|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What method does Baldwin use to show flashbacks to Malcolm's early life?
(a) images in the rearview mirror.
(b) images in the windows of building.
(c) images in Malcolm's sun glasses.
(d) images on the car windshield.
2. Why does Malcolm think Shorty wants to set him up with a particular woman?
(a) he wants Malcolm to find out if she is a virgin.
(b) because she thinks Malcolm is white.
(c) if she puts out for Malcolm, Shorty will know she is cheating on him.
(d) he wants Malcolm to break in one of his whores.
3. Why is Malcolm not at the Lancing High School dance?
(a) because he has no good clothes.
(b) because he is black.
(c) because he can't dance.
(d) because he has no money.
4. Who is the fair, young mulatto woman hanging out clothes?
(a) Louise Little, Malcolm's mother.
(b) Laura, Malcolm's one true love.
(c) Sophia, Malcolm's mistress.
(d) Daisy Little, Malcolm'sd grandmother.
5. Who is Sophia?
(a) Malcolm's white lover.
(b) Malcolm's sister.
(c) Malcolm's fantasy girlfriend.
(d) Malcolm's grandmother.
6. How does Louise respond when she is called a half-white bitch by Klan members?
(a) that she might be their daughter or sister.
(b) that she is proof blacks and whites can get along.
(c) that she is more whte than they are.
(d) that she is proud of her black culture.
7. Who does Malcolm come across in Small's Paradise Bar?
(d) West Indies Archie.
8. What does Malcolm admit to Laura that made him proud when he was a little boy?
(a) taking care of his baby brother.
(b) growing peas in his own garden.
(c) having his mother teach him how to read.
(d) carrying heavy things for his mother.
9. As the screenplay opens, where is Malcolm scheduled to speak that evening?
(a) the Audubon Ballroom.
(b) Yankee Stadium.
(c) Madison Square Garden.
(d) Times Square.
10. Why does Malcolm say he does not write to his mother in the asylum?
(a) he doesn't think they let her have mail.
(b) he doesn't know what to say to her.
(c) he is trying to make her forget him.
(d) he thinks his letters will only cause trouble.
11. Why does Malcolm put a gun to his head and pull the trigger?
(a) to put on a show for his friends.
(b) to attempt suicide.
(c) to scare people into doing his will.
(d) to show he is not afraid to die.
12. What do the Klan members accuse Earl of doing?
(a) preaching insurrection against the president.
(b) trying to make a name for himself.
(c) stirring up the bad niggers in town.
(d) forming a Black Liberation Army.
13. As Malcolm holds Laura's hand, why does she shiver?
(a) because she is cold.
(b) because Malcolm's hand is cold.
(c) because Malcolm is touching her.
(d) because she is afraid.
14. What does the white Welfare Worker want to do?
(a) talk Louise into leaving the city.
(b) make Louise find a full time job.
(c) remove Louise's children.
(d) deny Louise any assistance.
15. What city had Laura never heard of?
(a) Hoboken, NJ.
(b) Marietta, Georgia.
(c) Detroit, Michigan.
(d) Lansing, Michigan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louise's feeling about being light skinned?
2. What is the name given to Malcolm during a fist fight in prison?
3. Why does the insurance company not pay up on Earl's life insurance?
4. What name is Malcolm given in Dakar?
5. What does Earl say will be the outcome of their moving out of town?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)