|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) as a porter at the train station.
(b) becoming a pimp.
(c) selling daily newspapers.
(d) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
2. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
(a) set the house on fire.
(b) throw black and red paint on it.
(c) burn a cross in the front yard.
(d) smash in all the windows.
3. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
(a) she feels superior to Earl.
(b) she wishes she had married a white man.
(c) she feels superior to other blacks.
(d) she wishes she were blacker than Earl.
4. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(b) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(c) when he reads the customers' meters
(d) when he goes in to pay his bill.
5. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) playing basketball.
(b) playing soccer.
(c) making speeches.
(d) writing essays.
6. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) Madison Square Garden.
(b) the Audubon Ballroom.
(c) Times Square.
(d) Yankee Stadium.
7. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say he missed the last payment.
(b) they say he committed suicide
(c) they say his policy was lost.
(d) they say his policy excludes accidents.
8. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) they are all white.
(b) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(c) the fire is too hot to get near.
(d) the house is too far gone to save.
9. What does Malcolm say when Laura says he is nice?
(a) that he is only nice to people who are nice to him.
(b) that he is not nice and Laura's grandmother is right about him.
(c) that she may not agree when she knows him better.
(d) that he was raised by his mother to be a nice boy.
10. As a youth, what are Malcolm and Laura doing that gets the crowd roaring?
11. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) taking care of his baby brother.
(b) having his mother teach him how to read.
(c) growing peas in his own garden.
(d) carrying heavy things for his mother.
12. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's grandmother.
(b) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
(c) Malcolm's white lover.
(d) Malcolm's sister.
13. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
(a) he goes to live with his grandmother.
(b) he goes into foster care.
(c) he runs away.
(d) he goes to the reformatory.
14. Where is Malcolm walking with two pairs of shoes tied and thrown over his shoulder?
(a) on the way to school.
(b) on the beach with Laura.
(c) on the railroad tracks.
(d) on a basketball court.
15. What is the name given to Malcolm during a fist fight in prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
2. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
3. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
4. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
5. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)