|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
2. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
3. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
4. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
5. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Malcolm's ambition after he finishes high school?
2. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
3. What stands in the way of Malcolm's marrying Laura?
4. What is the scene where the character of Laura is introduced?
5. When the radio announces that Malcolm X will speak at the Audubon Ballroom, what does the viewer learn?
6. What are the three areas of Malcolm's life represented in the scenario?
7. Who does Louise Little, Malcolm's mother, have to confront in the back yard of her house?
8. What image does the sight of a blonde woman crossing the street arouse in Malcolm?
9. What does Malcolm muse about as he thinks about his past?
10. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on What Malcolm Might Have Said. From indications in the scenario, find two or three points that Malcolm might have intended to cover in his Audubon Ballroom speech. Discuss each point in detail, giving examples from the scenario.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Visual Arts as a Way of Telling a Story. Using Alex Baldwin's scenario, show how the story is moved along and made clear by the use of various visual flashbacks rather than pages of dialog. Give specific examples describing what message of those visuals convey.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Mistaken Generalizations. Point out in your essay how the idea of the white devil translated into hate for the entire race of white people. Discuss how the same is true in reverse. Make a case for judging people by their actions rather than their ethnicity.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)