|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
2. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images in the rearview mirror.
(b) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
(c) images on the car windshield.
(d) images in the windows of building.
3. What is the name given to Malcolm during a fist fight in prison?
4. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
(a) Ku Klux Klan members threatening his mother.
(b) the burning down of his father's church.
(c) his father being whipped by the Klan.
(d) images of a great fire in his neighborhood.
5. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
(a) that he is not nice and Laura's grandmother is right about him.
(b) that he was raised by his mother to be a nice boy.
(c) that she may not agree when she knows him better.
(d) that he is only nice to people who are nice to him.
6. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(b) they are all white.
(c) the house is too far gone to save.
(d) the fire is too hot to get near.
7. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(b) not to make friends with people others do not like.
(c) not to make friends with bad people.
(d) not to expect too much from your friends.
8. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) having his mother teach him how to read.
(b) taking care of his baby brother.
(c) carrying heavy things for his mother.
(d) growing peas in his own garden.
9. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(b) make Louise find a full time job.
(c) deny Louise any assistance.
(d) remove Louise's children.
10. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
(b) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(c) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
(d) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
11. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) Earl is shot in his bed.
(b) Louise has a miscarriage.
(c) a storm arises.
(d) the Klan burns down their house.
12. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
(a) most of the students think he is white.
(b) no one else is running against him.
(c) he has a gang who will threaten those who don't vote for him.
(d) he has the best grades and he is popular.
13. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he reads the customers' meters
(b) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(c) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(d) when he goes in to pay his bill.
14. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
(a) smash in all the windows.
(b) burn a cross in the front yard.
(c) throw black and red paint on it.
(d) set the house on fire.
15. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
(a) the Reverend leader of the Klan.
(b) a man in prison who preaches Islam.
(c) Marcus Garvey.
(d) Earl Little, Malcolm's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malcolm's father believe is the real homeland of his people in America?
2. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
3. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
4. Where is Louise seen telling someone not to feed that boy no pig?
5. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)