|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luther say black Christians pray for?
2. Why is Malcolm led away by the prison guards?
3. What is Hinton's condition in the jail?
4. What is Malcolm's response when the police tell them to return in the morning?
5. What is the symbolism of the boy entering the large white hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the white policemen arrive at the fight?
2. Who gets beaten badly although he had nothing to do with the original fight?
3. Who sees the potential in Malcolm and gives him good advice?
4. What life-changing information does Malcolm finally receive from Luther?
5. After Malcolm follows Luther out of prison, where does he go?
6. What further instruction does Luther give Malcolm?
7. Why are Luther, Sidney, and Malcolm waiting outside a classroom one day?
8. What does Luther tell Malcolm about?
9. How does Luther continue to influence Malcolm in prison?
10. Who calls Malcolm to the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on How I Believe Democracy works. Using Malcolm as an example of someone profiting from the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, discuss how it is possible for many people to have opposing views in a democracy. Describe other regimes where such a privilege is not possible.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Being Careful About Friendships. Start with how Malcolm thought Luther and the Leader were his friends only to learn of their jealousy and danger to him and his family. Go to Sidney who was his friend as long as he held to the militant line. Then cover how the masses who once cheered him on, turned against his new message of conciliation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on The Role of Religion in Race Relations. Contrast the racist Christian community with the backlash racism that came from the Black Muslim culture. Is there any difference? End your essay with comments on how religion should play a role in uniting people rather than creating a great divide.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)