|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thérèse say Léonie can do?
2. What does Victorine assume?
3. What milestone occurs in Léonie's life?
4. For what does Madeleine scold Thérèse?
5. What does Thérèse do with the package?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapters 21 and 22 demonstrates the complexity of the LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship when they are girls. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Does LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship seem more positive when they were children than as adults? Why or why not? Be sure to give specific examples to illustrate your stance.
2. Does the difference in LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship as children versus adults have anything to do with the nature of friendships between children versus that of adults and upon what each group bases their friendships? Discuss.
3. In several chapters, there is a sexual innuendo that seems to be a part of LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se's relationship as children. Do you agree with that statement--cite examples to support your stance? Do you think it is common for children of either the same sex or opposite sex to experiment with sex? Does this have any long-lasting effect upon their sexual orientation as adults? Did it in the case of LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 16, Victorine and ThÃ©rÃ¨se are condescending about LÃ©onie's attitudes and tastes, and LÃ©onie feels what it is like to be discriminated against. Choose one of the following questions and write a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. Discuss the theme of discrimination in the novel, giving specific examples of occurrences throughout the novel (possible areas: class, Nationality, and ethnic origins, as in Jews).
2. Discuss the theme of discrimination for one major group as it occurs in your culture (class, race, sexual orientation, religion, handicapped, etc).
3. Discuss how discrimination has occurred in your own life or that of someone you know well. Include how you feel about it, what you may do to help the person or yourself, and what might help eradicate the discrimination.
Essay Topic 3
The two main characters, LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se, are cousins (or perhaps sisters), though, they are in some ways mirror opposites of each other...or are they. Answer the following questions in a well-developed essay using examples from the book as well as personal experience:
1. In what ways are LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se complete opposites; give several examples and explain your choices.
2. In what ways are LÃ©onie and ThÃ©rÃ¨se similar; give several examples and explain your choices.
3. Which cousin seems to be more "real"? Why?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)