|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) make Louise find a full time job.
(b) deny Louise any assistance.
(c) remove Louise's children.
(d) talk Louise into leaving the city.
2. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
(b) Malcolm's grandmother.
(c) Malcolm's sister.
(d) Malcolm's white lover.
3. What prophetic dream does Malcolm tell Laura he used to have?
(a) doing something to help his parents not work so hard.
(b) speaking in front of a large crowd of people.
(c) flying in the sky like a bird.
(d) marrying a girl just like her.
4. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because he knows the owner.
(b) because no one sees him sneak in.
(c) because he is big for his age.
(d) because he works there.
5. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
(b) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
(c) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
(d) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
6. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
7. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(c) West Indies Archie.
8. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he reads the customers' meters
(b) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(c) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(d) when he goes in to pay his bill.
9. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
(a) Marcus Garvey.
(b) Mohammed Ali.
(c) Martin Luther King, Sr.
(d) Jackie Robinson.
10. What does Malcolm have to say about his names?
(a) I have names given by God.
(b) My name is Legion.
(c) I have had so many names.
(d) I have no name really.
11. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he is black.
(b) because he has no money.
(c) because he has no good clothes.
(d) because he can't dance.
12. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
(a) she wishes she were blacker than Earl.
(b) she feels superior to Earl.
(c) she wishes she had married a white man.
(d) she feels superior to other blacks.
13. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
(a) his car is out of gas.
(b) no taxi will pick him up.
(c) he misses the trolley.
(d) his congregation keeps him out late.
14. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) a storm arises.
(b) Louise has a miscarriage.
(c) Earl is shot in his bed.
(d) the Klan burns down their house.
15. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images on the car windshield.
(b) images in the rearview mirror.
(c) images in the windows of building.
(d) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Louise seen telling someone not to feed that boy no pig?
2. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
3. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
4. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
5. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)