|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
(a) My name is Legion.
(b) I have names given by God.
(c) I have no name really.
(d) I have had so many names.
2. What name is Malcolm given in Dakar?
(a) El Haji Malik El Shabazz.
(d) Ali Hussein.
3. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
(a) he says he is in banking because he mops the floors.
(b) he says he's in banking because he opens doors for customers.
(c) he says he is in banking because he has a bank account.
(d) he says he is in banking because he shines shoes there.
4. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he writes numbers backwards.
(b) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(c) he never wrote down a number in his life.
(d) he writes down everything.
5. What happens to Earl Little?
(a) he is drowned in the ocean.
(b) he has a massive heart attack.
(c) he is run over by a trolley.
(d) he is hanged by the Klan.
6. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(b) the fire is too hot to get near.
(c) they are all white.
(d) the house is too far gone to save.
7. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
8. What thoughtless remark does Judge Merritt make about black people?
(a) that they are mostly criminals.
(b) that they live in shacks and drive clunker cars.
(c) that they only know how to have babies.
(d) that he wonders if they are people.
9. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) selling daily newspapers.
(b) becoming a pimp.
(c) as a porter at the train station.
(d) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
10. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
(a) turning out lawyers to defend the Constitution.
(b) turning out lawyers to keep black people in jail.
(c) turning out lawyers to become judges.
(d) turning out lawyers to defend black people.
11. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) having his mother teach him how to read.
(b) carrying heavy things for his mother.
(c) growing peas in his own garden.
(d) taking care of his baby brother.
12. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
(a) George Washington Carver.
(b) Paul Revere.
(c) Dred Scott.
(d) George Washington.
13. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
(a) a hammer blow to the back of his head.
(b) his knees were shattered.
(c) a stab wound in his back.
(d) his hands were tied behind him.
14. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) Madison Square Garden.
(b) Times Square.
(c) the Audubon Ballroom.
(d) Yankee Stadium.
15. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
(a) old folks.
(b) white people.
(c) uppity black people.
(d) office workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
2. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
3. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
4. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
5. Who is Sophia?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)