|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is trying to avoid Louis' return?
2. In what do the two women engage at the breakfast table?
3. What does Léonie do with a stream of sand in Thérèse's dream?
4. About what is Thérèse being hurt?
5. Who admits breaking the Quimper bowl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 6, ThÃ©rÃ¨se and LÃ©onie have a meal together. LÃ©onie takes special care in setting the table and choosing the menu. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Follow the thread of food and eating that occurs throughout the novel, giving examples of that theme and an interpretation of the examples you choose.
2. Food is essential to the continuation of life, and thus is often offered symbolically as well as concretely in many cultures. Compare and contrast the symbolism of food in several diverse cultures.
3. Discuss how food is treated in advertisements in the country in which you live, including billboard advertisements, magazines, t.v., and radio. What is the main purpose of the advertisements? Are they successful? Do they sway you?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, LÃ©onie is fascinated by the family photographs in the main salon. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss the photographs that are mentioned throughout the novel and what they might imply about the persons in each picture.
2. Write an essay on the history of photography and how it has impacted one particular aspect of modern culture.
3. Why are humans fascinated with producing imagery, especially reproducing exact images of themselves and their environment? Do you think this is a way of obtaining immortality? How do you feel about photography and the pictures you have taken?
Essay Topic 3
Though this novel contains a complex interrelationship of themes, characters, and imagery, each character, even those not born at the time, is affected by the occupation of the Nazis and their execution of the Jewish family which Henri and Rose shelters. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Trace how Antoinette has been affected by the Nazi occupation of the Martin house and the village. Give examples and discuss what you think actually happened to Antoinette down in the cellar and how that informs the rest of Antoinette's life.
2. After doing some research, discuss how the country of France in general reacts to the Nazi persecution of Jews of French citizenship. Give examples and relate your research to what happens in this novel.
3. Discuss why you think LÃ©onie chooses to reveal what she knows about the events during the Nazi occupation. Is there any reason for going back to the past and trying to place blame? Should anything happen to the informant this long after the actual event? What do you think should be done?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)