|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(b) a pilot.
(c) a sea gull.
2. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) the Audubon Ballroom.
(b) Madison Square Garden.
(c) Yankee Stadium.
(d) Times Square.
3. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
4. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
(a) his congregation keeps him out late.
(b) his car is out of gas.
(c) he misses the trolley.
(d) no taxi will pick him up.
5. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(b) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
(c) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(d) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
6. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say he missed the last payment.
(b) they say his policy was lost.
(c) they say he committed suicide
(d) they say his policy excludes accidents.
7. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
(a) shining shoes and carrying luggage.
(b) delivering papers and cleaning stables.
(c) picking cotton and baling hay.
(d) chopping wood and washing dishes.
8. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
(a) his knees were shattered.
(b) a stab wound in his back.
(c) his hands were tied behind him.
(d) a hammer blow to the back of his head.
9. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Lansing, Michigan.
(b) Marietta, Georgia.
(c) Hoboken, NJ.
(d) Detroit, Michigan.
10. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
(a) the Welfare Society.
(b) the Ku Klux Klan.
(c) the Sheriff.
(d) her white neighbors.
11. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(b) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
(c) they have been threatened by the Klan.
(d) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
12. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
(a) to attempt suicide.
(b) to scare people into doing his will.
(c) to show he is not afraid to die.
(d) to put on a show for his friends.
13. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(b) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(c) he is trying to make her forget him.
(d) he doesn't know what to say to her.
14. What name is Malcolm given in Dakar?
(a) El Haji Malik El Shabazz.
(d) Ali Hussein.
15. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(b) he never wrote down a number in his life.
(c) he writes numbers backwards.
(d) he writes down everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
2. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
3. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
4. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
5. What do the Klan members accuse Earl of doing?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)