|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he writes down everything.
(b) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(c) he never wrote down a number in his life.
(d) he writes numbers backwards.
2. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(b) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(c) when he reads the customers' meters
(d) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
3. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she walks their dogs.
(b) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
(c) she babysits their small children.
(d) she washes their windows every Saturday.
4. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
(a) that she is proud of her black culture.
(b) that she is proof blacks and whites can get along.
(c) that she might be their daughter or sister.
(d) that she is more whte than they are.
5. As a youth, what are Malcolm and Laura doing that gets the crowd roaring?
6. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) they are all white.
(b) the house is too far gone to save.
(c) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(d) the fire is too hot to get near.
7. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(b) make Louise find a full time job.
(c) deny Louise any assistance.
(d) remove Louise's children.
8. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) Times Square.
(b) Madison Square Garden.
(c) the Audubon Ballroom.
(d) Yankee Stadium.
9. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
(a) nobody eats rabbits anymore.
(b) we only raised rabbits to sell to white folks.
(c) we are all tired of eating rabbit.
(d) I don't know how to cook a rabbit.
10. Where is Malcolm walking with two pairs of shoes tied and thrown over his shoulder?
(a) on the beach with Laura.
(b) on a basketball court.
(c) on the way to school.
(d) on the railroad tracks.
11. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
(a) Dred Scott.
(b) Paul Revere.
(c) George Washington Carver.
(d) George Washington.
12. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
(a) because she is cold.
(b) because she is afraid.
(c) because Malcolm's hand is cold.
(d) because Malcolm is touching her.
13. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
(a) his hands were tied behind him.
(b) a hammer blow to the back of his head.
(c) a stab wound in his back.
(d) his knees were shattered.
14. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(a) a sea gull.
(d) a pilot.
15. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
(a) that he will not have to go to the reform school.
(b) that he will have two more years of probation.
(c) that his mother attempted suicide.
(d) that he will still have to serve out his sentence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
2. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
3. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
4. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
5. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)