|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following had Fr. Cavanaugh NOT taken into consideration when sending Eddie to do the right thing regarding the drug deal?
2. How had Sam hoped to get enough money to entice his young wife to stay with him?
3. How old is Dismas Hardy?
4. Eddie's mother says that Eddie owned a gun _______________.
5. Where was the fatal gunshot on Eddie's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
2. Why do Linda Polk and Alphonse Page go to Sam's office to check the safe?
3. What is revealed about Arturo Cruz and his knowledge about Eddie Cochran in Chapter 17?
4. What surprises Abe when he meets Father Cavanaugh?
5. What does Big Ed share with Dismas about Father Cavanaugh and his place in the Cochran family?
6. What advice does Dismas get from his former father-in-law, Judge Fowler, about the case?
7. How is Steven beginning to recover and what is his relationship with his parents now?
8. What is one line of thinking for why Eddie may have killed himself in the parking lot at Arturo Cruz' business?
9. What is the nature of Father Cavanaugh's relationship with Eddie Cochran's mother, Erin?
10. Who is Steven Cochran and how does Dismas try to befriend him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dismas, Jane, and the Cochrans. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality that still existed at the time DEAD IRISH was written in 1989. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the late 20th century to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred concerning the social attitude towards homosexuality in both positive and negative ways?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,824 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)