|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alphonse Page?
2. Why does Frannie think that Eddie may have been overwhelmed on the day he died?
3. Who calls Diz at The Shamrock wanting to meet to talk?
4. Who is Sam Polk's daughter?
5. What can Fr. Cavanaugh not allow if Eddie had committed suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dismas surmise about Linda Polk's feelings about her father's new marriage?
2. What is the nature of Father Cavanaugh's relationship with Eddie Cochran's mother, Erin?
3. Who is Dismas Hardy and what is the state of his life as the novel begins?
4. What tragedy occurs when Dismas goes to the Giants game at Candlestick Park?
5. Who is Abe Glitsky and how does he know Dismas?
6. What does Dismas do after identifying Eddie Cochran's body?
7. How does Dismas get involved in another murder investigation while with Abe?
8. What is the irony of Dismas seeming to come to life again while investigating Eddie's death?
9. Who is Steven Cochran and how does Dismas try to befriend him?
10. How do the people who cared for Eddie Cochran seem to be managing during the time after his funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of greed. Identify at least two themes about greed in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)