|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits breaking the Quimper bowl?
2. Why do the girls have to stay out of the woods?
3. Who tells the story about the bones, Jewish family, and Henri?
4. What information does Thérèse not believe from reading the letters?
5. What does Thérèse say Léonie can do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, LÃ©onie is fascinated by the family photographs in the main salon. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss the photographs that are mentioned throughout the novel and what they might imply about the persons in each picture.
2. Write an essay on the history of photography and how it has impacted one particular aspect of modern culture.
3. Why are humans fascinated with producing imagery, especially reproducing exact images of themselves and their environment? Do you think this is a way of obtaining immortality? How do you feel about photography and the pictures you have taken?
Essay Topic 2
Chapters 30 and 31 are related in that their titles are things to do with the daily household chores of the Martin farm. . Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How do the household chores as represented by the Quimper dish and dustpan symbolically relate to the power struggle between LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se? Give specific details/examples.
2. Why do you think Madeleine makes Victorine pick up the sharp pieces of the broken Quimper dish with her fingers rather than the dustpan? How does this represent power?
3. These two chapters seem to "seal" the fate of the two girls in pushing LÃ©onie towards a life in the physical/earthly world and ThÃ©rÃ¨se towards a life in the spiritual world. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Give specific examples to explain your view.
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel contains a complex interrelationship of themes, characters, and imagery, each character, even those not born at the time, is affected by the occupation of the Nazis and their execution of the Jewish family which Henri and Rose shelters. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Trace how Antoinette has been affected by the Nazi occupation of the Martin house and the village. Give examples and discuss what you think actually happened to Antoinette down in the cellar and how that informs the rest of Antoinette's life.
2. After doing some research, discuss how the country of France in general reacts to the Nazi persecution of Jews of French citizenship. Give examples and relate your research to what happens in this novel.
3. Discuss why you think LÃ©onie chooses to reveal what she knows about the events during the Nazi occupation. Is there any reason for going back to the past and trying to place blame? Should anything happen to the informant this long after the actual event? What do you think should be done?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)