|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the chimney?
2. What does Homer think of Homer's sales pitch?
3. How are the main sections of the house decorated?
4. How does Harry supplement his income?
5. What task does Homer recall about working at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tod so energized to be in Hollywood?
2. How does Tod come to know Homer Simpson?
3. Explain how Faye and Homer's relationship begins to go bad.
4. Explain how Tod gets in his own way when trying to make any progress with Faye.
5. How does Tod come to spend his evenings with Harry even if Faye is not home?
6. Who is Claude Estee?
7. What is Tod's opinion of why people come to California?
8. How does Tod's new friendship with Abe foreshadow what will come for Tod?
9. Who is Harry Greener?
10. What is Tod's experience with Joan Schwartzen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tod is so persistent in his pursuit of Faye even though she has told him she cannot love him. Is Tod obtuse? Is he a hopeless romantic? Or does he simply think he will wear down Faye's resistance with his persistence?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Homer's cottage. Why did he choose it? Is it consistent with Homer's personality? Does it reflect him or not? Why did the author put Homer in this setting?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the unusual setting of Claude Estee's house. What is Claude trying to communicate about himself through the style of the house and its eccentricities? Does Tod feel comfortable there? Why does Tod return there at the end of the story?
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)