|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
2. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
(a) he says he's in banking because he opens doors for customers.
(b) he says he is in banking because he shines shoes there.
(c) he says he is in banking because he mops the floors.
(d) he says he is in banking because he has a bank account.
3. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(b) not to make friends with bad people.
(c) not to expect too much from your friends.
(d) not to make friends with people others do not like.
4. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
(a) he reminds Malcolm that he is a black boy.
(b) he reports everything to the police.
(c) he tells him he cannot become a lawyer.
(d) he tells him he cannot be Class President.
5. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
(b) becoming a pimp.
(c) selling daily newspapers.
(d) as a porter at the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
2. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
3. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
4. What happens to Earl Little?
5. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comes out to explain Louise's fair complexion?
2. What event does Malcolm remember as he watches people on the streets?
3. What image does the sight of a blonde woman crossing the street arouse in Malcolm?
4. What are the three areas of Malcolm's life represented in the scenario?
5. What stands in the way of Malcolm's marrying Laura?
6. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
7. What dramatic technique does Baldwin use to set up the background of the movie?
8. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
9. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
10. What is the Klan's warning to Louise?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)