|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she washes their windows every Saturday.
(b) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
(c) she walks their dogs.
(d) she babysits their small children.
2. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(b) make Louise find a full time job.
(c) remove Louise's children.
(d) deny Louise any assistance.
3. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
(a) a stab wound in his back.
(b) his hands were tied behind him.
(c) a hammer blow to the back of his head.
(d) his knees were shattered.
4. As a youth, what are Malcolm and Laura doing that gets the crowd roaring?
5. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(b) they say his policy was lost.
(c) they say he missed the last payment.
(d) they say he committed suicide
6. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
(a) Mohammed Ali.
(b) Jackie Robinson.
(c) Martin Luther King, Sr.
(d) Marcus Garvey.
7. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he can't dance.
(b) because he is black.
(c) because he has no good clothes.
(d) because he has no money.
8. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
(a) that he is not nice and Laura's grandmother is right about him.
(b) that she may not agree when she knows him better.
(c) that he is only nice to people who are nice to him.
(d) that he was raised by his mother to be a nice boy.
9. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
(a) turning out lawyers to defend the Constitution.
(b) turning out lawyers to become judges.
(c) turning out lawyers to keep black people in jail.
(d) turning out lawyers to defend black people.
10. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
(a) his car is out of gas.
(b) his congregation keeps him out late.
(c) no taxi will pick him up.
(d) he misses the trolley.
11. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
12. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he reads the customers' meters
(b) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(c) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(d) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
13. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he writes numbers backwards.
(b) he writes down everything.
(c) he never wrote down a number in his life.
(d) he always forgets numbers in his head.
14. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(b) not to make friends with people others do not like.
(c) not to expect too much from your friends.
(d) not to make friends with bad people.
15. What prophetic dream does Malcolm tell Laura he used to have?
(a) marrying a girl just like her.
(b) doing something to help his parents not work so hard.
(c) flying in the sky like a bird.
(d) speaking in front of a large crowd of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
2. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
3. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
4. Who is Sophia?
5. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)