|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thérèse learn about her mother?
2. To what does Thérèse set fire?
3. What does Thérèse tell Léonie?
4. What is missing from the photographs?
5. What scene does Léonie intuit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starting with the second chapter and as a thread throughout much of the novel is the idea of materialism and obsession with possessions, especially on the part of LÃ©onie. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Follow the theme of materialism throughout the story, giving specific examples of how and why this theme occurs.
2. Write an essay on the following idea: Is wealth/materialism in direct conflict with a spiritual life? Use examples from the book and from your personal life to illustrate your stance.
3. People from the United States are often accused of being materialistic and that this has greatly contributed to environmental problems. Write an essay either agreeing or disagreeing and support with examples and details.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, LÃ©onie is fascinated by the family photographs in the main salon. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss the photographs that are mentioned throughout the novel and what they might imply about the persons in each picture.
2. Write an essay on the history of photography and how it has impacted one particular aspect of modern culture.
3. Why are humans fascinated with producing imagery, especially reproducing exact images of themselves and their environment? Do you think this is a way of obtaining immortality? How do you feel about photography and the pictures you have taken?
Essay Topic 3
Chapters 18 and 19 both obliquely refer to the rape of Antoinette by a German soldier during WWII. There are a number of references throughout the text that implies that ThÃ©rÃ¨se, and perhaps even LÃ©onie is a product of this rape. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. List and discuss the references throughout the novel that suggests that Antoinette is raped by a German soldier. Include dreams, conversations, and any other sources. What is your interpretation of the textual evidence?
2. Discuss the references that suggest that ThÃ©rÃ¨se is a product of the rape. Are there references that imply that LÃ©onie is not only ThÃ©rÃ¨se's sister, but her twin and is a product of the same rape? Find those references also. What do you believe about the parentage of the two girls? Support your statements with specific textual references.
3. Breasts are an obvious symbol of maternity in that women breastfeed their children. Discuss the implications of Antoinette's breast cancer and her role as a mother juxtaposed next to the fact that she is raped.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)