|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
(b) she babysits their small children.
(c) she walks their dogs.
(d) she washes their windows every Saturday.
2. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he is trying to make her forget him.
(b) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(c) he doesn't know what to say to her.
(d) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
3. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
(a) that she is proud of her black culture.
(b) that she is proof blacks and whites can get along.
(c) that she is more whte than they are.
(d) that she might be their daughter or sister.
4. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
(a) that his mother attempted suicide.
(b) that he will still have to serve out his sentence.
(c) that he will not have to go to the reform school.
(d) that he will have two more years of probation.
5. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
(a) the Klan will go after someone else.
(b) they won't have any income.
(c) God will help them find a better place.
(d) it will be the same wherever they go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
2. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
3. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
4. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
5. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
2. When the radio announces that Malcolm X will speak at the Audubon Ballroom, what does the viewer learn?
3. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
4. What is Malcolm's ambition after he finishes high school?
5. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
6. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
7. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
8. What comes out to explain Louise's fair complexion?
9. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
10. Where did Alex Baldwin get the material to write the scenario?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)