|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Homer spend most of his time?
2. Why did Tod get hired?
3. What is unusual about the chimney?
4. What does Homer do for Harry and Faye?
5. What does Homer have to do to control his hands when excited?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tod unsure about Harry's illness at first?
2. How does Homer meet the woman that is a big part of his painful memories?
3. How does the author begin the story with interest so that the setting and time period are different from what is originally thought?
4. Why is Tod so energized to be in Hollywood?
5. What is the metaphor that Tod uses when he thinks about Faye?
6. Explain how Tod is getting an education apart from anything he ever learned at Yale.
7. What are Faye's plans now that Harry is dead?
8. What is Tod's opinion of why people come to California?
9. How does Homer's life change after meeting Faye?
10. What is the significance of Harry's death for Faye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Harry Greener's death? For the entertainment industry? For Faye? For Tod?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Tod is so persistent in his pursuit of Faye even though she has told him she cannot love him. Is Tod obtuse? Is he a hopeless romantic? Or does he simply think he will wear down Faye's resistance with his persistence?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the unusual setting of Claude Estee's house. What is Claude trying to communicate about himself through the style of the house and its eccentricities? Does Tod feel comfortable there? Why does Tod return there at the end of the story?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)