|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suffers a minor stroke?
2. Who admits breaking the Quimper bowl?
3. What milestone occurs in Léonie's life?
4. What does the priest accept from Madeleine for which Thérèse judges him a bit harshly?
5. What does Thérèse feel the bishop and the others want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 29, the differences between the English and French and the Roman Catholic religion and the Anglican religion are very visible. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. How different are the English from the French as suggested in this novel? Give specific examples.
2. Do you think there is such as big a difference in the culture of the two countries in the 21st century as in the time frame when the novel first opens (1950's)? Why or why not?
3. What are the major differences between the Roman Catholic Church beliefs and that of the Anglican Church? (You may have to do a little research).
Essay Topic 2
Chapters 18 and 19 both obliquely refer to the rape of Antoinette by a German soldier during WWII. There are a number of references throughout the text that implies that ThÃ©rÃ¨se, and perhaps even LÃ©onie is a product of this rape. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. List and discuss the references throughout the novel that suggests that Antoinette is raped by a German soldier. Include dreams, conversations, and any other sources. What is your interpretation of the textual evidence?
2. Discuss the references that suggest that ThÃ©rÃ¨se is a product of the rape. Are there references that imply that LÃ©onie is not only ThÃ©rÃ¨se's sister, but her twin and is a product of the same rape? Find those references also. What do you believe about the parentage of the two girls? Support your statements with specific textual references.
3. Breasts are an obvious symbol of maternity in that women breastfeed their children. Discuss the implications of Antoinette's breast cancer and her role as a mother juxtaposed next to the fact that she is raped.
Essay Topic 3
Most novels have several themes, one or two main themes and one or more minor themes. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss one of what you believe to be a major theme. Give specific examples of how the theme is illustrated and why you think it is a major theme.
2. Discuss two minor themes of the novel. Give specific examples of how the themes are illustrated and why you choose those themes.
3. Briefly define several themes of the novel and show how they are interrelated, using examples from the book.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)