|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Laura use to describe her condition?
2. What is the symbolism of the boy entering the large white hotel?
3. Why is Malcolm led away by the prison guards?
4. What does Luther accuse Malcolm of spending his life doing?
5. Who does Malcolm tell Sidney to call when he reports the mob on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What further instruction does Luther give Malcolm?
2. What happens when the white policemen arrive at the fight?
3. What does Malcolm, now a Muslim minister, organize after the riot in Harlem?
4. Who sees the potential in Malcolm and gives him good advice?
5. What does Luther tell Malcolm about?
6. Describe the abrupt change of scene from the meeting with Betty outside her classroom.
7. Who does Malcolm meet at the subway later one night?
8. What does Malcolm discover when he gets to the scene of the fight?
9. What is the result of Malcolm's taking the group of ministers to the jail?
10. After Malcolm follows Luther out of prison, where does he go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on What People Pray For. Refer to Luther's comment that black people pray to have in heaven what white people have on Earth. Discuss the materialism in such prayers. Examine how the statement is a generalization that does not consider what white people pray for. Finally, discuss how prayer for supremacy and oppression amounts only to mere words.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Following Your Dream. Begin with Malcolm's blandly accepting Mr. Ostrovski's pronouncement that black people cannot become lawyers. Point out that he did not get that same advice from Mrs. Swerlin. After the examples, personalize the essay for yourself and people in general who are determined to follow a dream.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on How Things Have Changed Since Malcolm X. Include such things as the civil rights movement led by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the rise of political figures such as Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice, and Andrew Young. Conclude with the election of President Barak Obama.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)