|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he reads the customers' meters
(b) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(c) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(d) when he goes in to pay his bill.
2. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(b) West Indies Archie.
3. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
(a) delivering papers and cleaning stables.
(b) chopping wood and washing dishes.
(c) picking cotton and baling hay.
(d) shining shoes and carrying luggage.
4. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
(a) to attempt suicide.
(b) to show he is not afraid to die.
(c) to put on a show for his friends.
(d) to scare people into doing his will.
5. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) the fire is too hot to get near.
(b) they are all white.
(c) the house is too far gone to save.
(d) there are explosions going on inside the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
2. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
3. What happens to Earl Little?
4. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
5. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Malcolm's change of heart received by militant blacks?
2. What is the practical advice Betty gives to Malcolm?
3. What does Malcolm discover when he gets to the scene of the fight?
4. How has Luther changed since training Malcolm in prison?
5. What are the two religious books where Malcolm's name is written?
6. When Malcolm is censored by the Movement, what does he decide to do?
7. Who gets beaten badly although he had nothing to do with the original fight?
8. Why are Luther, Sidney, and Malcolm waiting outside a classroom one day?
9. Describe the abrupt change of scene from the meeting with Betty outside her classroom.
10. How soon are Malcolm and Betty parted?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)