|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease did Homer get?
2. What does Tod do after work?
3. What does Tod take to get home?
4. Why did Tod get hired?
5. How does Harry supplement his income?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tod come to spend his evenings with Harry even if Faye is not home?
2. How does Tod prepare to speak to Faye one more time about working at Mrs. Jenning's?
3. How does Harry make a living since his vaudeville career is over?
4. What metaphor does the author use for Tod's impression of getting close to Faye?
5. Who is Earle Shoop?
6. How confident is Tod that he can get Faye to fall in love with him?
7. How did Tod come to live at the San Bernardino Arms?
8. How does Tod's new friendship with Abe foreshadow what will come for Tod?
9. Explain the symbolism of Faye's working on the movie, Waterloo.
10. What is the first physical description the reader gets about Faye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tod is so persistent in his pursuit of Faye even though she has told him she cannot love him. Is Tod obtuse? Is he a hopeless romantic? Or does he simply think he will wear down Faye's resistance with his persistence?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author insert a character like Abe Kusich who is a dwarf? How does Tod accept Abe's presence in his life? What does Abe mean for Tod? For the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Faye Greener. Why is Tod so infatuated with her even though she is younger than he? How can Tod look beyond Faye's shallow and self-centered personality and want to spend time with her? What does Faye represent for Tod?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)