|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(b) they have been threatened by the Klan.
(c) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
(d) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
2. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he has no money.
(b) because he has no good clothes.
(c) because he is black.
(d) because he can't dance.
3. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) playing basketball.
(b) playing soccer.
(c) making speeches.
(d) writing essays.
4. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) the Klan burns down their house.
(b) Earl is shot in his bed.
(c) Louise has a miscarriage.
(d) a storm arises.
5. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
(b) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
(c) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
(d) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
6. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(b) they say he missed the last payment.
(c) they say he committed suicide
(d) they say his policy was lost.
7. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Marietta, Georgia.
(b) Hoboken, NJ.
(c) Detroit, Michigan.
(d) Lansing, Michigan.
8. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
(a) the Ku Klux Klan.
(b) her white neighbors.
(c) the Welfare Society.
(d) the Sheriff.
9. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
(a) because Malcolm's hand is cold.
(b) because she is cold.
(c) because Malcolm is touching her.
(d) because she is afraid.
10. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
(a) that he will still have to serve out his sentence.
(b) that his mother attempted suicide.
(c) that he will not have to go to the reform school.
(d) that he will have two more years of probation.
11. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) deny Louise any assistance.
(b) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(c) make Louise find a full time job.
(d) remove Louise's children.
12. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
(a) we only raised rabbits to sell to white folks.
(b) nobody eats rabbits anymore.
(c) I don't know how to cook a rabbit.
(d) we are all tired of eating rabbit.
13. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
(a) I have names given by God.
(b) My name is Legion.
(c) I have had so many names.
(d) I have no name really.
14. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
(a) he says he's in banking because he opens doors for customers.
(b) he says he is in banking because he mops the floors.
(c) he says he is in banking because he has a bank account.
(d) he says he is in banking because he shines shoes there.
15. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) selling daily newspapers.
(b) becoming a pimp.
(c) as a porter at the train station.
(d) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
2. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
3. What is the name given to Malcolm during a fist fight in prison?
4. What name is Malcolm given in Dakar?
5. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)