|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Léonie?
2. What is child sized?
3. What is in the package the mail carrier throws over the gate?
4. What is Louis doing in his workshop?
5. What does Thérèse tell Léonie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many statements throughout this novel about church, Jesus, Christianity, and in particular, Mary, the mother of Jesus. Additionally, reference is made about Jews, though the Jewish religion is not mentioned too much. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Take three characters and trace their references to religion throughout the novel. Evaluate how strongly each character feels about his/her spiritual life and what each believes. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
2. Compare and contrast the way the main characters and the village people view Christianity versus Judaism and Christians versus Jews. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
3. Is this novel about religion and spirituality? If references to religious ideas and beliefs were removed, how substantially would the novel be impacted? Discuss using specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Dreams are detailed in several chapters of this work; two particularly long ones are in chapter 1 and chapter 47. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Describe several symbols in the dreams and their meaning.
2. What do you think is the purpose of using dreams in this novel?
3. How effective are the dreams at explaining the interior landscape of ThÃ©rÃ¨se and LÃ©onie, since each character dreams one of the two significant dreams.
4. Do you find that dreams contribute to the meaning of this work? What about other literature or film that has one or more dream scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Chapters 18 and 19 both obliquely refer to the rape of Antoinette by a German soldier during WWII. There are a number of references throughout the text that implies that ThÃ©rÃ¨se, and perhaps even LÃ©onie is a product of this rape. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. List and discuss the references throughout the novel that suggests that Antoinette is raped by a German soldier. Include dreams, conversations, and any other sources. What is your interpretation of the textual evidence?
2. Discuss the references that suggest that ThÃ©rÃ¨se is a product of the rape. Are there references that imply that LÃ©onie is not only ThÃ©rÃ¨se's sister, but her twin and is a product of the same rape? Find those references also. What do you believe about the parentage of the two girls? Support your statements with specific textual references.
3. Breasts are an obvious symbol of maternity in that women breastfeed their children. Discuss the implications of Antoinette's breast cancer and her role as a mother juxtaposed next to the fact that she is raped.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)