|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(b) he is trying to make her forget him.
(c) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(d) he doesn't know what to say to her.
2. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
(a) he tells him he cannot be Class President.
(b) he reports everything to the police.
(c) he reminds Malcolm that he is a black boy.
(d) he tells him he cannot become a lawyer.
3. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
(b) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(c) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(d) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
4. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's grandmother.
(b) Malcolm's white lover.
(c) Malcolm's sister.
(d) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
5. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
(a) My name is Legion.
(b) I have names given by God.
(c) I have had so many names.
(d) I have no name really.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prophetic dream does Malcolm tell Laura he used to have?
2. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
3. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
4. What happens to Earl Little?
5. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. In another flashback, how does Malcolm see himself as a prisoner?
2. What event does Malcolm remember as he watches people on the streets?
3. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
4. How does Malcolm recall his father?
5. Who does Louise Little, Malcolm's mother, have to confront in the back yard of her house?
6. What image does the sight of a blonde woman crossing the street arouse in Malcolm?
7. What are the three areas of Malcolm's life represented in the scenario?
8. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
9. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
10. What is the scene where the character of Laura is introduced?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)