Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Thérèse not believe from reading the letters?
2. How is the church decorated?
3. What is the interior of the priest's house like?
4. About whom does Thérèse have violent dreams?
5. Who betrays Henri and Rose to the Nazis?
Most novels have several themes, one or two main themes and one or more minor themes. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss one of what you believe to be a major theme. Give specific examples of how the theme is illustrated and why you think it is a major theme.
2. Discuss two minor themes of the novel. Give specific examples of how the themes are illustrated and why you choose those themes.
3. Briefly define several themes of the novel and show how they are interrelated, using examples from the book.
The two main characters, LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se, are cousins (or perhaps sisters), though, they are in some ways mirror opposites of each other...or are they. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. In what ways are LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se complete opposites; give several examples and explain your choices.
2. In what ways are LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se similar; give several examples and explain your choices.
3. Which cousin seems to be more "real"? Why?
In chapter 6, ThÃ©rÃ¨se and LÃ©onie have a meal together. LÃ©onie takes special care in setting the table and choosing the menu. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Follow the thread of food and eating that occurs throughout the novel, giving examples of that theme and an interpretation of the examples you choose.
2. Food is essential to the continuation of life, and thus is often offered symbolically as well as concretely in many cultures. Compare and contrast the symbolism of food in several diverse cultures.
3. Discuss how food is treated in advertisements in the country in which you live, including billboard advertisements, magazines, t.v., and radio. What is the main purpose of the advertisements? Are they successful? Do they sway you?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)