|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Dred Scott.
(c) George Washington Carver.
(d) Paul Revere.
2. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to make friends with bad people.
(b) not to make friends with people others do not like.
(c) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(d) not to expect too much from your friends.
3. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(b) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
(c) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
(d) they have been threatened by the Klan.
4. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Hoboken, NJ.
(b) Lansing, Michigan.
(c) Detroit, Michigan.
(d) Marietta, Georgia.
5. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
(a) that she might be their daughter or sister.
(b) that she is proud of her black culture.
(c) that she is more whte than they are.
(d) that she is proof blacks and whites can get along.
6. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because he knows the owner.
(b) because he works there.
(c) because he is big for his age.
(d) because no one sees him sneak in.
7. How does Archie outfit Malcolm with new clothes?
(a) with cash he made running numbers.
(b) borrowing from a friend about Malcolm's size.
(c) from a closet of stolen goods.
(d) on his credit card.
8. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(a) a sea gull.
(b) a pilot.
9. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
(a) nobody eats rabbits anymore.
(b) I don't know how to cook a rabbit.
(c) we only raised rabbits to sell to white folks.
(d) we are all tired of eating rabbit.
10. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(b) they say he committed suicide
(c) they say he missed the last payment.
(d) they say his policy was lost.
11. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images in the windows of building.
(b) images on the car windshield.
(c) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
(d) images in the rearview mirror.
12. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
(b) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
(c) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
(d) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
13. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(b) make Louise find a full time job.
(c) remove Louise's children.
(d) deny Louise any assistance.
14. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
(a) a hammer blow to the back of his head.
(b) a stab wound in his back.
(c) his knees were shattered.
(d) his hands were tied behind him.
15. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
(a) he goes into foster care.
(b) he runs away.
(c) he goes to the reformatory.
(d) he goes to live with his grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
2. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
3. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
4. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
5. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)