|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
2. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
3. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
4. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
5. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
Short Essay Questions
1. In another flashback, how does Malcolm see himself as a prisoner?
2. What are the three areas of Malcolm's life represented in the scenario?
3. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
4. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
5. What event does Malcolm remember as he watches people on the streets?
6. What are the two religious books where Malcolm's name is written?
7. Who does Louise Little, Malcolm's mother, have to confront in the back yard of her house?
8. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
9. What image does the sight of a blonde woman crossing the street arouse in Malcolm?
10. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Being Careful About Friendships. Start with how Malcolm thought Luther and the Leader were his friends only to learn of their jealousy and danger to him and his family. Go to Sidney who was his friend as long as he held to the militant line. Then cover how the masses who once cheered him on, turned against his new message of conciliation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on How I Believe Democracy works. Using Malcolm as an example of someone profiting from the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, discuss how it is possible for many people to have opposing views in a democracy. Describe other regimes where such a privilege is not possible.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of two or more typed, double-spaced pages on Reevaluating First Impressions. Using Malcolm X as your example, discuss (1) the first impression most white people had about Malcolm X, (2) the changes that took place in his thinking, and (3) the reason most people did not recognize the changes. Apply that example to a discussion of why first impressions are not always reliable but are difficult to change.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)