|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Diz unexpectedly run into at Schroeder's?
2. When Steven plans to run away he takes with him Diz' business card and ________________.
3. Who is the homicide detective assigned to the case at the ballpark?
4. Why does Frannie think that Eddie may have been overwhelmed on the day he died?
5. Who is Alphonse Page?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of DEAD IRISH?
2. Why does Father Cavanaugh think he is responsible for Eddie's death?
3. What is the nature of Father Cavanaugh's relationship with Eddie Cochran's mother, Erin?
4. Why is Father Cavanaugh's quasi-confession to Dismas so important?
5. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
6. What does Dismas do after identifying Eddie Cochran's body?
7. What is the dynamic of the Cochran family as presented after Eddie's death?
8. Who is Linda Polk and why does she speak to a man named Alphonse Page at Army Distributing, her father's company?
9. What does Dismas speculate about Sam's wife, Nika's, possible interest in Eddie Cochran?
10. What does Father Cavanaugh tell Dismas about Eddie's concerns about what was going on at Army Distributing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lescroarts is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book DEAD IRISH? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Lescroart uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)