|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thérèse do with the package?
2. Who betrays Henri and Rose to the Nazis?
3. What problem does Léonie try to resolve?
4. What is the consequence of Henri's death?
5. Why do the girls have to stay out of the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most novels have several themes, one or two main themes and one or more minor themes. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss one of what you believe to be a major theme. Give specific examples of how the theme is illustrated and why you think it is a major theme.
2. Discuss two minor themes of the novel. Give specific examples of how the themes are illustrated and why you choose those themes.
3. Briefly define several themes of the novel and show how they are interrelated, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
A literary technique called "foreshadowing" is seen in Chapter 11. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. What theme/idea do you think is foreshadowed in this chapter? (hint: it has something to do with ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship to her "father," Louis. Give examples of both what is foreshadowed and where the theme/idea again appears later in the story.
2. What are literary techniques? Name several of the most common and define them.
3. Take the literary techniques you define in question number 2 and give examples of their occurrence in this story or some other piece of literature or film.
4. Do you think authors intentionally plan to write in literary techniques such as foreshadowing? Explain
Essay Topic 3
Chapters 25-28 are predominantly concerned with the process of Antoinette's imminent death and then her death. Death is viewed differently by different characters depending on their religious views and their relationship to the one dying, in this case, Antoinette. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How does Antoinette's imminent death and then subsequent death affect the following characters: LÃ©onie, ThÃ©rÃ¨se, Louis, and Madeleine. Cite specific examples.
2 After conducting some research, compare and contrast Judaism's view of death versus the Roman Catholic view.
3. Discuss how you felt when someone close to you was dying and then after the person died. Are any of the emotions present in the novel similar to yours? Give examples.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)