|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Malcolm meet at the subway?
2. Who wants to meet Malcolm now that he is out of prison?
(a) the Judge.
(b) the Preacher.
(c) the Numbers Runner.
(d) the Leader.
3. What does Laura say ministers always are when they hear about real life?
4. Who does Malcolm tell Sidney to call when he reports the mob on the street?
(a) all the black colleges.
(b) all the ministers he can find.
(c) all the newspapers he can think of.
(d) all the gang members he can find.
5. What is Hinton's condition in the jail?
(a) he is on a hunger strike.
(b) he is raving mad.
(c) he is praying loudly.
(d) he is unconscious.
6. What does Luther tell Malcolm all black people are?
(a) a nation.
(b) an accident of nature.
(c) a sub-species.
(d) a lost tribe of Israel.
7. What does Luther accuse Malcolm of spending his life doing?
(a) looking like the man who raped his mother.
(b) looking like a pimp.
(c) trying to look like a movie star.
(d) looking out for everyone but himself.
8. What is the symbolism of the new glasses and a pawnshop watch lying on a towel?
(a) it symbolizes time and infinity.
(b) it symbolizes good versus evil.
(c) it symbolizes Malcolm's release from prison.
(d) it symbolizes clean thought and clear vision.
9. What does Laura say she needs from Malcolm?
(a) a place to stay.
(b) a recommendation.
(d) subway fare.
10. To whom does Luther write about Malcolm?
(a) the preseident.
(b) the governor.
(c) the leader.
(d) Malcolm's mother.
11. What is the paper Luther talks about with Malcolm and Sydney?
(a) a community newspaper for black people.
(b) a declaration of independence.
(c) a court order against mass demonstrations.
(d) a manifesto of Muslim religion.
12. What is Malcolm's response when the police tell them to return in the morning?
(a) he says they will return with more people.
(b) he insists that Hinton needs a doctor.
(c) he says they will do that.
(d) he goes and calls a lawyer.
13. How does Laura say Malcolm could have saved her once?
(a) by helping her finish school.
(b) by showing her a better way.
(c) by marrying her.
(d) by keeping her away from Daniel.
14. What does Malcolm tell Luther was the only time he ever went down on his knees?
(a) to ask Laura to marry him.
(b) to look for a lost coin.
(c) to pick a lock.
(d) to pray.
15. What is the metaphor of the wolves, rats, and swine in Luther's recounting of his brother's murder?
(a) a sign from a black God.
(b) the uncleaness of his brother.
(c) the white people who killed him.
(d) the conflict of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luther tell Malcolm about using his fists?
2. What does Miss Betty want to know about Malcolm to tell her class of young women?
3. What is the setting for the beginning of Part 2 of the scenario?
4. Who lights Malcolm's cigarette when his hand is bandaged?
5. What is everyone saying about Malcolm as he refuses to eat pork?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)