|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lorraine think it is strange that Malcolm met her husband, Luther, in prison?
2. What is the symbolism of the new glasses and a pawnshop watch lying on a towel?
3. Who is Laura's old man?
4. What is Luther's first advice to get Malcolm out of prison?
5. Why is Malcolm led away by the prison guards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What quickly becomes clear about Luther's son, Sidney?
2. Who does Malcolm meet at the subway later one night?
3. What is the significance of Malcolm's attempts to straighten his hair, according to Luther?
4. What life-changing information does Malcolm finally receive from Luther?
5. What does Malcolm, now a Muslim minister, organize after the riot in Harlem?
6. Who sees the potential in Malcolm and gives him good advice?
7. Who calls Malcolm to the scene?
8. What is the result of Malcolm's taking the group of ministers to the jail?
9. Who gets beaten badly although he had nothing to do with the original fight?
10. Why are Luther, Sidney, and Malcolm waiting outside a classroom one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Being Careful About Friendships. Start with how Malcolm thought Luther and the Leader were his friends only to learn of their jealousy and danger to him and his family. Go to Sidney who was his friend as long as he held to the militant line. Then cover how the masses who once cheered him on, turned against his new message of conciliation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Mistaken Generalizations. Point out in your essay how the idea of the white devil translated into hate for the entire race of white people. Discuss how the same is true in reverse. Make a case for judging people by their actions rather than their ethnicity.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages comparing the burning of Malcolm's childhood home and the Molotov cocktail thrown into Malcolm's home just before he is assassinated. Note how the racist feelings on both sides are similar in nature. Discuss the irony of the situation.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)