|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jane's father's profession?
2. What bad habit does Linda Polk have?
3. Who is Carl Griffin's partner?
4. Where was Eddie Cochran's body found?
5. Who is the dead man at the ballpark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dismas learn from Linda Polk about the troubles of Army Distributing?
2. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
3. What does Dismas do after identifying Eddie Cochran's body?
4. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
5. What does Father Cavanaugh tell Dismas about Eddie's concerns about what was going on at Army Distributing?
6. Why is Father Cavanaugh's quasi-confession to Dismas so important?
7. What is Father Cavanaugh's relationship with the Cochran family?
8. What is the nature of Father Cavanaugh's relationship with Eddie Cochran's mother, Erin?
9. What is the premise of DEAD IRISH?
10. Who is Linda Polk and why does she speak to a man named Alphonse Page at Army Distributing, her father's company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dismas, Jane, and the Cochrans. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Father Cavanaugh. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in DEAD IRISH. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family of most Irish families living during the late-20th century in America?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)