|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it bad for Eddie's death to be ruled a suicide?
2. Who is Dismas' friend?
3. Who is the priest that has been a long time friend of the Cochran family?
4. Who is the dead man at the ballpark?
5. What does Glitsky hope Dismas will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Abe Glitsky and how does he know Dismas?
2. What does Dismas speculate about Sam's wife, Nika's, possible interest in Eddie Cochran?
3. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
4. What is the premise of DEAD IRISH?
5. What does Dismas learn from Linda Polk about the troubles of Army Distributing?
6. Who is Linda Polk and why does she speak to a man named Alphonse Page at Army Distributing, her father's company?
7. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
8. What does Moses ask Dismas to do about Eddie's death and what does he offer him in return?
9. Why is Father Cavanaugh's quasi-confession to Dismas so important?
10. Why does Frannie think that her pregnancy may have been a factor if Eddie did indeed commit suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dismas. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in DEAD IRISH. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family of most Irish families living during the late-20th century in America?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)