|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
2. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
3. Where is Louise seen telling someone not to feed that boy no pig?
4. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
5. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comes out to explain Louise's fair complexion?
2. In another flashback, how does Malcolm see himself as a prisoner?
3. Where did Alex Baldwin get the material to write the scenario?
4. What event does Malcolm remember as he watches people on the streets?
5. How does Malcolm recall his father?
6. What is Malcolm's ambition after he finishes high school?
7. Who does Louise Little, Malcolm's mother, have to confront in the back yard of her house?
8. What does Malcolm muse about as he thinks about his past?
9. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
10. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Mistaken Generalizations. Point out in your essay how the idea of the white devil translated into hate for the entire race of white people. Discuss how the same is true in reverse. Make a case for judging people by their actions rather than their ethnicity.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages No Honor Among Thieves. Use the association between Malcolm and West Indian Archie as an example of how criminals do not trust other criminals. Broaden the discussion into the problem of trusting other people when one is not trustworthy himself. Explain why a liar always thinks other people are lying, too.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on How I Believe Democracy works. Using Malcolm as an example of someone profiting from the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, discuss how it is possible for many people to have opposing views in a democracy. Describe other regimes where such a privilege is not possible.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)