|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
(a) his congregation keeps him out late.
(b) he misses the trolley.
(c) no taxi will pick him up.
(d) his car is out of gas.
2. What is the name given to Malcolm during a fist fight in prison?
3. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images in the windows of building.
(b) images in the rearview mirror.
(c) images on the car windshield.
(d) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
4. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
(a) turning out lawyers to become judges.
(b) turning out lawyers to defend black people.
(c) turning out lawyers to keep black people in jail.
(d) turning out lawyers to defend the Constitution.
5. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) the Audubon Ballroom.
(b) Yankee Stadium.
(c) Times Square.
(d) Madison Square Garden.
6. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(b) he writes numbers backwards.
(c) he never wrote down a number in his life.
(d) he writes down everything.
7. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she babysits their small children.
(b) she washes their windows every Saturday.
(c) she walks their dogs.
(d) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
8. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(b) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
(c) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(d) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
9. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
(a) that she might be their daughter or sister.
(b) that she is proud of her black culture.
(c) that she is proof blacks and whites can get along.
(d) that she is more whte than they are.
10. As a youth, what are Malcolm and Laura doing that gets the crowd roaring?
11. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(b) a sea gull.
(d) a pilot.
12. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
(a) My name is Legion.
(b) I have names given by God.
(c) I have no name really.
(d) I have had so many names.
13. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
(a) God will help them find a better place.
(b) it will be the same wherever they go.
(c) they won't have any income.
(d) the Klan will go after someone else.
14. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
(a) that she may not agree when she knows him better.
(b) that he is only nice to people who are nice to him.
(c) that he is not nice and Laura's grandmother is right about him.
(d) that he was raised by his mother to be a nice boy.
15. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
(a) he says he is in banking because he mops the floors.
(b) he says he is in banking because he shines shoes there.
(c) he says he is in banking because he has a bank account.
(d) he says he's in banking because he opens doors for customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sophia?
2. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
3. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
4. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
5. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)