|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Archie outfit Malcolm with new clothes?
(a) with cash he made running numbers.
(b) on his credit card.
(c) from a closet of stolen goods.
(d) borrowing from a friend about Malcolm's size.
2. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because he works there.
(b) because no one sees him sneak in.
(c) because he knows the owner.
(d) because he is big for his age.
3. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(b) when he reads the customers' meters
(c) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(d) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
4. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) Louise has a miscarriage.
(b) the Klan burns down their house.
(c) a storm arises.
(d) Earl is shot in his bed.
5. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(b) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(c) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
(d) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
2. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
3. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
4. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
5. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
2. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
3. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
4. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
5. Where did Alex Baldwin get the material to write the scenario?
6. In another flashback, how does Malcolm see himself as a prisoner?
7. What is Malcolm's ambition after he finishes high school?
8. What is the scene where the character of Laura is introduced?
9. What image does the sight of a blonde woman crossing the street arouse in Malcolm?
10. What event does Malcolm remember as he watches people on the streets?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)