|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in DEAD IRISH?
2. What position in the police department is Carl Griffin hoping to get?
3. How does Dismas know Eddie Cochran?
4. Why does Dismas think Nika married Sam?
5. Who is Sam Polk's new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Arturo Cruz' reasons for lying to the police about his knowledge of Eddie's death?
2. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
3. What bit of information does Rose, the rectory housekeeper, find to be out of place when Father Cavanaugh talks with Abe?
4. Who is Abe Glitsky and how does he know Dismas?
5. What were the circumstances of Eddie's murder?
6. Why does Dismas go to the small town of Gonzalez?
7. Why do Linda Polk and Alphonse Page go to Sam's office to check the safe?
8. Why is Father Cavanaugh's quasi-confession to Dismas so important?
9. How do the people who cared for Eddie Cochran seem to be managing during the time after his funeral?
10. What are the circumstances of Rose's death?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,814 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)