|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tod think Abe is when he first sees him?
2. How does Harry Greener meet Homer?
3. Where did Tod go to college?
4. Where does Homer put the alarm clock?
5. What is unusual about the chimney?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the cock fight in Homer's garage is a scene of foreshadowing.
2. How does Harry make a living since his vaudeville career is over?
3. Describe the lonely life that Homer now has in California.
4. Who is Harry Greener?
5. Why does Tod begin spending so much time at the Greeners' apartment?
6. Why is the cock fight party at his house a turning point for Homer?
7. Describe Tod's accommodations in Hollywood.
8. How does Homer manage his infatuation with Faye?
9. What is the significance of Harry's death for Faye?
10. Why has Tod come to Hollywood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Faye Greener. Why is Tod so infatuated with her even though she is younger than he? How can Tod look beyond Faye's shallow and self-centered personality and want to spend time with her? What does Faye represent for Tod?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author insert a character like Abe Kusich who is a dwarf? How does Tod accept Abe's presence in his life? What does Abe mean for Tod? For the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are the circumstances surrounding Homer's move to California? What was his life like before the move? What precipitated the move? How much planning went into the transition?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)