|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Diz unexpectedly run into at Schroeder's?
2. Where does Dismas visit Frannie Cochran?
3. Who is the woman who takes care of the rectory?
4. What position in the police department is Carl Griffin hoping to get?
5. Which of the following occupations has Dismas NOT had?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Linda Polk and why does she speak to a man named Alphonse Page at Army Distributing, her father's company?
2. What is the dilemma facing the funeral director if Eddie's death is ruled a suicide?
3. Who is Abe Glitsky and how does he know Dismas?
4. What is the dynamic of the Cochran family as presented after Eddie's death?
5. What does Steven Cochran do when it seems as if Eddie has even eclipsed him in death?
6. What is Father Cavanaugh's relationship with the Cochran family?
7. What does Moses ask Dismas to do about Eddie's death and what does he offer him in return?
8. Why does Frannie think that her pregnancy may have been a factor if Eddie did indeed commit suicide?
9. Why does Father Cavanaugh think he is responsible for Eddie's death?
10. What does Dismas surmise about Linda Polk's feelings about her father's new marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Lescroart's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Lescroart use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)