|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
2. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
3. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
4. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
5. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
2. In another flashback, how does Malcolm see himself as a prisoner?
3. What are the two religious books where Malcolm's name is written?
4. What is the scene where the character of Laura is introduced?
5. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
6. When the radio announces that Malcolm X will speak at the Audubon Ballroom, what does the viewer learn?
7. What stands in the way of Malcolm's marrying Laura?
8. What comes out to explain Louise's fair complexion?
9. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
10. What are the three areas of Malcolm's life represented in the scenario?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double spaced pages on How Terrorist Klan Activity Affected Malcolm X. In the essay refer to the threats and eventually burning of his family home gave Malcolm his first impressions of surviving in a white world. Include the murder of his father and the lame excuses the insurance company gave for not honoring Earl's policy. Conclude by speculating how such violence can only be expected to breed hatred and fear.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Following Your Dream. Begin with Malcolm's blandly accepting Mr. Ostrovski's pronouncement that black people cannot become lawyers. Point out that he did not get that same advice from Mrs. Swerlin. After the examples, personalize the essay for yourself and people in general who are determined to follow a dream.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on The Role of Religion in Race Relations. Contrast the racist Christian community with the backlash racism that came from the Black Muslim culture. Is there any difference? End your essay with comments on how religion should play a role in uniting people rather than creating a great divide.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)