|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
(b) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
(c) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(d) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
2. What happens to Earl Little?
(a) he is drowned in the ocean.
(b) he is run over by a trolley.
(c) he has a massive heart attack.
(d) he is hanged by the Klan.
3. What job does Shorty teach Malcolm how to perform?
(a) as a porter at the train station.
(b) selling daily newspapers.
(c) becoming a pimp.
(d) men's room attendant at the Roseland Ballroom.
4. Malcolm says "That cat who says he's in utilities actually is in utilities ___________________________."
(a) when he reads the customers' meters
(b) when he ain't riding his bicycle for the gas company.
(c) when he runs an extension cord from his neighbor's house.
(d) when he goes in to pay his bill.
5. What does Malcolm accuse Paul of wanting when he tries to fix him up with a girl?
(a) he wants the girl to scream rape and send Malcolm to jail.
(b) he wants Malcolm to get into trouble.
(c) he wants to get revenge on the girl for jilting him.
(d) if she puts out for Malcolm, she'll have to put out for Paul.
6. What does Malcolm say about Miss Stella who says she is with an old family?
(a) she cleans their toilets and cooks their food.
(b) she babysits their small children.
(c) she washes their windows every Saturday.
(d) she walks their dogs.
7. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) Yankee Stadium.
(b) the Audubon Ballroom.
(c) Times Square.
(d) Madison Square Garden.
8. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
(a) she wishes she had married a white man.
(b) she feels superior to other blacks.
(c) she wishes she were blacker than Earl.
(d) she feels superior to Earl.
9. Why does Earl have to walk home that night?
(a) his congregation keeps him out late.
(b) his car is out of gas.
(c) he misses the trolley.
(d) no taxi will pick him up.
10. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he is black.
(b) because he can't dance.
(c) because he has no good clothes.
(d) because he has no money.
11. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he doesn't know what to say to her.
(b) he is trying to make her forget him.
(c) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(d) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
12. What does Shorty say the Harvard Law School is for?
(a) turning out lawyers to become judges.
(b) turning out lawyers to keep black people in jail.
(c) turning out lawyers to defend black people.
(d) turning out lawyers to defend the Constitution.
13. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
(a) they say he committed suicide
(b) they say his policy was lost.
(c) they say his policy excludes accidents.
(d) they say he missed the last payment.
14. Why does Louise lose her job cooking for a white family?
(a) they discover that she is Earl's widow.
(b) they disapprove of Louise saying Earl was murdered.
(c) they will not allow Louise to bring her children to work.
(d) they have been threatened by the Klan.
15. What does the teenage Malcolm excel in that wins him admiration?
(a) playing soccer.
(b) writing essays.
(c) making speeches.
(d) playing basketball.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is Malcolm given in Dakar?
2. Why does Malcolm think they might make him class president at school?
3. Where does Louise tell little Malcolm he was born?
4. What does Malcolm's father believe is the real homeland of his people in America?
5. What is the news Judge Merritt brings to Malcolm at the Swerlin house?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)