|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a sporting house?
2. What does Harry ask Homer?
3. How long doe Homer sleep?
4. What does Tod think his chances are for getting close to Faye?
5. What does Homer have to do to control his hands when excited?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Harry Greener?
2. What has Tod learned in his relatively brief time in Hollywood?
3. Describe Homer's personality.
4. What metaphor does the author use for Tod's impression of getting close to Faye?
5. What progress is Tod making at getting closer to Faye?
6. Explain how Tod gets in his own way when trying to make any progress with Faye.
7. What happens between Homer and the woman at the hotel?
8. How does Harry make a living since his vaudeville career is over?
9. How does the author begin the story with interest so that the setting and time period are different from what is originally thought?
10. How does Tod prepare to speak to Faye one more time about working at Mrs. Jenning's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Harry Greener's death? For the entertainment industry? For Faye? For Tod?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author insert a character like Abe Kusich who is a dwarf? How does Tod accept Abe's presence in his life? What does Abe mean for Tod? For the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the unusual setting of Claude Estee's house. What is Claude trying to communicate about himself through the style of the house and its eccentricities? Does Tod feel comfortable there? Why does Tod return there at the end of the story?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)