Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Thérèse not believe from reading the letters?
2. How is the church decorated?
3. What is the interior of the priest's house like?
4. About whom does Thérèse have violent dreams?
5. Who betrays Henri and Rose to the Nazis?
Essay Topic 1
Chapters 21 and 22 demonstrates the complexity of the LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship when they are girls. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Does LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship seem more positive when they were children than as adults? Why or why not? Be sure to give specific examples to illustrate your stance.
2. Does the difference in LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship as children versus adults have anything to do with the nature of friendships between children versus that of adults and upon what each group bases their friendships? Discuss.
3. In several chapters, there is a sexual innuendo that seems to be a part of LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship as children. Do you agree with that statement--cite examples to support your stance? Do you think it is common for children of either the same sex or opposite sex to experiment with sex? Does this have any long-lasting effect upon their sexual orientation as adults? Did it in the case of LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se?
Essay Topic 2
Though this novel contains a complex interrelationship of themes, characters, and imagery, each character, even those not born at the time, is affected by the occupation of the Nazis and their execution of the Jewish family which Henri and Rose shelters. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Trace how Antoinette has been affected by the Nazi occupation of the Martin house and the village. Give examples and discuss what you think actually happened to Antoinette down in the cellar and how that informs the rest of Antoinette's life.
2. After doing some research, discuss how the country of France in general reacts to the Nazi persecution of Jews of French citizenship. Give examples and relate your research to what happens in this novel.
3. Discuss why you think LÃ©onie chooses to reveal what she knows about the events during the Nazi occupation. Is there any reason for going back to the past and trying to place blame? Should anything happen to the informant this long after the actual event? What do you think should be done?
Essay Topic 3
There are two sides to the Martin house. One side is proper and presentable, and the other is full of darkness and threatening secrets. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Describe both parts of the Martin house and list some of the imagery associated with each part.
2. Can the Martin house be an analogy for humans, i.e., we all have a "dark" and a "light" side to our personalities. Discuss yourself or someone you know and the traits that's that you consider dark or light and show how those traits can be said to belong to one part of the Martin home or the other. Explain why you assign a trait to one side or the other.
3. Literature is replete with the idea that life is duality--good or evil, hot or cold, sad or joyful.... But much of life rather than being a duality is various shades or mixtures of opposites. Talk about this idea and use examples both from Daughters of the House and your own experiences.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)