Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(b) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(c) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
(d) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
2. How does Archie outfit Malcolm with new clothes?
(a) from a closet of stolen goods.
(b) on his credit card.
(c) with cash he made running numbers.
(d) borrowing from a friend about Malcolm's size.
3. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
(a) his father being whipped by the Klan.
(b) Ku Klux Klan members threatening his mother.
(c) the burning down of his father's church.
(d) images of a great fire in his neighborhood.
4. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she washes their windows every Saturday.
(b) she babysits their small children.
(c) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
(d) she walks their dogs.
5. Where is Louise seen telling someone not to feed that boy no pig?
(a) in a breadline.
(b) in an asylum.
(c) in a cafeteria.
(d) in a mosque.
6. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
(a) throw black and red paint on it.
(b) smash in all the windows.
(c) set the house on fire.
(d) burn a cross in the front yard.
7. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he reads the customers' meters
(b) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(c) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(d) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
8. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(b) they have been threatened by the Klan.
(c) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
(d) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
9. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(b) not to make friends with people others do not like.
(c) not to expect too much from your friends.
(d) not to make friends with bad people.
10. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
(a) turning out lawyers to defend black people.
(b) turning out lawyers to keep black people in jail.
(c) turning out lawyers to defend the Constitution.
(d) turning out lawyers to become judges.
11. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
(a) delivering papers and cleaning stables.
(b) picking cotton and baling hay.
(c) shining shoes and carrying luggage.
(d) chopping wood and washing dishes.
12. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(b) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(c) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
(d) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
13. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) a storm arises.
(b) Louise has a miscarriage.
(c) the Klan burns down their house.
(d) Earl is shot in his bed.
14. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) as a porter at the train station.
(b) selling daily newspapers.
(c) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
(d) becoming a pimp.
15. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he has no good clothes.
(b) because he is black.
(c) because he has no money.
(d) because he can't dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
2. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
3. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
4. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
5. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)