|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Betty want to know about Malcolm to tell her class of young women?
(a) if he is Muslim.
(b) if he likes black women.
(c) if he has a job.
(d) if he is married.
2. What is the paper Luther talks about with Malcolm and Sydney?
(a) a declaration of independence.
(b) a manifesto of Muslim religion.
(c) a court order against mass demonstrations.
(d) a community newspaper for black people.
3. Who does Malcolm meet at the subway?
4. What is Luther's first advice to get Malcolm out of prison?
(a) let his hair go natural.
(b) not eat any more pork.
(c) write an apology letter to the warden.
(d) hire a good lawyer.
5. What are Laura's parting words to Malcolm?
(a) you're still the dreamer.
(b) you're still as stupid as you always were.
(c) you're fooling yourself, you know.
(d) you're still the nicest boy I ever met.
6. What does Malcolm think about Luther's hype?
(a) it must be good because Luther is never wrong.
(b) it must be some kind of test for him.
(c) it must be something metaphysical.
(d) it must be a way to control him.
7. Over what does Malcolm challenge the Sunday Bible Teacher?
(a) whether Jesus was white.
(b) whether Jesus was nothing more than a prophet.
(c) whether Jesus actually raised from the dead.
(d) whether Jesus actually lived.
8. Why does Laura sound grateful for the subway money?
(a) so she doesn't have to turn another trick.
(b) so her old man won't beat her when she gets home.
(c) so she doesn't have to beg on the streets.
(d) so she can get home before her old man.
9. To whom does Luther write about Malcolm?
(a) Malcolm's mother.
(b) the preseident.
(c) the governor.
(d) the leader.
10. What is the symbolism of the boy entering the large white hotel?
(a) it represent a change in attitudes.
(b) it foreshadows the civil rights movement
(c) it symbolized progress.
(d) it represents servitude of the black man.
11. What is disturbing to the policemen at the station the night Hinton was beaten?
(a) the noise coming from outside.
(b) the newspaper reporters gathered there.
(c) the large, silent crowd outside the station.
(d) the fire in Malcolm's eyes.
12. What is the metaphor of the wolves, rats, and swine in Luther's recounting of his brother's murder?
(a) the uncleaness of his brother.
(b) a sign from a black God.
(c) the conflict of society.
(d) the white people who killed him.
13. Who are Malcolm and the others looking for at the police station?
(a) Sidney who was taken into custody.
(b) Minister Hinton who was beaten by the police.
(c) the two black men who were fighting on the street.
(d) a black friend who was only an innocent bystander.
14. What does Laura say she did for Daniel?
(a) nursed him through sickness.
(b) cooked his meals.
(c) bought drugs for him.
(d) turned tricks.
15. What is Luther's complaint about the white press?
(a) they don't print in words blacks can understand.
(b) they don't print news of whtie atrocities.
(c) they don't print anything at all about the black community.
(d) they don't print anything to give blacks pride in themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luther tell Malcolm about the first people ever created?
2. Who is Laura's old man?
3. How does Malcolm introduce himself at the police station?
4. Who wants to meet Malcolm now that he is out of prison?
5. Why does Lorraine think it is strange that Malcolm met her husband, Luther, in prison?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)