|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what do both women accuse the other?
2. What is Louis doing in his workshop?
3. What problem does Léonie try to resolve?
4. What milestone occurs in Léonie's life?
5. What does Thérèse do with the package?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many statements throughout this novel about church, Jesus, Christianity, and in particular, Mary, the mother of Jesus. Additionally, reference is made about Jews, though the Jewish religion is not mentioned too much. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Take three characters and trace their references to religion throughout the novel. Evaluate how strongly each character feels about his/her spiritual life and what each believes. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
2. Compare and contrast the way the main characters and the village people view Christianity versus Judaism and Christians versus Jews. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
3. Is this novel about religion and spirituality? If references to religious ideas and beliefs were removed, how substantially would the novel be impacted? Discuss using specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Chapters 25-28 are predominantly concerned with the process of Antoinette's imminent death and then her death. Death is viewed differently by different characters depending on their religious views and their relationship to the one dying, in this case, Antoinette. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How does Antoinette's imminent death and then subsequent death affect the following characters: LÃ©onie, ThÃ©rÃ¨se, Louis, and Madeleine. Cite specific examples.
2 After conducting some research, compare and contrast Judaism's view of death versus the Roman Catholic view.
3. Discuss how you felt when someone close to you was dying and then after the person died. Are any of the emotions present in the novel similar to yours? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Chapters 30 and 31 are related in that their titles are things to do with the daily household chores of the Martin farm. . Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How do the household chores as represented by the Quimper dish and dustpan symbolically relate to the power struggle between LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se? Give specific details/examples.
2. Why do you think Madeleine makes Victorine pick up the sharp pieces of the broken Quimper dish with her fingers rather than the dustpan? How does this represent power?
3. These two chapters seem to "seal" the fate of the two girls in pushing LÃ©onie towards a life in the physical/earthly world and ThÃ©rÃ¨se towards a life in the spiritual world. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Give specific examples to explain your view.
This section contains 3,197 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)