|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't Léonie like?
2. Of what do both women accuse the other?
3. What does Thérèse learn about her mother?
4. Who meets Léonie in the woods?
5. For what does Madeleine scold Thérèse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The keeping of secrets is a recurring theme in this novel. Both ThÃ©rÃ¨se and LÃ©onie withhold secrets from each other as girls; the adults withhold secrets from the children; the house holds secrets from the past, and Antoinette holds some secrets from both the adults and the children. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss the secrets ThÃ©rÃ¨se and LÃ©onie hold from each other and why you think they do this. Give specific details and examples from the book.
2. Discuss the secrets the adults withhold from the children. Why do they do this? Is it wise to do so? Do adults in general tend to keep too much from children? Why or why not.
3. Discuss Antoinette's secrets and what you think they are and why you think she keeps them secrets. Is that healthy? She is the only one to get ill and die in the novel--could there be a correlation between her secrets eating away inside her and her getting cancer?
Essay Topic 2
Starting with the second chapter and as a thread throughout much of the novel is the idea of materialism and obsession with possessions, especially on the part of LÃ©onie. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Follow the theme of materialism throughout the story, giving specific examples of how and why this theme occurs.
2. Write an essay on the following idea: Is wealth/materialism in direct conflict with a spiritual life? Use examples from the book and from your personal life to illustrate your stance.
3. People from the United States are often accused of being materialistic and that this has greatly contributed to environmental problems. Write an essay either agreeing or disagreeing and support with examples and details.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 15, we learn that the wood floors of the house are marked by the German soldiers' boots, and the original red tiles are permanently ruined, and Antoinette has had carpet put down to cover these marks. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How are the floors symbolic of psychological scars and whose scars? Give details and examples.
2. There seems to be a general conspiracy to cover wounds of the past in this story. Who decides to figuratively pull the rugs out from under everyone's feet and reveal what is under them and why does she decide to do so?
3. Do you think it is healthy to "cover up" past scars so that one does not have to think about them? Why or why not?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)