|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) the house is too far gone to save.
(b) the fire is too hot to get near.
(c) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(d) they are all white.
2. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
(a) delivering papers and cleaning stables.
(b) picking cotton and baling hay.
(c) shining shoes and carrying luggage.
(d) chopping wood and washing dishes.
3. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he can't dance.
(b) because he has no good clothes.
(c) because he is black.
(d) because he has no money.
4. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(b) a pilot.
(c) a sea gull.
5. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Detroit, Michigan.
(b) Lansing, Michigan.
(c) Hoboken, NJ.
(d) Marietta, Georgia.
6. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(b) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(c) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(d) when he reads the customers' meters
7. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
(a) Jackie Robinson.
(b) Marcus Garvey.
(c) Martin Luther King, Sr.
(d) Mohammed Ali.
8. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
(a) he misses the trolley.
(b) his car is out of gas.
(c) his congregation keeps him out late.
(d) no taxi will pick him up.
9. How does Archie outfit Malcolm with new clothes?
(a) with cash he made running numbers.
(b) on his credit card.
(c) from a closet of stolen goods.
(d) borrowing from a friend about Malcolm's size.
10. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
(a) because she is cold.
(b) because she is afraid.
(c) because Malcolm's hand is cold.
(d) because Malcolm is touching her.
11. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
(b) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(c) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(d) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
12. What prophetic dream does Malcolm tell Laura he used to have?
(a) flying in the sky like a bird.
(b) speaking in front of a large crowd of people.
(c) marrying a girl just like her.
(d) doing something to help his parents not work so hard.
13. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say he committed suicide
(b) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(c) they say he missed the last payment.
(d) they say his policy was lost.
14. Who is Shorty referring to when he speaks about ofays?
(a) uppity black people.
(b) office workers.
(c) white people.
(d) old folks.
15. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
(a) she wishes she were blacker than Earl.
(b) she feels superior to Earl.
(c) she feels superior to other blacks.
(d) she wishes she had married a white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
2. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
3. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
4. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
5. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)