|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(b) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
(c) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
(d) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
2. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he is trying to make her forget him.
(b) he doesn't know what to say to her.
(c) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(d) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
3. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Detroit, Michigan.
(b) Marietta, Georgia.
(c) Lansing, Michigan.
(d) Hoboken, NJ.
4. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) the Audubon Ballroom.
(b) Madison Square Garden.
(c) Yankee Stadium.
(d) Times Square.
5. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) a storm arises.
(b) the Klan burns down their house.
(c) Louise has a miscarriage.
(d) Earl is shot in his bed.
6. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
(a) he has the best grades and he is popular.
(b) he has a gang who will threaten those who don't vote for him.
(c) no one else is running against him.
(d) most of the students think he is white.
7. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
(a) the burning down of his father's church.
(b) images of a great fire in his neighborhood.
(c) Ku Klux Klan members threatening his mother.
(d) his father being whipped by the Klan.
8. What thoughtless remark does Judge Merritt make about black people?
(a) that they live in shacks and drive clunker cars.
(b) that they only know how to have babies.
(c) that they are mostly criminals.
(d) that he wonders if they are people.
9. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she washes their windows every Saturday.
(b) she walks their dogs.
(c) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
(d) she babysits their small children.
10. What happens to Earl Little?
(a) he has a massive heart attack.
(b) he is run over by a trolley.
(c) he is hanged by the Klan.
(d) he is drowned in the ocean.
11. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
(b) as a porter at the train station.
(c) becoming a pimp.
(d) selling daily newspapers.
12. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
(b) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
(c) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
(d) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
13. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) they are all white.
(b) the fire is too hot to get near.
(c) the house is too far gone to save.
(d) there are explosions going on inside the house.
14. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
(b) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(c) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(d) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
15. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
2. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
3. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
4. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
5. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)