|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tod think when he sees Mary Dove?
2. What does Tod think Abe is when he first sees him?
3. What is a sporting house?
4. What does Faye tell Homer?
5. What does Harry want Homer to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Homer Simpson's move to California?
2. Describe Homer's personality.
3. In what way does Tod think he might be able to get closer to Faye?
4. What is the metaphor that Tod uses when he thinks about Faye?
5. What is the significance of Harry's death for Faye?
6. How does Tod's new friendship with Abe foreshadow what will come for Tod?
7. What happens when Tod and Claude arrive at Mrs. Jenning's?
8. Why is Tod unsure about Harry's illness at first?
9. Describe Tod's accommodations in Hollywood.
10. Why has Tod come to Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the circumstances surrounding Homer's move to California? What was his life like before the move? What precipitated the move? How much planning went into the transition?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mrs. Jenning. What does she look like? What was her past? How has she created a business that will sustain her? Does she seem comfortable with her new life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the unusual setting of Claude Estee's house. What is Claude trying to communicate about himself through the style of the house and its eccentricities? Does Tod feel comfortable there? Why does Tod return there at the end of the story?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)