|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sam Polk's daughter?
2. Where does Dismas attend a ballgame?
3. Who is Sam Polk's daughter?
4. Why does Dismas not believe that Eddie killed himself?
5. Who is the woman who takes care of the rectory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Cavanaugh tell Dismas about Eddie's concerns about what was going on at Army Distributing?
2. What does Dismas do after identifying Eddie Cochran's body?
3. Who is Abe Glitsky and how does he know Dismas?
4. What physical evidence does Dismas glean that proves to him that Eddie did not commit suicide?
5. What is the nature of Father Cavanaugh's relationship with Eddie Cochran's mother, Erin?
6. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
7. Why does Father Cavanaugh think he is responsible for Eddie's death?
8. What does Dismas speculate about Sam's wife, Nika's, possible interest in Eddie Cochran?
9. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
10. What happens when Dismas goes to a bar he used to go to frequently years before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lescroart uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lescroart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)