|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because he knows the owner.
(b) because he is big for his age.
(c) because he works there.
(d) because no one sees him sneak in.
2. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
(a) delivering papers and cleaning stables.
(b) shining shoes and carrying luggage.
(c) chopping wood and washing dishes.
(d) picking cotton and baling hay.
3. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) the Audubon Ballroom.
(b) Madison Square Garden.
(c) Yankee Stadium.
(d) Times Square.
4. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) Earl is shot in his bed.
(b) a storm arises.
(c) Louise has a miscarriage.
(d) the Klan burns down their house.
5. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images on the car windshield.
(b) images in the rearview mirror.
(c) images in the windows of building.
(d) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
2. What name is Malcolm given in Dakar?
3. Where is Louise seen telling someone not to feed that boy no pig?
4. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
5. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Unable to pursue his dream, what happens to Malcolm?
2. What image does the sight of a blonde woman crossing the street arouse in Malcolm?
3. What does Malcolm muse about as he thinks about his past?
4. In another flashback, how does Malcolm see himself as a prisoner?
5. When the radio announces that Malcolm X will speak at the Audubon Ballroom, what does the viewer learn?
6. Whose voice do the viewers hear saying, "Brothers, sisters, this is not our home! Our homeland is in Africa! In Africa!"
7. What stands in the way of Malcolm's marrying Laura?
8. After his father is murdered and his mother placed in an asylum, what happens to Malcolm?
9. What is the opening sequence in the screenplay?
10. What is Malcolm's ambition after he finishes high school?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)