|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the building?
2. What is Joan's profession?
3. Who is the note from?
4. Who does Tod like to see in the building?
5. What does Tod think when he sees Mary Dove?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the metaphor that Tod uses when he thinks about Faye?
2. Why is Tod so energized to be in Hollywood?
3. How does Homer meet Faye?
4. How confident is Tod that he can get Faye to fall in love with him?
5. How does Tod come to know Homer Simpson?
6. Describe the symbolism of the discarded film set debris that Tod sees as he walks to find Faye on the movie set.
7. Explain how Faye and Homer's relationship begins to go bad.
8. What happens when Tod and Claude arrive at Mrs. Jenning's?
9. Why does Tod begin spending so much time at the Greeners' apartment?
10. How does Homer's house seem to symbolize who he is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author insert a character like Abe Kusich who is a dwarf? How does Tod accept Abe's presence in his life? What does Abe mean for Tod? For the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the foreshadowing of the battle scene Tod witnesses at the beginning of the novel. What does it signify for him later in the story? Why does the author open the story this way?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the unusual setting of Claude Estee's house. What is Claude trying to communicate about himself through the style of the house and its eccentricities? Does Tod feel comfortable there? Why does Tod return there at the end of the story?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)