|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura say she will never go to Malcolm's Temple?
2. Who wants to meet Malcolm now that he is out of prison?
3. What does Luther have to say about what Malcolm does to his hair?
4. What does Laura say she needs from Malcolm?
5. Why is Malcolm led away by the prison guards?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Malcolm meet at the subway later one night?
2. What happens when the white policemen arrive at the fight?
3. Who are Betty's students in the class?
4. How does Luther continue to influence Malcolm in prison?
5. Who gets beaten badly although he had nothing to do with the original fight?
6. What is the result of Malcolm's taking the group of ministers to the jail?
7. As the second part opens, what is happening to Malcolm?
8. What is the significance of Malcolm's attempts to straighten his hair, according to Luther?
9. What does Malcolm, now a Muslim minister, organize after the riot in Harlem?
10. What life-changing information does Malcolm finally receive from Luther?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages No Honor Among Thieves. Use the association between Malcolm and West Indian Archie as an example of how criminals do not trust other criminals. Broaden the discussion into the problem of trusting other people when one is not trustworthy himself. Explain why a liar always thinks other people are lying, too.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Visual Arts as a Way of Telling a Story. Using Alex Baldwin's scenario, show how the story is moved along and made clear by the use of various visual flashbacks rather than pages of dialog. Give specific examples describing what message of those visuals convey.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on The Role of Religion in Race Relations. Contrast the racist Christian community with the backlash racism that came from the Black Muslim culture. Is there any difference? End your essay with comments on how religion should play a role in uniting people rather than creating a great divide.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)