|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
(a) he says he is in banking because he has a bank account.
(b) he says he's in banking because he opens doors for customers.
(c) he says he is in banking because he shines shoes there.
(d) he says he is in banking because he mops the floors.
2. What is the name given to Malcolm during a fist fight in prison?
3. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(b) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(c) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
(d) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
4. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images in the rearview mirror.
(b) images on the car windshield.
(c) images in the windows of building.
(d) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
5. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
(a) he has a gang who will threaten those who don't vote for him.
(b) most of the students think he is white.
(c) no one else is running against him.
(d) he has the best grades and he is popular.
6. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
(a) that she may not agree when she knows him better.
(b) that he is only nice to people who are nice to him.
(c) that he was raised by his mother to be a nice boy.
(d) that he is not nice and Laura's grandmother is right about him.
7. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(d) West Indies Archie.
8. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
(b) Malcolm's sister.
(c) Malcolm's grandmother.
(d) Malcolm's white lover.
9. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they have been threatened by the Klan.
(b) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
(c) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(d) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
10. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
(a) that he will have two more years of probation.
(b) that his mother attempted suicide.
(c) that he will not have to go to the reform school.
(d) that he will still have to serve out his sentence.
11. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
(a) he misses the trolley.
(b) no taxi will pick him up.
(c) his congregation keeps him out late.
(d) his car is out of gas.
12. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
(b) as a porter at the train station.
(c) becoming a pimp.
(d) selling daily newspapers.
13. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) Times Square.
(b) the Audubon Ballroom.
(c) Madison Square Garden.
(d) Yankee Stadium.
14. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) carrying heavy things for his mother.
(b) growing peas in his own garden.
(c) having his mother teach him how to read.
(d) taking care of his baby brother.
15. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
(a) I have names given by God.
(b) I have had so many names.
(c) I have no name really.
(d) My name is Legion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Earl Little?
2. What do the Klan members accuse Earl of doing?
3. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
4. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
5. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)