|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the new glasses and a pawnshop watch lying on a towel?
(a) it symbolizes time and infinity.
(b) it symbolizes good versus evil.
(c) it symbolizes Malcolm's release from prison.
(d) it symbolizes clean thought and clear vision.
2. What does Luther tell Malcolm before he leaves the prison?
(a) when you come out, come straight to me.
(b) I'll get you a better lawyer.
(c) write me a letter sometime.
(d) keep your nose clean.
3. What is the metaphor of the wolves, rats, and swine in Luther's recounting of his brother's murder?
(a) the white people who killed him.
(b) the conflict of society.
(c) a sign from a black God.
(d) the uncleaness of his brother.
4. What does Laura say she did for Daniel?
(a) bought drugs for him.
(b) nursed him through sickness.
(c) turned tricks.
(d) cooked his meals.
5. What does Malcolm say when the policeman says bloodshed never solved anything?
(a) he says it did when the blood was ours.
(b) he says why not find out?
(c) he says it might solves something now.
(d) he says it could, given a chance.
6. What is it West Indian Archie cannot remember when Malcolm goes for a visit?
(a) where Archie met Malcolm.
(b) why people call Malcolm Red.
(c) who told him about Malcolm's being in prison.
(d) who introduced them the first time.
7. Who is Laura's old man?
(a) a lesbian lover.
(b) a pimp.
(c) her second husband.
(d) an escaped convict.
8. Who lights Malcolm's cigarette when his hand is bandaged?
(b) a prison guard.
9. What does Malcolm think about Luther's hype?
(a) it must be a way to control him.
(b) it must be some kind of test for him.
(c) it must be good because Luther is never wrong.
(d) it must be something metaphysical.
10. Why is Malcolm led away by the prison guards?
(a) for playing the numbers.
(b) for fighting.
(c) for not working.
(d) for cursing.
11. What does Laura want instead of coffee?
(a) a glass of milk.
(b) just to talk.
(c) a drink.
(d) something to eat.
12. Over what does Malcolm challenge the Sunday Bible Teacher?
(a) whether Jesus was nothing more than a prophet.
(b) whether Jesus was white.
(c) whether Jesus actually lived.
(d) whether Jesus actually raised from the dead.
13. What does Malcolm say Luther is the first to do in the prison?
(a) figure out his problem.
(b) light his cigarette.
(c) call him by his name.
(d) give him advice.
14. How does Laura say Malcolm could have saved her once?
(a) by showing her a better way.
(b) by keeping her away from Daniel.
(c) by marrying her.
(d) by helping her finish school.
15. What does Sidney witness on the streets as he delivers his papers?
(a) a Muslim minister preaching on the corner.
(b) a fist fight between two black men.
(c) a gunfight between two blacks.
(d) a fist fight between a white man and a black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm say the Leader's letters did for him in prison?
2. What is the symbolism of the boy entering the large white hotel?
3. Who wants to meet Malcolm now that he is out of prison?
4. What does Malcolm say he feels like when he walks the streets of Harlem?
5. Who is Sidney?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)