|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the evidence that Earl did not commit suicide?
(a) a hammer blow to the back of his head.
(b) a stab wound in his back.
(c) his knees were shattered.
(d) his hands were tied behind him.
2. What does Malcolm's father believe is the real homeland of his people in America?
(a) the North of the United States.
(b) the State of Georgia.
(c) the Caribbean Islands.
3. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he can't dance.
(b) because he is black.
(c) because he has no money.
(d) because he has no good clothes.
4. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
(a) he goes to the reformatory.
(b) he goes to live with his grandmother.
(c) he runs away.
(d) he goes into foster care.
5. Where is Malcolm walking with two pairs of shoes tied and thrown over his shoulder?
(a) on the way to school.
(b) on a basketball court.
(c) on the railroad tracks.
(d) on the beach with Laura.
6. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) the fire is too hot to get near.
(b) they are all white.
(c) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(d) the house is too far gone to save.
7. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(a) West Indies Archie.
8. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images in the windows of building.
(b) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
(c) images on the car windshield.
(d) images in the rearview mirror.
9. Why does Malcolm make fun of the deacon?
(a) he says he's in banking because he opens doors for customers.
(b) he says he is in banking because he mops the floors.
(c) he says he is in banking because he has a bank account.
(d) he says he is in banking because he shines shoes there.
10. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
(a) she wishes she were blacker than Earl.
(b) she feels superior to Earl.
(c) she wishes she had married a white man.
(d) she feels superior to other blacks.
11. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(c) a pilot.
(d) a sea gull.
12. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
(a) to scare people into doing his will.
(b) to attempt suicide.
(c) to put on a show for his friends.
(d) to show he is not afraid to die.
13. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
(a) I don't know how to cook a rabbit.
(b) we only raised rabbits to sell to white folks.
(c) nobody eats rabbits anymore.
(d) we are all tired of eating rabbit.
14. What happens at night when the Little family has gone to bed?
(a) Earl is shot in his bed.
(b) Louise has a miscarriage.
(c) the Klan burns down their house.
(d) a storm arises.
15. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
(b) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
(c) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
(d) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
2. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
3. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
4. How does Archie outfit Malcolm with new clothes?
5. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)