|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of architecture is the norm in California?
2. What is a sporting house?
3. Whose party is Tod going to tonight?
4. What is Tod's impression of Mrs. Jenning?
5. What does Faye's new boyfriend bring to the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author begin the story with interest so that the setting and time period are different from what is originally thought?
2. Explain how Tod is getting an education apart from anything he ever learned at Yale.
3. How does Tod prepare to speak to Faye one more time about working at Mrs. Jenning's?
4. Why is Tod so energized to be in Hollywood?
5. How does Homer's house seem to symbolize who he is?
6. Describe Homer's house.
7. Why does Tod spend so much time at the Greeners' apartment?
8. How does the author indicate that Homer has some serious personal issues?
9. How does Faye charm the men when the cock fight is over?
10. Explain how Faye and Homer's relationship begins to go bad.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Harry Greener. What is his past life like? What brought him to Hollywood? What are his physical characteristics? Is he resourceful or pathetic with his silver business?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Tod view the people he sees as potential models or subjects of his paintings? What is the author telling the reader by Tod's fixation? Is Tod a realist or a romantic?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the unusual setting of Claude Estee's house. What is Claude trying to communicate about himself through the style of the house and its eccentricities? Does Tod feel comfortable there? Why does Tod return there at the end of the story?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)