|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sophia?
2. What thoughtless remark does Judge Merritt make about black people?
3. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
4. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
5. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stands in the way of Malcolm's marrying Laura?
2. What are the three areas of Malcolm's life represented in the scenario?
3. What does Malcolm muse about as he thinks about his past?
4. In another flashback, how does Malcolm see himself as a prisoner?
5. What are the two religious books where Malcolm's name is written?
6. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
7. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
8. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
9. How does Malcolm recall his father?
10. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on The Motivation of Malcolm X. The main points are (1) fear of white oppression in his youth, (2) anger at the years of slavery and subservience of the black people, (3) acceptance of Luther's idea of the black nation, and (4) delivering a conciliatory message after his trip to Mecca. In all of this, show what his motivation is and what it is not.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Charisma. Begin your essay with Mrs. Swerlin's explanation that people like to be around Malcolm and the reasons she gives. Move to the early days within the movement and why many people followed Malcolm as a militant leader. Conclude with how Malcolm's charisma did not overcome the resentment of his followers after he changed his attitude toward people of other elasticities.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Mistaken Generalizations. Point out in your essay how the idea of the white devil translated into hate for the entire race of white people. Discuss how the same is true in reverse. Make a case for judging people by their actions rather than their ethnicity.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)