4. Who is the dead man at the ballpark?
5. Why are Griffin and Glitsky not putting much effort into Eddie's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical evidence does Dismas glean that proves to him that Eddie did not commit suicide?
2. What does Dismas learn from Linda Polk about the troubles of Army Distributing?
3. Who is Steven Cochran and how does Dismas try to befriend him?
4. What does Steven Cochran do when it seems as if Eddie has even eclipsed him in death?
5. What does Dismas speculate about Sam's wife, Nika's, possible interest in Eddie Cochran?
6. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
7. What happens when Dismas goes to a bar he used to go to frequently years before?
8. What is the dilemma facing the funeral director if Eddie's death is ruled a suicide?
9. What is the nature of Father Cavanaugh's relationship with Eddie Cochran's mother, Erin?
10. Why does Father Cavanaugh think he is responsible for Eddie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dismas, Jane, and the Cochrans. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Greed takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book DEAD IRISH? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)