|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) the house is too far gone to save.
(b) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(c) they are all white.
(d) the fire is too hot to get near.
2. what are some of the menial jobs Malcolm has?
(a) chopping wood and washing dishes.
(b) picking cotton and baling hay.
(c) delivering papers and cleaning stables.
(d) shining shoes and carrying luggage.
3. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
(a) that he will still have to serve out his sentence.
(b) that he will have two more years of probation.
(c) that he will not have to go to the reform school.
(d) that his mother attempted suicide.
4. As a youth, what are Malcolm and Laura doing that gets the crowd roaring?
5. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) making speeches.
(b) writing essays.
(c) playing basketball.
(d) playing soccer.
6. What does Archie say about writing down numbers?
(a) he always forgets numbers in his head.
(b) he writes numbers backwards.
(c) he never wrote down a number in his life.
(d) he writes down everything.
7. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
(a) throw black and red paint on it.
(b) set the house on fire.
(c) smash in all the windows.
(d) burn a cross in the front yard.
8. Who does Laura say wears the sky like an overcoat?
(a) a sea gull.
(d) a pilot.
9. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
(a) because no one sees him sneak in.
(b) because he is big for his age.
(c) because he knows the owner.
(d) because he works there.
10. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he doesn't know what to say to her.
(b) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(c) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(d) he is trying to make her forget him.
11. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(b) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(c) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
(d) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
12. Who does Earl say is the prophet God has sent to the blacks in America?
(a) Marcus Garvey.
(b) Mohammed Ali.
(c) Martin Luther King, Sr.
(d) Jackie Robinson.
13. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Detroit, Michigan.
(b) Marietta, Georgia.
(c) Lansing, Michigan.
(d) Hoboken, NJ.
14. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
(a) the Welfare Society.
(b) the Sheriff.
(c) the Ku Klux Klan.
(d) her white neighbors.
15. What rule does Mrs. Swerlin say she got from her father and that she lives by?
(a) not to make friends with bad people.
(b) not to make friends with people others do not like.
(c) not to listen to what people say about your friend.
(d) not to expect too much from your friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Archie outfit Malcolm with new clothes?
2. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
3. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
4. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
5. What does Malcolm's father believe is the real homeland of his people in America?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)