|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mrs. Jenning's former profession?
2. What does Claude offer Tod?
3. What type of architecture is the norm in California?
4. What was Harry's dream?
5. What does Mrs. Jenning call her customers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author indicate that Homer has some serious personal issues?
2. What happens between Homer and the woman at the hotel?
3. Explain the symbolism of Faye's working on the movie, Waterloo.
4. What happens when Tod and Claude arrive at Mrs. Jenning's?
5. How does Mrs. Jenning run her sporting house?
6. How does Faye react when she comes home to find Tod at the apartment even though Harry is asleep?
7. What progress is Tod making at getting closer to Faye?
8. What is the metaphor that Tod uses when he thinks about Faye?
9. What is Tod's opinion of why people come to California?
10. How does Homer manage his infatuation with Faye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tod is so persistent in his pursuit of Faye even though she has told him she cannot love him. Is Tod obtuse? Is he a hopeless romantic? Or does he simply think he will wear down Faye's resistance with his persistence?
Essay Topic 2
Describe a typical day in the life of Homer Simpson. How does he spend much of his time. Who are his friends? Who does he talk to? How does he take his meals? How does he get to sleep?
Essay Topic 3
What are Faye's goals in life? Are they realistic? Why does Tod not figure into Faye's plans? Why does she attach herself to characters like Homer and Earle despite the fact that they cannot advance her goals?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)