|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
2. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
3. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
4. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
5. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Malcolm's ambition after he finishes high school?
2. Who does Louise Little, Malcolm's mother, have to confront in the back yard of her house?
3. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
4. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
5. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
6. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
7. When the radio announces that Malcolm X will speak at the Audubon Ballroom, what does the viewer learn?
8. What is the scene where the character of Laura is introduced?
9. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
10. How does Malcolm recall his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double spaced pages on How Terrorist Klan Activity Affected Malcolm X. In the essay refer to the threats and eventually burning of his family home gave Malcolm his first impressions of surviving in a white world. Include the murder of his father and the lame excuses the insurance company gave for not honoring Earl's policy. Conclude by speculating how such violence can only be expected to breed hatred and fear.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Prejudice. Using the Movement as an example and the early militancy of Malcolm, discuss how prejudice causes people to make wrong decisions, not to listen to opposing ideas, and generalizations that are transferred wrongly onto individuals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Reevaluating First Impressions. Using Malcolm X as your example, discuss (1) the first impression most white people had about Malcolm X, (2) the changes that took place in his thinking, and (3) the reason most people did not recognize the changes. Apply that example to a discussion of why first impressions are not always reliable but are difficult to change.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)