|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
(b) they have been threatened by the Klan.
(c) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(d) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
2. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
(a) they won't have any income.
(b) it will be the same wherever they go.
(c) the Klan will go after someone else.
(d) God will help them find a better place.
3. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(c) a pilot.
(d) a sea gull.
4. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
5. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she babysits their small children.
(b) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
(c) she washes their windows every Saturday.
(d) she walks their dogs.
6. What thoughtless remark does Judge Merritt make about black people?
(a) that he wonders if they are people.
(b) that they live in shacks and drive clunker cars.
(c) that they only know how to have babies.
(d) that they are mostly criminals.
7. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
(a) I don't know how to cook a rabbit.
(b) we are all tired of eating rabbit.
(c) nobody eats rabbits anymore.
(d) we only raised rabbits to sell to white folks.
8. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images on the car windshield.
(b) images in the rearview mirror.
(c) images in the windows of building.
(d) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
9. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
(a) he tells him he cannot become a lawyer.
(b) he reminds Malcolm that he is a black boy.
(c) he tells him he cannot be Class President.
(d) he reports everything to the police.
10. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
(a) he has a gang who will threaten those who don't vote for him.
(b) no one else is running against him.
(c) he has the best grades and he is popular.
(d) most of the students think he is white.
11. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to expect too much from your friends.
(b) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(c) not to make friends with bad people.
(d) not to make friends with people others do not like.
12. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) making speeches.
(b) playing basketball.
(c) writing essays.
(d) playing soccer.
13. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he can't dance.
(b) because he has no money.
(c) because he is black.
(d) because he has no good clothes.
14. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he never wrote down a number in his life.
(b) he writes numbers backwards.
(c) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(d) he writes down everything.
15. What does Malcolm's father believe is the real homeland of his people in America?
(a) the Caribbean Islands.
(b) the State of Georgia.
(c) the North of the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
2. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
3. Where is Malcolm walking with two pairs of shoes tied and thrown over his shoulder?
4. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
5. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)