|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) the fire is too hot to get near.
(b) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(c) the house is too far gone to save.
(d) they are all white.
2. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(c) West Indies Archie.
3. What prophetic dream does Malcolm tell Laura he used to have?
(a) doing something to help his parents not work so hard.
(b) flying in the sky like a bird.
(c) speaking in front of a large crowd of people.
(d) marrying a girl just like her.
4. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(b) when he reads the customers' meters
(c) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(d) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
5. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
(a) set the house on fire.
(b) throw black and red paint on it.
(c) burn a cross in the front yard.
(d) smash in all the windows.
6. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(b) they say he missed the last payment.
(c) they say he committed suicide
(d) they say his policy was lost.
7. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
8. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
(a) that he will have two more years of probation.
(b) that his mother attempted suicide.
(c) that he will not have to go to the reform school.
(d) that he will still have to serve out his sentence.
9. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
(a) Marcus Garvey.
(b) the Reverend leader of the Klan.
(c) a man in prison who preaches Islam.
(d) Earl Little, Malcolm's father.
10. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's sister.
(b) Malcolm's grandmother.
(c) Malcolm's white lover.
(d) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
11. What does Malcolm's father believe is the real homeland of his people in America?
(a) the Caribbean Islands.
(b) the North of the United States.
(d) the State of Georgia.
12. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) writing essays.
(b) playing soccer.
(c) making speeches.
(d) playing basketball.
13. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
(a) they won't have any income.
(b) God will help them find a better place.
(c) it will be the same wherever they go.
(d) the Klan will go after someone else.
14. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
(a) that she is more whte than they are.
(b) that she is proof blacks and whites can get along.
(c) that she is proud of her black culture.
(d) that she might be their daughter or sister.
15. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(b) make Louise find a full time job.
(c) deny Louise any assistance.
(d) remove Louise's children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thoughtless remark does Judge Merritt make about black people?
2. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
3. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
4. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
5. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)