|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's sister.
(b) Malcolm's white lover.
(c) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
(d) Malcolm's grandmother.
2. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
(b) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(c) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(d) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
3. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Hoboken, NJ.
(b) Detroit, Michigan.
(c) Lansing, Michigan.
(d) Marietta, Georgia.
4. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
(a) turning out lawyers to keep black people in jail.
(b) turning out lawyers to defend the Constitution.
(c) turning out lawyers to defend black people.
(d) turning out lawyers to become judges.
5. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) writing essays.
(b) playing soccer.
(c) making speeches.
(d) playing basketball.
6. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(b) he is trying to make her forget him.
(c) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(d) he doesn't know what to say to her.
7. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(b) a pilot.
(d) a sea gull.
8. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(b) they say his policy was lost.
(c) they say he missed the last payment.
(d) they say he committed suicide
9. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
(a) to attempt suicide.
(b) to show he is not afraid to die.
(c) to scare people into doing his will.
(d) to put on a show for his friends.
10. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to make friends with bad people.
(b) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(c) not to expect too much from your friends.
(d) not to make friends with people others do not like.
11. What name is Malcolm given in Dakar?
(a) El Haji Malik El Shabazz.
(c) Ali Hussein.
12. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because he knows the owner.
(b) because he works there.
(c) because no one sees him sneak in.
(d) because he is big for his age.
13. Where is Malcolm walking with two pairs of shoes tied and thrown over his shoulder?
(a) on the railroad tracks.
(b) on the beach with Laura.
(c) on the way to school.
(d) on a basketball court.
14. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
(b) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
(c) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
(d) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
15. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
(a) her white neighbors.
(b) the Ku Klux Klan.
(c) the Welfare Society.
(d) the Sheriff.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
2. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
3. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
4. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
5. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)