|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest think Thérèse needs to do?
2. What information does Thérèse not believe from reading the letters?
3. What are the workmen doing when they find a shallow grave with a heap of bones?
4. What does Thérèse say Léonie can do?
5. What does Thérèse uncover in the basement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though this novel contains a complex interrelationship of themes, characters, and imagery, each character, even those not born at the time, is affected by the occupation of the Nazis and their execution of the Jewish family which Henri and Rose shelters. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Trace how Antoinette has been affected by the Nazi occupation of the Martin house and the village. Give examples and discuss what you think actually happened to Antoinette down in the cellar and how that informs the rest of Antoinette's life.
2. After doing some research, discuss how the country of France in general reacts to the Nazi persecution of Jews of French citizenship. Give examples and relate your research to what happens in this novel.
3. Discuss why you think LÃ©onie chooses to reveal what she knows about the events during the Nazi occupation. Is there any reason for going back to the past and trying to place blame? Should anything happen to the informant this long after the actual event? What do you think should be done?
Essay Topic 2
There are many statements throughout this novel about church, Jesus, Christianity, and in particular, Mary, the mother of Jesus. Additionally, reference is made about Jews, though the Jewish religion is not mentioned too much. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Take three characters and trace their references to religion throughout the novel. Evaluate how strongly each character feels about his/her spiritual life and what each believes. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
2. Compare and contrast the way the main characters and the village people view Christianity versus Judaism and Christians versus Jews. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
3. Is this novel about religion and spirituality? If references to religious ideas and beliefs were removed, how substantially would the novel be impacted? Discuss using specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Most novels have several themes, one or two main themes and one or more minor themes. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss one of what you believe to be a major theme. Give specific examples of how the theme is illustrated and why you think it is a major theme.
2. Discuss two minor themes of the novel. Give specific examples of how the themes are illustrated and why you choose those themes.
3. Briefly define several themes of the novel and show how they are interrelated, using examples from the book.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)