Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Thérèse not believe from reading the letters?
2. How is the church decorated?
3. What is the interior of the priest's house like?
4. About whom does Thérèse have violent dreams?
5. Who betrays Henri and Rose to the Nazis?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 16, Victorine and ThÃ©rÃ¨se are condescending about LÃ©onie's attitudes and tastes, and LÃ©onie feels what it is like to be discriminated against. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss the theme of discrimination in the novel, giving specific examples of occurrences throughout the novel (possible areas: class, Nationality, and ethnic origins, as in Jews).
2. Discuss the theme of discrimination for one major group as it occurs in your culture (class, race, sexual orientation, religion, handicapped, etc).
3. Discuss how discrimination has occurred in your own life or that of someone you know well. Include how you feel about it, what you may do to help the person or yourself, and what might help eradicate the discrimination.
Essay Topic 2
There are many statements throughout this novel about church, Jesus, Christianity, and in particular, Mary, the mother of Jesus. Additionally, reference is made about Jews, though the Jewish religion is not mentioned too much. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Take three characters and trace their references to religion throughout the novel. Evaluate how strongly each character feels about his/her spiritual life and what each believes. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
2. Compare and contrast the way the main characters and the village people view Christianity versus Judaism and Christians versus Jews. Be sure to cite specific examples to support your statements.
3. Is this novel about religion and spirituality? If references to religious ideas and beliefs were removed, how substantially would the novel be impacted? Discuss using specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Starting with the second chapter and as a thread throughout much of the novel is the idea of materialism and obsession with possessions, especially on the part of LÃ©onie. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Follow the theme of materialism throughout the story, giving specific examples of how and why this theme occurs.
2. Write an essay on the following idea: Is wealth/materialism in direct conflict with a spiritual life? Use examples from the book and from your personal life to illustrate your stance.
3. People from the United States are often accused of being materialistic and that this has greatly contributed to environmental problems. Write an essay either agreeing or disagreeing and support with examples and details.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)