|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What thoughtless remark does Judge Merritt make about black people?
(a) that they are mostly criminals.
(b) that he wonders if they are people.
(c) that they live in shacks and drive clunker cars.
(d) that they only know how to have babies.
2. Who is the one-eyed preacher?
(a) a man in prison who preaches Islam.
(b) Marcus Garvey.
(c) the Reverend leader of the Klan.
(d) Earl Little, Malcolm's father.
3. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
(a) he goes into foster care.
(b) he goes to live with his grandmother.
(c) he goes to the reformatory.
(d) he runs away.
4. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(b) he writes numbers backwards.
(c) he writes down everything.
(d) he never wrote down a number in his life.
5. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) a storm arises.
(b) Earl is shot in his bed.
(c) the Klan burns down their house.
(d) Louise has a miscarriage.
6. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(b) he doesn't know what to say to her.
(c) he is trying to make her forget him.
(d) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
7. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
(b) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
(c) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
(d) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
8. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's white lover.
(b) Malcolm's sister.
(c) Malcolm's grandmother.
(d) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
9. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(a) West Indies Archie.
10. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
(a) shining shoes and carrying luggage.
(b) delivering papers and cleaning stables.
(c) chopping wood and washing dishes.
(d) picking cotton and baling hay.
11. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(b) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(c) when he reads the customers' meters
(d) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
12. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) deny Louise any assistance.
(b) remove Louise's children.
(c) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(d) make Louise find a full time job.
13. What is the first terrifying image from Malcolm's childhood?
(a) the burning down of his father's church.
(b) his father being whipped by the Klan.
(c) images of a great fire in his neighborhood.
(d) Ku Klux Klan members threatening his mother.
14. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
(a) that she is proof blacks and whites can get along.
(b) that she might be their daughter or sister.
(c) that she is more whte than they are.
(d) that she is proud of her black culture.
15. What happens to Earl Little?
(a) he has a massive heart attack.
(b) he is run over by a trolley.
(c) he is drowned in the ocean.
(d) he is hanged by the Klan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
2. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
3. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
4. Where is Malcolm walking with two pairs of shoes tied and thrown over his shoulder?
5. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)