|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(b) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
(c) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
(d) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
2. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
(a) the Welfare Society.
(b) her white neighbors.
(c) the Sheriff.
(d) the Ku Klux Klan.
3. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
(a) because she is afraid.
(b) because she is cold.
(c) because Malcolm's hand is cold.
(d) because Malcolm is touching her.
4. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say his policy was lost.
(b) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(c) they say he missed the last payment.
(d) they say he committed suicide
5. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
(a) I have had so many names.
(b) I have names given by God.
(c) My name is Legion.
(d) I have no name really.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
2. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
3. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
4. What do the Klan members accuse Earl of doing?
5. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Malcolm's ambition after he finishes high school?
2. How does Malcolm recall his father?
3. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
4. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
5. Who does Louise Little, Malcolm's mother, have to confront in the back yard of her house?
6. When the radio announces that Malcolm X will speak at the Audubon Ballroom, what does the viewer learn?
7. What image does the sight of a blonde woman crossing the street arouse in Malcolm?
8. Where did Alex Baldwin get the material to write the scenario?
9. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
10. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)