|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the police station the night Hinton is beaten, what is the symbolism of the Muslim ministers?
(a) they symbolize the ability to hold the mob back.
(b) they symbolize the antithesis of the Ku Klux Klan.
(c) they symbolize a new age.
(d) they symbolize new power.
2. Who lights Malcolm's cigarette when his hand is bandaged?
(c) a prison guard.
3. When does Lorraine say she became a member of the Movement?
(a) when Luther went to prison.
(b) soon after sydney was born.
(c) right after Luther came home.
(d) when she was sixteen-years-old.
4. What is the symbolism of the new glasses and a pawnshop watch lying on a towel?
(a) it symbolizes clean thought and clear vision.
(b) it symbolizes time and infinity.
(c) it symbolizes good versus evil.
(d) it symbolizes Malcolm's release from prison.
5. What is the metaphor of the wolves, rats, and swine in Luther's recounting of his brother's murder?
(a) the white people who killed him.
(b) a sign from a black God.
(c) the uncleaness of his brother.
(d) the conflict of society.
6. What does Luther accuse Malcolm of spending his life doing?
(a) looking out for everyone but himself.
(b) looking like the man who raped his mother.
(c) trying to look like a movie star.
(d) looking like a pimp.
7. What are Laura's parting words to Malcolm?
(a) you're still the dreamer.
(b) you're still the nicest boy I ever met.
(c) you're fooling yourself, you know.
(d) you're still as stupid as you always were.
8. How does Laura say Malcolm could have saved her once?
(a) by helping her finish school.
(b) by keeping her away from Daniel.
(c) by marrying her.
(d) by showing her a better way.
9. Over what does Malcolm challenge the Sunday Bible Teacher?
(a) whether Jesus was white.
(b) whether Jesus actually lived.
(c) whether Jesus actually raised from the dead.
(d) whether Jesus was nothing more than a prophet.
10. What does Sydney say about black women in a Muslim household?
(a) they are equal to men.
(b) they rule the roost.
(c) they are subservient.
(d) they are like queens.
11. Who are Malcolm and the others looking for at the police station?
(a) Sidney who was taken into custody.
(b) the two black men who were fighting on the street.
(c) Minister Hinton who was beaten by the police.
(d) a black friend who was only an innocent bystander.
12. Who does Malcolm meet at the subway?
13. Why is Malcolm led away by the prison guards?
(a) for fighting.
(b) for cursing.
(c) for not working.
(d) for playing the numbers.
14. What does Shorty think Malcolm is doing with his religious talk?
(a) making fun of the white guards.
(b) finding something to occupy his time.
(c) trying to prove he is insane.
(d) coming up with a new hustle.
15. What is Luther's first advice to get Malcolm out of prison?
(a) let his hair go natural.
(b) hire a good lawyer.
(c) not eat any more pork.
(d) write an apology letter to the warden.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Luther write about Malcolm?
2. What is Luther's complaint about the white press?
3. Who does Malcolm tell Sidney to call when he reports the mob on the street?
4. What does Luther tell Malcolm before he leaves the prison?
5. What is disturbing to the policemen at the station the night Hinton was beaten?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)