|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm say when the policeman says bloodshed never solved anything?
2. What course is Miss Betty teaching when Luther, Malcolm, and Sidney eavesdrop?
3. Why does Laura say she will never go to Malcolm's Temple?
4. What metaphor does Laura use to describe her condition?
5. What is the metaphor of the wolves, rats, and swine in Luther's recounting of his brother's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gets beaten badly although he had nothing to do with the original fight?
2. What does Malcolm discover when he gets to the scene of the fight?
3. Who calls Malcolm to the scene?
4. After Malcolm follows Luther out of prison, where does he go?
5. What does Luther tell Malcolm about?
6. What happens when the white policemen arrive at the fight?
7. What does Malcolm, now a Muslim minister, organize after the riot in Harlem?
8. Who sees the potential in Malcolm and gives him good advice?
9. How does Malcolm show his humility after becoming a Muslim minister?
10. Who does Malcolm meet at the subway later one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double spaced pages on How Terrorist Klan Activity Affected Malcolm X. In the essay refer to the threats and eventually burning of his family home gave Malcolm his first impressions of surviving in a white world. Include the murder of his father and the lame excuses the insurance company gave for not honoring Earl's policy. Conclude by speculating how such violence can only be expected to breed hatred and fear.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on The Role of Religion in Race Relations. Contrast the racist Christian community with the backlash racism that came from the Black Muslim culture. Is there any difference? End your essay with comments on how religion should play a role in uniting people rather than creating a great divide.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages comparing the burning of Malcolm's childhood home and the Molotov cocktail thrown into Malcolm's home just before he is assassinated. Note how the racist feelings on both sides are similar in nature. Discuss the irony of the situation.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)