|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(b) he writes down everything.
(c) he writes numbers backwards.
(d) he never wrote down a number in his life.
2. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say his policy was lost.
(b) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(c) they say he missed the last payment.
(d) they say he committed suicide
3. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because no one sees him sneak in.
(b) because he is big for his age.
(c) because he knows the owner.
(d) because he works there.
4. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he has no good clothes.
(b) because he is black.
(c) because he can't dance.
(d) because he has no money.
5. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) becoming a pimp.
(b) as a porter at the train station.
(c) selling daily newspapers.
(d) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
6. What prophetic dream does Malcolm tell Laura he used to have?
(a) speaking in front of a large crowd of people.
(b) doing something to help his parents not work so hard.
(c) marrying a girl just like her.
(d) flying in the sky like a bird.
7. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(c) West Indies Archie.
8. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
(b) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
(c) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(d) they have been threatened by the Klan.
9. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he is trying to make her forget him.
(b) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(c) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(d) he doesn't know what to say to her.
10. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
(a) the Klan will go after someone else.
(b) it will be the same wherever they go.
(c) they won't have any income.
(d) God will help them find a better place.
11. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) growing peas in his own garden.
(b) carrying heavy things for his mother.
(c) taking care of his baby brother.
(d) having his mother teach him how to read.
12. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
(a) old folks.
(b) office workers.
(c) white people.
(d) uppity black people.
13. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(b) deny Louise any assistance.
(c) make Louise find a full time job.
(d) remove Louise's children.
14. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
(a) he tells him he cannot be Class President.
(b) he reminds Malcolm that he is a black boy.
(c) he tells him he cannot become a lawyer.
(d) he reports everything to the police.
15. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) playing basketball.
(b) playing soccer.
(c) making speeches.
(d) writing essays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
2. What thoughtless remark does Judge Merritt make about black people?
3. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
4. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
5. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)