|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
(a) his father being whipped by the Klan.
(b) Ku Klux Klan members threatening his mother.
(c) images of a great fire in his neighborhood.
(d) the burning down of his father's church.
2. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
(a) because Malcolm's hand is cold.
(b) because Malcolm is touching her.
(c) because she is cold.
(d) because she is afraid.
3. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
(a) the Reverend leader of the Klan.
(b) a man in prison who preaches Islam.
(c) Marcus Garvey.
(d) Earl Little, Malcolm's father.
4. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because he works there.
(b) because he knows the owner.
(c) because no one sees him sneak in.
(d) because he is big for his age.
5. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
(a) that his mother attempted suicide.
(b) that he will still have to serve out his sentence.
(c) that he will have two more years of probation.
(d) that he will not have to go to the reform school.
6. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
(a) Mohammed Ali.
(b) Jackie Robinson.
(c) Martin Luther King, Sr.
(d) Marcus Garvey.
7. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
(a) she feels superior to other blacks.
(b) she wishes she had married a white man.
(c) she wishes she were blacker than Earl.
(d) she feels superior to Earl.
8. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
(a) he runs away.
(b) he goes to live with his grandmother.
(c) he goes to the reformatory.
(d) he goes into foster care.
9. What do the Klan members accuse Earl of doing?
(a) forming a Black Liberation Army.
(b) stirring up the bad niggers in town.
(c) preaching insurrection against the president.
(d) trying to make a name for himself.
10. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) taking care of his baby brother.
(b) having his mother teach him how to read.
(c) growing peas in his own garden.
(d) carrying heavy things for his mother.
11. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
(a) he says he's in banking because he opens doors for customers.
(b) he says he is in banking because he mops the floors.
(c) he says he is in banking because he shines shoes there.
(d) he says he is in banking because he has a bank account.
12. What does Malcolm's father believe is the real homeland of his people in America?
(a) the North of the United States.
(b) the State of Georgia.
(c) the Caribbean Islands.
13. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
(a) the Klan will go after someone else.
(b) God will help them find a better place.
(c) they won't have any income.
(d) it will be the same wherever they go.
14. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) becoming a pimp.
(b) selling daily newspapers.
(c) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
(d) as a porter at the train station.
15. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(b) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(c) when he reads the customers' meters
(d) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
2. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
3. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
4. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
5. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)