|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Louise face one night at suppertime?
(a) the Sheriff.
(b) the Welfare Society.
(c) her white neighbors.
(d) the Ku Klux Klan.
2. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he reads the customers' meters
(b) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(c) when he goes in to pay his bill.
(d) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
3. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
(a) to show he is not afraid to die.
(b) to attempt suicide.
(c) to put on a show for his friends.
(d) to scare people into doing his will.
4. Why do the gathered crowd and the firemen all stand looking at the house burn down?
(a) they are all white.
(b) there are explosions going on inside the house.
(c) the fire is too hot to get near.
(d) the house is too far gone to save.
5. What famous historical figure do Malcolm and Shorty talk about on Boston Commons?
(a) George Washington Carver.
(b) Dred Scott.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Paul Revere.
6. What happens to Malcolm after his mother is taken away?
(a) he goes to the reformatory.
(b) he goes to live with his grandmother.
(c) he goes into foster care.
(d) he runs away.
7. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) taking care of his baby brother.
(b) having his mother teach him how to read.
(c) carrying heavy things for his mother.
(d) growing peas in his own garden.
8. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(b) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
(c) he is trying to make her forget him.
(d) he doesn't know what to say to her.
9. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images on the car windshield.
(b) images in the rearview mirror.
(c) images in the windows of building.
(d) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
10. What do the Klansmen do to the Littles' house?
(a) burn a cross in the front yard.
(b) set the house on fire.
(c) throw black and red paint on it.
(d) smash in all the windows.
11. What is the name given to Malcolm during a fist fight in prison?
12. In a flashback, what does Louise say to Earl about a rabbit?
(a) we are all tired of eating rabbit.
(b) I don't know how to cook a rabbit.
(c) nobody eats rabbits anymore.
(d) we only raised rabbits to sell to white folks.
13. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
(b) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(c) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(d) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
14. What discouraging thing does Mr. Ostrovski do to Malcolm?
(a) he tells him he cannot become a lawyer.
(b) he tells him he cannot be Class President.
(c) he reports everything to the police.
(d) he reminds Malcolm that he is a black boy.
15. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(b) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
(c) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(d) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Louise seen telling someone not to feed that boy no pig?
2. Who is Sophia?
3. How does Malcolm get away with entering a bar in the Negro Section of Lansing?
4. What do the Klan members accuse Earl of doing?
5. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)