|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the dead man at the ballpark?
2. Why is Sam Polk angry with himself?
3. Whose death does Dismas Hardy investigate?
4. Where does Dismas visit Frannie Cochran?
5. How old is Linda Polk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steven Cochran do when it seems as if Eddie has even eclipsed him in death?
2. What is revealed about Father Cavanaugh's motive for killing Eddie Cochran and his need to commit another murder?
3. What is Father Cavanaugh's relationship with the Cochran family?
4. What physical evidence does Dismas glean that proves to him that Eddie did not commit suicide?
5. Why is Abe Glitsky intrigued to meet with Father Cavanaugh in Chapter 21?
6. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
7. What is the irony of Dismas seeming to come to life again while investigating Eddie's death?
8. What does Father Cavanaugh tell Dismas about Eddie's concerns about what was going on at Army Distributing?
9. Who is Matthew R. Brody III and what information does he give Dismas regarding blackmailing Arturo Cruz?
10. How does Dismas figure that Father Cavanaugh got the gun with which he killed Eddie?
Essay Topic 1
DEAD IRISH is a modern-day mystery story. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pico. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Pico's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,805 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)