|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) becoming a pimp.
(b) selling daily newspapers.
(c) as a porter at the train station.
(d) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
2. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
(a) she feels superior to other blacks.
(b) she wishes she were blacker than Earl.
(c) she feels superior to Earl.
(d) she wishes she had married a white man.
3. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
(b) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(c) they have been threatened by the Klan.
(d) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
4. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
(a) turning out lawyers to become judges.
(b) turning out lawyers to defend the Constitution.
(c) turning out lawyers to keep black people in jail.
(d) turning out lawyers to defend black people.
5. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
(a) his hands were tied behind him.
(b) his knees were shattered.
(c) a stab wound in his back.
(d) a hammer blow to the back of his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
2. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
3. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
4. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
5. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
2. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
3. Where did Alex Baldwin get the material to write the scenario?
4. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
5. What are the three areas of Malcolm's life represented in the scenario?
6. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
7. Who does Louise Little, Malcolm's mother, have to confront in the back yard of her house?
8. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
9. What does Malcolm muse about as he thinks about his past?
10. How does Malcolm recall his father?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)